The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to learn about schemes and games people use for power, control and self entertainment?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

pcdeni

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 30, 2020
Hi,

Many times we hear about politicians taking care of their competitors, or in workplaces colleagues stepping over each other, but I never came across details of these schemes.
You might call it power plays or games, social transactions, and they are either only for (a sick) self entertainment or for power and control.
I was wondering if there are books or other sources that present the basics of them, or describe examples from which the reader can build intuition? Does anybody know about such?

Rest assured, I have no intention of using them against others. In the past I happened to find myself in the middle of such situations as the target, and realised the best would be to learn how to recognise them, predict the next move, and deflect them. But for that I would need to learn more about them first.
("don't provide surfaces for attack" didn't work, they just made up a reason and put me aside, all while asking for my advice on how could they improve their business)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Thank you! I have read that one already, and you are right, definitely a book on the topic. Are there others too?
Probably but its all sort of hackneyed. Google "social engineering" , any book with "persuasion" in the title.

Some of its timeless / evergreen because its just how human psychology is built. For instance reciprication (because we're social animals) , used car salesmen gets you a soda to drink while browsing vehicles. You could use this at work by always having a bowl of candy open to coworkers.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
And i wouldn't tell you.
You feel good now.
You have strength to repeal it now.
Then you happen to get weak,
a desire comes in,
light in your head turns from white to red and black.
Suddenly you ain't so tough,
you tell yourself -"it's only this one time"
and "nobody will find out".

... then you turn into kind of a person
that if allowed i would smear a concrete sidewalk with
until there were no blood and flesh in your body left.

"Maybe ants will have good use of you"

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Many times we hear about politicians taking care of their competitors, or in workplaces colleagues stepping over each other, but I never came across details of these schemes.

The first books that come to mind:

The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli.

The Art of War by Sun Tzu.

I think “Machiavellianism” is the term your looking for. Which by the way are personality types you want to avoid.

pcdeni

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 30, 2020
Probably but its all sort of hackneyed. Google "social engineering" , any book with "persuasion" in the title.

Some of its timeless / evergreen because its just how human psychology is built. For instance reciprication (because we're social animals) , used car salesmen gets you a soda to drink while browsing vehicles. You could use this at work by always having a bowl of candy open to coworkers.
Yes, that is how psychology works, but what about less innocent, more complicated "things"?

pcdeni

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 30, 2020
And i wouldn't tell you.
You feel good now.
You have strength to repeal it now.
Then you happen to get weak,
a desire comes in,
light in your head turns from white to red and black.
Suddenly you ain't so tough,
you tell yourself -"it's only this one time"
and "nobody will find out".

... then you turn into kind of a person
that if allowed i would smear a concrete sidewalk with
until there were no blood and flesh in your body left.

"Maybe ants will have good use of you"
I am not sure I get this, tried to google just to make sure I don't miss it, but if you think I am driven by revenge you are mistaken. I might be wrong, but then again, I didn't understand.

"It takes great talent and skill to conceal one’s talent and skill."
– Francois Duc de la Rochefoucauld

pcdeni

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 30, 2020
The first books that come to mind:

The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli.

The Art of War by Sun Tzu.

I think “Machiavellianism” is the term your looking for. Which by the way are personality types you want to avoid.
Thank you! These sound interesting, I will make sure to read them in the coming days.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
less innocent, more complicated "things"
Lol like getting chicks? Yeh google "PUA" you'll have a phd's worth of reading (some of it bearing a resemblence to reality in terms of body language , most of it hogwash and hocus pocus)

If you mean like techniques to manipulate people into giving you money , well thats called sales and marketing , it has endless resources dedicated to it.

If you have time nicholas cages "matchstick men" is a good film :D

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Any books by robert greene.
Sun Tzu.
Lookup nlp programming.

pcdeni

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 30, 2020
Lol like getting chicks? Yeh google "PUA" you'll have a phd's worth of reading (some of it bearing a resemblence to reality in terms of body language , most of it hogwash and hocus pocus)

If you mean like techniques to manipulate people into giving you money , well thats called sales and marketing , it has endless resou... Politicians and workplace makes you associate to pua, yeah right, like anybody believes that.

If you mean like techniques to manipulate people into giving you money , well thats called sales and marketing , it has endless resources dedicated to it.

If you have time nicholas cages "matchstick men" is a good film :D
... Politicians and workplace makes you associate to pua, yeah right. Don't try to steal the topic!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Learn Cold Reading.

Fundamentally if you want to protect yourself it is about understanding and reading people.

Very few thing is new under the sky, it drives down to pattern recognition.

Another area for wisdom is read some basic international relations. Interpersonal dynamic is pretty much the same.

Don’t be misled by books teaching you “psychology and manipulation.” These are just as bad as “get rich easy scheme.” Persuasion come from showing real money. Relationship come from building common interest/benefit.

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Oct 5, 2018
Forbidden Keys To Persuasion By Blair Warren
One Sentence Persuasion By Blair Warren
Influence By Robert Cialdini
How To Win Friends And Influence People By Dale Carnegie
Laws Of Human Nature By Robert Greene
Pimpology: The 48 Laws of the Game By Pimpin' Ken

Just read these and you'll never want to interact with humans again :D

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
Thank you! I thought NLP is for one's own programming, but is it also possible to program others?
Yes, of course. Do you think politicians' speeches, advertising slogans etc, are just a bunch of nice words thrown together?

Old-ish example, but a good and obvious one: listen to any of former UK PM Tony Blair's speeches on UK foreign policy supporting the US in the Iraq War. The support was generally unpopular here in the UK. Nearly every speech Blair make in relation to it contains repetitions of the phrase, 'we, like America ...", "we, like the American people ...", "we, like America, need to ..." etc.

It's a perfect example of NLP programming.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.