carlamo
New Contributor
Hi all,
My wife (a PE teacher) and I (software engineer) have over the past year started a business teaching children to code in our local area. We started as per Unscripted says, and simply threw up a landing page, posted to some facebook groups and took deposits for bookings from parents to secure their child's place. We then knew the market wanted this service and so proceeded to invest in the business. We started with 1 class, but have since grown to 3 classes each with 12 children and now we have a 20+ waiting list. Currently we net around $1200 a month on this venture, while still doing other work.
We are now looking to expand and I am in the process of systemising the business as much as possible (invoicing, class registers, onboarding, social media etc). We are obviously aware that a major drawback of the business is it's link to our time and so the only way to expand the physical aspect of the business is to employ staff.
We have a 17 year old helper who we pay currently, but we need to hire someone to now lead a new class as we want to explore the viability of disconnecting the time aspect and using someone else's time to deliver the class. After this, and the systemising, we are then looking to expand into other areas (other side of the city and then other cities completely).
Another aspect of the business I am exploring (but I believe is pretty much saturated by now), is the online aspect. Online coding classes are a dime a dozen, don't deliver on their promise to children and I believe this is why our club has been so successful so far. I am however exploring the prospect and selling our lesson plans online to both parents and teachers (maybe a netflix model or pay per lesson plan), but this is still an unproven route.
I would appreciate advice any of you could give me, including any personal experience of doing something similar.
Also what are people's opinions on this?
Much appreciate any help you can give.
Carl
My wife (a PE teacher) and I (software engineer) have over the past year started a business teaching children to code in our local area. We started as per Unscripted says, and simply threw up a landing page, posted to some facebook groups and took deposits for bookings from parents to secure their child's place. We then knew the market wanted this service and so proceeded to invest in the business. We started with 1 class, but have since grown to 3 classes each with 12 children and now we have a 20+ waiting list. Currently we net around $1200 a month on this venture, while still doing other work.
We are now looking to expand and I am in the process of systemising the business as much as possible (invoicing, class registers, onboarding, social media etc). We are obviously aware that a major drawback of the business is it's link to our time and so the only way to expand the physical aspect of the business is to employ staff.
We have a 17 year old helper who we pay currently, but we need to hire someone to now lead a new class as we want to explore the viability of disconnecting the time aspect and using someone else's time to deliver the class. After this, and the systemising, we are then looking to expand into other areas (other side of the city and then other cities completely).
Another aspect of the business I am exploring (but I believe is pretty much saturated by now), is the online aspect. Online coding classes are a dime a dozen, don't deliver on their promise to children and I believe this is why our club has been so successful so far. I am however exploring the prospect and selling our lesson plans online to both parents and teachers (maybe a netflix model or pay per lesson plan), but this is still an unproven route.
I would appreciate advice any of you could give me, including any personal experience of doing something similar.
Also what are people's opinions on this?
Much appreciate any help you can give.
Carl
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
