The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Get Startup Ideas

Idea threads

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009
Found this very interesting article from Paul Graham(YCombinator) about startup ideas.

"The way to get startup ideas is not to try to think of startup ideas. It's to look for problems, preferably problems you have yourself."

How to Get Startup Ideas

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Wanted to share that aswell. Great article indeed!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
"The way to get startup ideas is not to try to think of startup ideas. It's to look for problems, preferably problems you have yourself."

Gold.

To experience problems, you have to be out in the world and doing stuff! When I drove limos, I saw problems! When I ran an internet company, I saw problems! When I published a book, I saw problems! When you are "out there" you will see the problems -- solve any of those, and there's your startup!

And guess what? If you're not "out there", you aren't going to see the problems. Not many problems appear on the couch before your face as you are watching the latest American Idol.

So, get out there are start doing stuff, and this of course isn't just limited to entrepreneurship -- jobs will give you the opportunity to see opportunity!

Great posting.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I get start up ideas when I least expect it while I am "out and about". Its very hard for me to come up with ideas when I sit my a$$ down and say "alright think think think!"

images.jpg

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
A great read on ideas and startups. Definitely bookmarking this one.

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
Great article!

Yes the greatest startup idea is finding problems that you can solve and build a business around it.

It doesn't really matter if this is something that you're good at. We all have the skill to learn new things.

The important thing is to put your 100% to it to make it work.

Enzo_82

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jun 18, 2010
I fully agree. Now to find the right problem which needs to be solved. :)

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
To experience problems, you have to be out in the world and doing stuff! When I drove limos, I saw problems! When I ran an internet company, I saw problems! When I published a book, I saw problems! When you are "out there" you will see the problems -- solve any of those, and there's your startup!

And guess what? If you're not "out there", you aren't going to see the problems. Not many problems appear on the couch before your face as you are watching the latest American Idol.

So, get out there are start doing stuff, and this of course isn't just limited to entrepreneurship -- jobs will give you the opportunity to see opportunity!

It's also hard to find problems living in a small town where nothing happens! I find myself traveling to the bigger cities whenever possible just to stay in touch with life. I'm considering taking a sales job in a bigger city so I can make more connections and find more problems.

Nick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 25, 2011
PG's essays - not just this one, all of them - are in my opinion some of the most thought provoking articles on the startup scene ever written. The only downside to them is that he treats everything from the perspective of build a startup -> scale it up big by getting investors -> become the next facebook, twitter. I would love something written with the same depth but for a lifestyle, bootstrapped business that anyone can start mainly on his own (similar with MJ's advice).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.