The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Find Yourself

Anything related to matters of the mind

All In

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jan 24, 2014
CA, FL, and VA
I was in a much darker place in my life 9 years ago, when this story occurred.

I hope it helps anybody experiencing, or who might have experienced something similar, feel like they aren't alone.

-------------------------

How To Find Yourself

As the sunlight crept in around the blinds, her phone started ringing. Probably her boyfriend. He went home a couple of hours ago. I'm sure he couldn't sleep either. We did the same drugs the night before. The ecstasy in particular was keeping me awake. And we had the brilliant idea of crushing and snorting more tabs at 5 am to try to keep the high going. My heart and thoughts were racing. My brain and body and soul ached.

The phone went silent. And started ringing again a few seconds later. She didn't react. Maybe moved a little bit. The ringing stopped. I couldn't tell if she was awake enough to notice and not care, or was seriously that passed out. The phone rang again. How could somebody sleep through that? Well, actually, I know the answer to that. Had I taken different pills last night, I'd be right there with her. But I don't think she took anything.

The phone rang again. He's probably getting paranoid by now, I thought. He knew I was here. Should I answer? I hadn't done anything with his girlfriend. She's my friend too. I don't know. I'm just laying here, trying to figure out where my mind is at. And where I am at. Okay, in bed. Next to this girl. Who I like, but I'm not going to make a move on. She's asleep! Why am I back to this train of thought?

The phone rings again, and again. And again. Maybe 30 calls later, she wakes slowly. She looks over at me for a bit. Then to the phone. Expressionless, she flips it open, spends a few seconds looking at the screen, clicks some buttons, and closes it. The Motorola Razr. You remember that phone, don't you? Did you want one? I did.

I sit up. Move my legs. My actions are slow, weak, and tepid. I bring my legs around to the side of the bed. Put my feet on the floor. I stand up and walk to the mirror.

What? Who is that? I can't recognize myself. My facial expression is shifting and fluid. No consistency at all. I can't tell what I'm feeling. I can't tell what the person in the mirror is feeling. It definitely isn't me.

"I don't recognize him."

After a slight pause, she calmly says, "It'll be okay."

I don't know whether or not I believed her. But at that point I had no choice. Who was I? How'd I get here? Why couldn't I do something seemingly simple like recognize myself in the mirror?

Her boyfriend came over. We were going somewhere. I don't know where. I didn't know what I was supposed to do. So I just came along. I think she guided me. I don't really remember. But neither of them minded that I came along.

Outside, the sun was brighter than I remember. Looking down the street, the ground wasn't being very cooperative and kept bending, warping and twisting up and down a few feet. Unnatural and somewhat random color hues filled sections of my vision. I'm fairly certain the concrete wasn't purple tinted. And I thought the sky was a bit less red than what I saw. I hadn't slept in two days so mild hallucinations can be expected. But this was exceptionally strange behavior for reality.

We got in the car and drove. To where, it didn't matter to me.

We parked. As I finished a cigarette in the car a girl walked by. She motioned like she was putting a cigarette out. That must have been a signal to me. I felt naked and exposed. I felt like everyone around me knew more about everything than I did. I felt so lost.

We went into our destination. A nail salon. Her boyfriend and I sat in the front. On the other side of the waiting area the tiles wouldn't stop shifting color hues and bending in strange patterns. The chair that sat atop the tile did similar things. I looked over at a couple of women. Were they just looking at me? I thought so. My pupils are dilated heavily. Who knows what I look like. I couldn't recognize me. So maybe I look like some sort of alien. I don't know.

Some amount of time goes by. I don't know how much. I don't remember. I didn't really care.

Back in the car. I want to cry but I can't. I don't know why. My brain hurts. My heart hurts. My soul aches. I can't think. I'm scared to think. I think everybody can somehow tell what I think. So I just sit.

At our next stop. I don't know what we're doing here, but I recognize the place. It's right by a park. I recognize this park. It has that rocket ship. I kind of want to go to the rocket ship. I asked if I had time to go to the rocket ship. I really wanted to go to the top. We had time. So I went.

I climbed up, slowly, weak. A kid, maybe five or six years old is energetically playing on the ship. I pass him on my way up. I kept climbing.

When I reach the top I sit. I stare out at the tops of the trees along the creek. They're big, tall, lush, and green. The wind blowing through them creates a comforting, gentle noise. It relaxes me slightly. Enough to cry.

And then I cry.

I cry in pain. I cry for the loss I feel within myself. Of what? I'm not sure. Maybe just myself. I hurt. I am tired. I am beaten down. I cry harder.

Then I pray. Not to a religious deity, but to the energy. The presence. The force. Whatever you want to call it. Whatever it is about reality that we can't explain that drives us to exist. Whatever drove us to drift and evolve from the specs we were when life first showed up on earth into the beings we are now. Whatever beautiful laws of the universe that we can't understand with our limited perceptions made the matter of the universe coalesce into the beings we are now. Beings who are self-aware.

And I felt pretty far away from self-aware.

I ask for help. I ask for the pain to go away. I ask to find myself again. To feel myself again. To know myself again. I ask to be healed. To feel alive again.

Silence.

And then, I hear a call. She's telling me it's time to go. I slowly climb back down the rocket ship.

I'm back in the car. In the backseat. I'm confused. I sit in silence, reflecting on my recent experience, and then speak.

"Will I find him on the rocket ship?"

For some reason I felt it necessary to reference myself in the third-person.

"No," she said gently.

"Will I find him in Tyler?"

I was enrolled in college at UT Tyler at the time.

"No."

I don't know where my next question came from. But it came from somewhere unexpected. Somewhere other than my conscious mind. Somewhere deep within me that still functioned despite the constant battering I was doing to myself during that time in my life.

So I asked it.

"By the actions I choose?"

I teared up as I said it. It was almost a rhetorical question.

Definitively, she replied.

"Yes."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
hmm...well I'm glad you found yourself!

All In

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jan 24, 2014
CA, FL, and VA
Ubermensch,

I think that's in essence what I did. The story above is one of a few similar incidents I experienced. It was likely substance induced psychosis.

At age 16 is when I think my "search" started. When I started searching, I didn't really know what I was looking for. But sometimes it would become clear to me, sometimes on certain drugs, or during certain experiences, certain music, certain people around me. What it was? I don't know. It's ineffable to me at this time. But I started trying every drug I could get my hands on to explore different states of mind, and "find" whatever it was I was looking for.

After exhausting myself, my mind, my body... and not having a conceptual frame of reference for what it was I was searching for (I think I was simply looking for a strong sense of identity the whole time), I ironically ended up loosing a large portion of my sense of self.

To put it in Fastlane terms, I was looking for the single event that would define me as a person. To calm me. For me to be at peace. The right state of mind, the right place, the right time, the right drug. In relentless pursuit of this Event, I completely disregarded the Process of living well, and all that entails. Only once I started getting serious, years later, about the process of taking care of myself, did things start falling back into place. One of which includes my reflection.

-All In

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Find yourself by creating yourself? Something I got off a HSP (highly sensitive person) site.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Do you write books? What a great, great read. You could have great success with Kindle fiction books.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Logan.H

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 29, 2014
0yrRNLfMPuOocZLAenBOGJKHXf3cWfy448Ed-QLDxOST_Ytj3vUzGtNtHXtM6C_5x5YiDwnFkDlrLAFn67ox-9DFVwYOyf-nwfIKIkEyBx8D6ySLWQsvAuLazk7KnsYz28KREKAv5EKr5Igx=w236-h314-nc

If you know what this is, I don't need to explain. But, I am assuming most of you don't. The quote isn't by the guy in the picture, but from his nephew, who didn't know who had a loss sense of self, quoting what his uncle would advise him to do to find himself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.