The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to flip/sell a new website?

vielera

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Nov 2, 2011
California
Hi guys! :)
I buy tons of domain names because I have an idea problem. I come up with loads of great ideas on a day to day basis, and usually buy the domain right away if I ever decide to pursue it. I have a few domains that can be really successful but don't have the time for them because I am working on 3 big projects. I was thinking of getting a website set up, put together my plan for these domains, and sell them. I've heard of people buying domains, building a business idea around them, and then selling for anywhere between 1-10k. How would I go about flipping them? Should I do just that and list them on craigslist or flippa and see if anyone is interested? I just feel like when my current businesses/websites take off I will have no time for these other domains or even interest to pursue. Any advice on how to sell a brand new website w/ business plan would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ryantreb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jan 4, 2012
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Do you have friends/ coworkers who might be interested? It would probably be easier to sell to someone you already have some rapport with. That being said, I see e-books all time advertising how to "flip" websites. Don't see why you can't do it. There are other websites you can sell them on also. Ebay, etc.

s_sherrell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Oct 26, 2011
Chicago
Wow, I think you are probably about 3 years too late to really capitalize on the flipping fast trend. I did it a few years ago, but market dried up fast with downturn in economy. Used to be able to flip easily for a few hundred with a little technique I used.
Flippa is going to be your best bet, but the market for those has tightened and people want to see either traffic or revenue stats at least. Forget ebay.
You can list just domains on Godaddy or Sedo to sell if you are just trying to unload fast. Otherwise you are going to have to develop them or study up on advanced domaining tactics. At the very least they need to be exact search phrase .com domains that have a good amount of searches per month (about 5,000).
If you give me some more specifics I may be able to help a bit more, but flipping is no longer as easy as it once was.

vielera

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Nov 2, 2011
California
Well that's the thing most people want to see traffic or some kind of income before purchasing a website. I'm sure it is still possible to sell a new website but what is the best way to go about it? I don't think the domain alone will sell for much, but one of the sites is very brandable an can be turned into a huge business. I guess I will see what happens, and if not it goes on the back burner for when I have more time for it. I feel someone could profit from it big time and extra cash for me right now, instead of the domains just sitting there.

s_sherrell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Oct 26, 2011
Chicago
Well that's the thing most people want to see traffic or some kind of income before purchasing a website. I'm sure it is still possible to sell a new website but what is the best way to go about it? I don't think the domain alone will sell for much, but one of the sites is very brandable an can be turned into a huge business. I guess I will see what happens, and if not it goes on the back burner for when I have more time for it. I feel someone could profit from it big time and extra cash for me right now, instead of the domains just sitting there.

Alright, let me give away what I used to charge people for back in the day:smxB:
If this is truly brandable and can make money, then here is your way to make money with literally NO work:

Find a relevant product or service that matches this market.
Make sure they have an affiliate program you can sign up for.
Once approved get your affiliate link. This will go direct to manufacturer's site and credit you with any sales.
Take that link and go to your domain registrar.
Put in a forwarding pass through on your current url to your affiliate link. Make sure it passes through and still displays your website name. Should see that option when you forward, I forget exact box now.
Voila, your great name will now produce you sales direct to your affiliate link with no work from you!

You will not be able to use SEO for this though. But if it is as great as you say, you are going to get direct traffic and you can buy solo ads, banners, ezine, etc. So if you are willing to pay for some traffic (not thru Google) you can make money on these. If you get some sales data then you can go and sell it on Flippa. Baiscally that is how I used to do it, but the front end was a bit more focused on niches I knew were hot.

nipsid

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 6, 2008
Phoenix

Even a new site will not sell for a lot. It needs to have a history of income and then you usually can expect about 12x the monthly revenue. That is what you would expect, sometimes more or less depending on other factors. So a site making 100/mo for the past 6 months should sell around 1.2k.

Even if you think the site can be huge you have to convince someone that it is, which is difficult.

If you were to just sell the domain you can try namepros.com

vielera

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Nov 2, 2011
California
Thanks to everyone for all the advice! Greatly appreciated! I am going to create a few niche websites which I can do within a month, and challenge myself to see how soon I can start generating income. I came across some good information https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/web-businesses-internet-marketing/36499-guide-how-find-create-generate-money-niche.html and it really motivated and challenged me. I am going to start with my first niche website and then move on to the other domains. Will see how things go!

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.