The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to get content protected behind a paywall

Jonathan Polley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 26, 2016
Valencia, Spain
I need to set up streaming videos behind a paywall for an education membership site.

The website is running on Wordpress and we have plugins for membership. But one limitation with Wordpress.

We will eventually have well over 100gb of video content. Which we will need to host/stream and then embed in the site. But what we don't want is someone being able to take the URL and embed it in their site, or worse still to copy it, post it to Facebook and then be able to watch the videos. As that would circumvent the need for a membership.

Using a free service such as Youtube or Vimeo seems out of the question, not only because it's too easy for someone to gain access, but also due to adverts which would just appear amateurish on a paid for membership site.
Hosting the videos ourselves on the page also would not be a great option as the page would become too bloated, slow and not to mention we would be forking out astronomical fees through Wordpress for the extra storage

So my questions are:

1) What are the best services for storing and streaming this content? (Having looked around Amazon offer a range of cloud and streaming services that seem good and cheap.)

2) How can we ensure that people cannot just take the URL and embed it elsewhere?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Hosted storage really isn't expensive. Why can't you stick 100gb of video on the same server as your wordpress?

A good paywall plugin will stop people just embedding the URL successfully.

Nothing will stop people just downloading the videos. But that's not something I would worry about. We were told piracy would kill the film industry... lmao.

Concentrate on providing value, not potential theft.

Jonathan Polley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 26, 2016
Valencia, Spain
Yeah, after reading up on it since posting that, the membership plugin we have integrates with Amazon S3/CloudFront which is what we were looking at for distribution.

And of course there is always a way to pirate stuff, so it's not worth the effort to completely try to prevent it, but at the same time, trying to avoid an open door.

And of course creating valuable content is the most important thing. Which I think we have!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hope you don't mind, I changed your thread title in order to avoid confusion. It sounded like you wanted to steal someone's content when in fact, you want to protect it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I need to set up streaming videos behind a paywall for an education membership site.

The website is running on Wordpress and we have plugins for membership. But one limitation with Wordpress.

We will eventually have well over 100gb of video content. Which we will need to host/stream and then embed in the site. But what we don't want is someone being able to take the URL and embed it in their site, or worse still to copy it, post it to Facebook and then be able to watch the videos. As that would circumvent the need for a membership.

Using a free service such as Youtube or Vimeo seems out of the question, not only because it's too easy for someone to gain access, but also due to adverts which would just appear amateurish on a paid for membership site.
Hosting the videos ourselves on the page also would not be a great option as the page would become too bloated, slow and not to mention we would be forking out astronomical fees through Wordpress for the extra storage

So my questions are:

1) What are the best services for storing and streaming this content? (Having looked around Amazon offer a range of cloud and streaming services that seem good and cheap.)

2) How can we ensure that people cannot just take the URL and embed it elsewhere?

Thanks

I use Membership software - aMember Pro for my membership site. The URLs are protected, and it can be linked from your wordpress site (separate folder or subdomain and you don't need wordpress to use it).

Amazon S3 storage is where my videos are hosted. Real cheap and not on my own server.

Intergrating the two protects the videos and pages.

The one thing I don't like is the membership registration page look - perhaps I can redesign that using CSS, but I once had it hooked up to ultracart.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
S3/Cloudfront is your best option for low cost, low latency content delivery.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.