The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to decide what to do with a SHED?

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Hey Guys,

Wasting no time after closing Flip#3 of the year, I just put 2 other properties under contract. Both have sheds on the property, which I understand from appraiser friends can supposedly add around $10-12k to the value of a property.

The problem I have with the sheds is that:

House #1: There are 2 sheds -- A metal cheapo looking one, and a wooden one that just doesn't look right where it is in the yard. It's also dingy, and the roof looks way old. I'm leaning towards tearing them both out.

House#2: There is 1 large shed (Like 15X20) in the back yard -- Looks like a "Tuff Shed" sitting on a cinderblock foundation, and the inside is set up like a workshop with workbenches, etc... It's a nice shed -- but it is in the back yard at an angle, and just doesn't look right to me. I'm leaning towards keeping it, and maybe moving it... Not sure how much work that would be though... If I'd need a crane to pick it up or something, and then if it would stay together, etc

Anybody have input on how you decide what to do with sheds? I personally favor having a larger backyard for the buyer to see, and I only like sheds if they are out-of-the-way, as an added bonus -- but nothing in my line of sight from the windows on the back of the house, etc.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak :coffee:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Cut a hole in one side, fab a bar top, cover the front and sides with cheap bamboo, place some pavers or seating stones in front for a patio like feel, and wazzam, a tiki hut.

Oh I forgot the straw roof covering that comes on a roll!

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio
Look around the neighborhood and see what everyone else has. I've seen workshop sheds sell houses. The blue collar types love them. If the neighborhood has more pickups than 4 door sedans it will probably make sense to keep them. I agree with you as far as your opinions on the look, etc. But, we are not your target market. At least I don't think we are.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
JScott-

Not sure about your market, but out here, we'd install new windows, put in a dutch door, repaint it and add shutter, and Voila! Instant artists studio/potting shed/kid's playhouse!

Landscape around it to make it cute. This is very popular for some areas of the country-- featured in magazines all the time.

Just one example:

Home Studios by Summerwood :: Premium Studio Kits

That being said, I had a really crummy shed on one of my props. Tore it down and built 2 bigger ones.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Hak-

The Tuff Sheds are easy to move around (15x20's kinda big though-- that's like a 1 car garage!). If it's got a floor, most sheds can move on skids being pulled by a 4WD.

For Tuff Sheds, bottom floor is built as one pc (usually), and the sides are prefabbed and nailed on onsite. Then the roof is built onsite.

If it's one pc, you can get rollers underneath and move it fairly easily. For a 15x20 floor, though, I'm guessing it's not one pc.

To add value: Add a cheap sliding glass (or my fave, double french) doors, 6' wide that overlooks the backyard.

Instant office/studio.

Sorry I don't have pix of the ones I did-- both houses I sold over $700K had 'em.

-Russ H.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Hey Guys,

Wasting no time after closing Flip#3 of the year, I just put 2 other properties under contract. Both have sheds on the property, which I understand from appraiser friends can supposedly add around $10-12k to the value of a property.

The problem I have with the sheds is that:

House #1: There are 2 sheds -- A metal cheapo looking one, and a wooden one that just doesn't look right where it is in the yard. It's also dingy, and the roof looks way old. I'm leaning towards tearing them both out.

House#2: There is 1 large shed (Like 15X20) in the back yard -- Looks like a "Tuff Shed" sitting on a cinderblock foundation, and the inside is set up like a workshop with workbenches, etc... It's a nice shed -- but it is in the back yard at an angle, and just doesn't look right to me. I'm leaning towards keeping it, and maybe moving it... Not sure how much work that would be though... If I'd need a crane to pick it up or something, and then if it would stay together, etc

Anybody have input on how you decide what to do with sheds? I personally favor having a larger backyard for the buyer to see, and I only like sheds if they are out-of-the-way, as an added bonus -- but nothing in my line of sight from the windows on the back of the house, etc.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak :coffee:
A wood shed has worn out its welcome if it is over 20 years old.
My dad built sheds for twenty years sO This is an area of expertise for me.

Metal sheds actually last less about five to ten years depending on the model. some good ones last longer like corrugated tin.

I would tear down the cheapo metal shed unles it cleans up nice.

The other two can be reneovated and moved with paint and and a new roof with a ridge vent.

You can move them by placing them on large pipes and rolling them using a 2X12 pressure treated plank as a lever. but 15X20 is too large to move any distance. Maybe just straighten out the angle its on. You might have to use a crane but you take a big chance of it breaking.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Hak-

To add value: Add a cheap sliding glass (or my fave, double french) doors, 6' wide that overlooks the backyard.

Instant office/studio.

-Russ H.

That sounds like a neat idea! I'm going to look into that. It's sounding like I've already got a lease-option buyer for the place that has the big tuff shed, so I might just end up leaving it if they are cool with it, but if they bail and I'm putting this on the market -- That sounds like a way cool idea.

Appreciate all the comments & suggestions gang!

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.