The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to maintain ambition if our goal is provide value?

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 30, 2023
Alright, men, I've browsed through scores of threads, I've read and reread your comments and I finally get it - OUR MAIN GOAL IS PROVIDING VALUE! I've literally been selfish about the business for my whole life and OF COURSE it didn't work.

Now here's the question. I think @Subsonic or @heavy_industry said (shout out to you both btw, you are poggers) that we firsthand provide value, and "money is just a nice bonus".

How do we maintain ambition then? What are our goals?

Thx everyone!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
This is a good question. For me personally, I have focused entirely on showing up the way I want to - living by my values. The downside for me is that I feel really disconnected from goals/goal setting. I guess from my perspective the ambition comes from living my values and following through on things in a way that will result in success in my businesses. Not much of an answer, but I am interested to see what shows up in this thread. Thanks for posting.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 30, 2023
Alright, men, I've browsed through scores of threads, I've read and reread your comments and I finally get it - OUR MAIN GOAL IS PROVIDING VALUE! I've literally been selfish about the business for my whole life and OF COURSE it didn't work.

Now here's the question. I think @Subsonic or @heavy_industry said (shout out to you both btw, you are poggers) that we firsthand provide value, and "money is just a nice bonus".

Thx everyone!
I would also want to add that for the most of my life I had a number - $100m. I even have a post-it note "There are people in this world who make 100m$/year, why not you?"...
I don't know now. The goal is true, but... I look at it from a different perspective now.

Interesting how views change

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
OUR MAIN GOAL IS PROVIDING VALUE!
Again, I’m probably not in the majority here, but my main goal isn’t to provide value. My main goal is to make money.

The way I make money is by providing value just the same way that the way I win a tennis match is by focusing on how I play tennis.

The outcome (money) is a function of the process (value).

I think people who say “money is just an afterthought” are usually just virtue signalling, with some rare exceptions. Either that, or… they want to justify their own lack of results, by hiding behind the “delivering value” card.

Last edited:

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
How do we maintain ambition then?
You can acknowledge that YES! You want money and you are motivated to earn LOADS of MONEY.

There's nothing wrong with admitting what you want. It's human nature to want money no? Greek Cosmology says that there are 4 elements. Earth, Fire, Water, and Air. They forgot that money is the 5th element because money grants you freedom: the ability to buy your free time AND your choices.

I think people who say “money is just an afterthought” are usually just virtue signalling, with some rare exceptions.
100%. Can I give you more likes?

Ok, I am motivated by money, what's next?

You have to accept and follow a method that works. Or else nothing you do will work because you don't realize why people exchange money in the first place.

Because how do you get people to hand you money?

Answer the question: What's in it for them? Benefits. Benefits. Benefits.

Look at history. There have always been 2 ways to make fortunes(short-term vs long-term).

1) Rob and Steal for benefits or 2) Trade and Earn for benefits. (jk #1 is not a real option)

So the question is: how to do #2 efficiently?

Providing value, or rather relative value, at scale or magnitude is how you earn money fast without going to prison. It's the method. The only method that you can bet everything on because everything else is too slow or uncontrollable.

There are other legal options like betting your life on gambling or a high-paying job with no plans. But those are the same as committing mental seppuku to your dreams of having a 100 M.

100 M from a job or gambling... I can't even use the clown emoji dammit.

So Instead of focusing on the result(the money), you can focus on the BEST method there is (providing relative value at scale/magnitude). It's just a small mindset shift that makes a big difference.

But the thing is...

Why does this mindset shift influence your ambitions at all? It shouldn't.

Your old goal that sucks: I want to earn 100 M dollars.

Your new goal that wins: I want to provide enough value so people give me 100 M.

Aristoss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 11, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
You can acknowledge that YES! You want money and you are motivated to earn LOADS of MONEY.

There's nothing wrong with admitting what you want. It's human nature to want money no? Greek Cosmology says that there are 4 elements. Earth, Fire, Water, and Air. They forgot that money is the 5th element because money grants you freedom: the ability to buy your free time AND your choices.

100%. Can I give you more likes?

Ok, I am motivated by money, what's next?

You have to accept and follow a method that works. Or else nothing you do will work because you don't realize why people exchange money in the first place.

Because how do you get people to hand you money?

Answer the question: What's in it for them? Benefits. Benefits. Benefits.

Look at history. There have always been 2 ways to make fortunes(short-term vs long-term).

1) Rob and Steal for benefits or 2) Trade and Earn for benefits. (jk #1 is not a real option)

So the question is: how to do #2 efficiently?

Providing value, or rather relative value, at scale or magnitude is how you earn money fast without going to prison. It's the method. The only method that you can bet everything on because everything else is too slow or uncontrollable.

There are other legal options like betting your life on gambling or a high-paying job with no plans. But those are the same as committing mental seppuku to your dreams of having a 100 M.

100 M from a job or gambling... I can't even use the clown emoji dammit.

So Instead of focusing on the result(the money), you can focus on the BEST method there is (providing relative value at scale/magnitude). It's just a small mindset shift that makes a big difference.

But the thing is...

Why does this mindset shift influence your ambitions at all? It shouldn't.

Your old goal that sucks: I want to earn 100 M dollars.

Your new goal that wins: I want to provide enough value so people give me 100 M.
GOLD. Thanks!

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

Thx everyone!
The value first approach can be ambitious because value and money are interchangeable.
The idea is not to be selfless. Once you have hit your escape number there is time for charity.

You want to make money and providing value is the most effective way to make money.

You can keep the goal of making 100 million. But then think what that represents in value.
If a man would be willing to pay 10k for Sixpack abs then making 100 million is giving 10.000 men abs.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
How do we maintain ambition then?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc&ab_channel=RSA

You learn to control your nervous system and you tap into unlimited motivation.
This video is a good introduction on this art and science.

The more you will focus on the target, the harder you will miss it.

Success is a byproduct.
It cannot be pursued directly. You cannot hold your customers at gunpoint to buy your products.

Nourish the tree, and the fruit will come.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma

Success is a byproduct.
It cannot be pursued directly. You cannot hold your customers at gunpoint to buy your products.

This video is solid gold and explains some thoughts Ive been having lately on why many mindless but laborious tasks are so easy and others when thinking, creativity and action are involved have been quite challenging. Also love your last line on nourishing the tree.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 30, 2023

Success is a byproduct.

Have you, by any chance, read Can't Hurt Me?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

Thx everyone!
There are not contradictory.

One is intention and one is process.

I want to make money, and hence I want to solves customer’s problems and keep them happy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.