The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How was Brotips started? And why were they successful?

Mooza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Dec 2, 2011
I have an awesome idea similar to Brotips. Absolutely no competition right now as it's a fresh idea. Could someone give me some background to Brotips? Didn't they originate on Tumblr?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Before looking it up: Brotips was started by a bunch of high school/college students in Toronto on a Tumblr account with no intention to make money. All they wanted to do was share something funny. The site spread through word of mouth and then they purchased the domain name 'www.brotips.com'. They started to realize that running a site like that cost money, so they added an affiliate program to try and raise funds to keep the site going instead of running purely on donations. Thanks to Facebook and other social networking sites, Brotips spread past Toronto and hit, well, the world. The brand became so powerful (possibly due to its association with How I Met Your Mother's Barney Stinson) that Cuban decided to buy it, possibly for a few million dollars (but probably not more than that). Those kids will now be able to pay for their college tuition.

After looking it up: Now I'm starting to think that Brotips was built by a couple of kids who made money through web design. I can't seem to find much, but all I know is that the information I got 'before looking it up' was from that article that said that Mark Cuban bought the brand. Also, I'm pretty sure that the kids who made it aren't part of the board of directors anymore; they were probably ousted a while back.

Seriously, Bro: Mark Cuban Invests Big In Brotips | Fast Company

"Brotips started, like so many bro adventures, because of a girl. Some guy at Emory University had failed to score in the way he'd hoped, and he took to Facebook to vent his frustrations. It got real, man. Ugly. People were talking. That's when freshman Dominique Barfield left a little message--that "99%" line--on the offending dude's wall.

Within 12 hours, 140,000 people had repeated the line on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr. Barfield and some friends were like, whoa! They wanted to seize the bromentum, so they launched a Tumblr called Brotips, and started writing more tips--wisdom to build a better bro. They were brolific. Traffic grew. The team launched a Twitter and Facebook page, capitalizing on the brotential of what they were doing: They'd become a media company that produced little tips for big bros, content designed to be easily shared."

so yeah, that. sorry about the long and disorganized post

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
well I have no idea where it came from or how or when it started but the only place I ever seen or heard of bro tips is at the end of the tv sitcom how I met your mother!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.