The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to: Multiply $100 from buying/reselling from Craigslist

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
It wasnt an iphone 4, it was an iphone 4s (the new one) unlocked. They're pretty expensive if you buy them unlocked from the factory.

Did you get it from craigslist? You're right, $450 is damn cheap for a factory unlocked 4s.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

newbeginning

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 16, 2011

Adam_C

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 2, 2008
uk
Remember The Office episode when Dwight bought that years hottest selling toy?
There is something sold out everywhere and selling for a £40 premium on ebay... Now I need to try and find the damn things.

EDIT: Boom found 2, plus my staff discount. Maybe a £60 profit... Lalalalala la la ca-ching.
I get them tomorrow around 4:30pm, put straight onto ebay for a 1 day auction. I'm thinking one to end 9:30pm the other 10:30pm.

If they allow my discount for both, it's just over £70 each, they're selling for £130+.

It's the Christmas spirit I love most of all.

Giles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 11, 2007
wow, i could of bought a brand new iphone 4 for 300$. But I didn't see them going for any higher than 350$ on craigslist so bailed out.

Looks like I need to get on amazon

Any unlocked iPhones send me a PM if your willing to post to New Zealand :eusa_clap:

newbeginning

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 16, 2011
Just got back from midnight shopping spree for Black Friday. Spent a lot of money on hot electronics and video games. Hopefully something will sell online for more, but if it doesn't I can still return the lot risk-free for a refund. Now I just need to learn how to list things to maximize sales!

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Yeah, got it off craigs. Those kinds of deals wont come along very often. The guy bought it for his father in law only to find his father in law already bought one. He just wanted some of his money back so he threw it on craigs for cheap. It was legit, not stolen or broken.

D

DeletedUser394

I'm taking a slightly different approach and selling some of the things I already own but don't have a use for as well as plowing money from my job into this. I'll effectively be calling it my 'bankroll'.

Sold quite a few N64 games for $40 (about market value for the games in question.)

Will update this in two hours once the deal actually goes through.

Update: Sold without problems. Bankroll = $40

D

DeletedUser394

Just want to add, that in my area at least (western canada) there is a huge demand for N64 games.. which I never would have suspected. I'm selling one game alone for $50 (on ebay sells for $12-$25).

Going to probably buy a console with 25 or so games from someone for $80 and sell it back out in chunks for a nice profit.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Just want to add, that in my area at least (western canada) there is a huge demand for N64 games.. which I never would have suspected. I'm selling one game alone for $50 (on ebay sells for $12-$25).

Going to probably buy a console with 25 or so games from someone for $80 and sell it back out in chunks for a nice profit.

What games exactly? I see huge n64 bundles in my area all the time but I have yet to pick one up. Maybe we can work something out, cut a deal each way and make some money.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Not to be discouraging but you guys should start out with $500. Get a job if you don't have it, you can net 30-50% after you get experience... You can turn $500 into 5,000 quickly and keep going, your not going to learn much with old video games, buy cars or trucks/computers iPhones something that won't be a one time deal.

D

DeletedUser394

What games exactly? I see huge n64 bundles in my area all the time but I have yet to pick one up. Maybe we can work something out, cut a deal each way and make some money.

Anything to do with Mario or Donkey Kong, Zelda, etc is big money. Just sold super smash bros for $50, the local store sells it for $80, online it goes for $15-$25, and I bought it in a bundle (of a console, two controllers, and 15 games) for $70.

I can sell super smash bros for $50-$60 all day long. Had exactly 11 people willling to buy it for at least $40. I'm sure there are other good ones to buy for decent profits but I'm not too knowledgable on that. When I find a bundle, I just go through the games and see what they go for on ebay.

Other 'hot' ones that at least a dozen people have bid on from me, is Mario Tennis, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Paper Mario.

The lesser name/sports games I sell in bulk, but even then if I break up bundles that I buy, and sell them, I can easily double my money on each bundle bought.

For example this listing I can easily sell for $125 in a day... Bid right now is at $33 or something. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lot-3-N64-Vi...2535?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4842e77d97

The margins are too low for us to be shipping back and forth for a deal like that, but if you happen to find a really great deal i'm all for it.

D

DeletedUser394

Not to be discouraging but you guys should start out with $500. Get a job if you don't have it, you can net 30-50% after you get experience... You can turn $500 into 5,000 quickly and keep going, your not going to learn much with old video games, buy cars or trucks/computers iPhones something that won't be a one time deal.

I'm not starting with $100. Whenever I see a profit opportunity I buy it, regardless of price. Pretty sure most people who are actually doing this are doing the same.

Why limit oneself to $100? Makes little sense. and I have a job.

I don't even have a license, but I'm definitely looking at car/motorcycle deals if I find them. I have access to a 30 acre property so I could store them without problem.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX

I'm not starting with $100. Whenever I see a profit opportunity I buy it, regardless of price. Pretty sure most people who are actually doing this are doing the same.

Why limit oneself to $100? Makes little sense. and I have a job.

I don't even have a license, but I'm definitely looking at car/motorcycle deals if I find them. I have access to a 30 acre property so I could store them without problem.

Yea, pretty sure most of us aren't starting with $100. lol that was part of the competition guidelines.
I'm dealing/making a lot more than that, I just don't post ever item I buy/sell because its a lot. I am getting into bikes right now, and working on cars as well.

Adam_C

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 2, 2008
uk
Bought for £72 each, sold both for a combined £195. Paypal just took £7, then ebay fees on top?
I'm about £20-30 up, which isn't bad for doing nothing. Not great, but not bad either.

D

DeletedUser394

Found a pretty sweet N64 bundle for $100. Brought her down to $85 (probably could have gone lower).

Took inventory and a conservative estimate of the total dollar value when broken up is $350.

$350-$85= I stand to make a $265 profit.

Already may have lined up two buyers for $125 worth of the product. To break even all I have to do is sell 2 of the games (super smash bros. & Zelda) .... some people have no idea as to the value of what they have.

newbeginning

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 16, 2011
Help!

Guys I tried selling some video games on Craigslist, but my posts never appeared. Now I'm reading that it's called "ghosting" and that Craigslist automatically doesn't show posts based on some super secret rating algorithm. I will try reposting with fewer words as soon as my "timeout" is over, but has anyone run into this problem with Craigslist? I'm almost thinking that Ebay's fees are worth not dealing with Craigslist's BS?

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Start w/out buying anything and scale this idea up.

Approach businesses to sell their obsolete inventory to free up cash. You go in, take pics, get a list of items and list them. Split the take w/ the company if they do the fulfillment or you do it for them for a bigger cut.

Like a liquidator selling off their inventory. I'm sure a quick cataloging/listing system can be set up pretty easily. Any young enterprising hourly kid could go in w/ a camera and a laptop and do the work.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
I posted a test ad for an Apple iPod touch 64GB (4th Generation) - Black - Current Version, for 280, and didn't get a single email about it. Not sure whats going on considering they are 350 new, not even a lowball offer or anything! Any tips??

Update on this, I never reposted the ad, and ended up getting one reply to the ad, and one low ball offer of $200.

Clenjamin

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 13, 2011
NY
Would trying to buy things from other craiglists from other cities and telling the person to offer to pay for shipping work? If you need to pay for 15$ shipping on a 100$ profit Iphone still a 85$ profit (look i can do math).

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I personally wouldnt do that. For one a lot of people won't ship items, nor do people like having items shipped to them. Also, you would have to trust a total stranger to ship to another total stranger. Their is no trusted source to make sure you don't get scammed somewhere in the middle

Clenjamin

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 13, 2011
NY
Ive been looking on craigslist and i really only am looking at iphones cause i know the market for those. What else should i be looking out for and around what prices? I want things that sell well.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Going to go buy 2 Iphones 2 at once for 510$ should be able to sell for 800.

iPhone 2's? Not sure if we are thinking of different iphones but they are not worth 800, let alone 510. Unless you mean 4's? Then its not such a bad deal, still not 800 though, well maybe in your area. I see they go for about $3-350 on ebay.

So the other day I got a lot of items for $100. Long story short, a friend owed me $100 and wanted to give me items and deduct what he owed. At the end of the night I had $200, maybe more, worth of items included a Turtle beach headset and Julius Erving jersey worth $50-75. A lot of paintball stuff which I don't usually deal with but since I can easily make my $100 back I figured I'd do it.

cilaes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Mar 3, 2011
Had a lot of replies one times selling a violin for more than what i paid for it a year+ later. So, I bought another violin at $65, plan on selling it at $100.

D

DeletedUser394

I now pretty much control the N64 market in my city.

I own ~80% of the games currently for sale, and I can still make 50%-100%+ profit even when selling my games lower than the local video game store.

Bought a bundle for $100, can sell it out in chunks for $750. $650 potential profit for doing nothing (the person I bought it from drove to my house) lol.

EDIT: Within 5 minutes of posting a new ad, I already have an interested party for a piece of the package. hahaha this stuff is like cocaine!

DOUBLE EDIT: 3 minutes later I sold 3 things out of that package for $80. Too much fun!

D

DeletedUser394

Made a few purchases today, and I now own ALL of the N64s currently for sale in a city of 1 million people.

It's kind of fun running a monopoly.

I have two people coming by today to buy some games/consoles. I'm going to take inventory to see how much I'm up so far. Will update when I find out.

Clenjamin

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 13, 2011
NY
Wait your buying the N64 systems and any games? Or is it only certain games

Clenjamin

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 13, 2011
NY
Reason im asking is im only doing Iphones atm (its the only market i know). Im trying to branch out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.