The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to take a product idea to the next step once you run out of $

Idea threads

ATL_JB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Feb 11, 2009
Atlanta GA
After watching the Shark Tank and reading various post. I am sort of in the same boat as many others. I have an idea that I know there's a market for it, but I am sort of reluctant to just walk around and tell every one about it. Currently, there are a few products out there, but they are missing a great demographic, because of the price range and the size of their products or immobility. I hired a patent attorney to do the patent search and my idea is clear to obtain a patent. I've worked with a design company here locally in Georgia that has worked with a number of big companies nationwide in the past and they continue to do so today. Now, I am at the point where I have no more money for funding. So, what would you suppose I do at this point. I need to get the product to the next stage which is a prototype.

James

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Re: How to take a product idea to the next step once you run out

You might try posting a general ad on Craigslist that you are looking for an investor. Good luck.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Re: How to take a product idea to the next step once you run out

After watching the Shark Tank and reading various post. I am sort of in the same boat as many others. I have an idea that I know there's a market for it, but I am sort of reluctant to just walk around and tell every one about it. Currently, there are a few products out there, but they are missing a great demographic, because of the price range and the size of their products or immobility. I hired a patent attorney to do the patent search and my idea is clear to obtain a patent. I've worked with a design company here locally in Georgia that has worked with a number of big companies nationwide in the past and they continue to do so today. Now, I am at the point where I have no more money for funding. So, what would you suppose I do at this point. I need to get the product to the next stage which is a prototype.

James

You are at a point where you need to find customers.

You say there is a market, but what you have created has to be somewhat different and the only way to prove that product commercially is by actually getting signed purchase agreements or have people commit to pay you when you can deliver.

You can't really rely on what is already in existence. Many do, many fail. Because their product and your product are two worlds a part even if it may be of the same kind of genre.

This is the same mistake people selling their companies make. They make comparisons with other companies of a similar kind and what they sold for. Two apples are not at all two apples that sells at the same price (or sells at all). They are ALL different. Two worlds a part. One apple sells another does not. One apple sells for $100 another for 1 cent.

It is much easier getting someone to fund your venture if you can prove that people have lined up to pay you to get the product in their hands. That is your job as a startup guy. You are there to prove to the big guys that you have found gold in a remote area and that they should get in while it's hot and it has potential:).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.