The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Become A Runner

Peal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 4, 2020
Western U.S.
I looked back at old posts and didn't see many on how to get started with running. So I thought I would share some of the things I wish I had known about it before I started.

For context, I am 32, and have been running 3-6 days a week for the past eight years. I was training for my second marathon right as Covid hit. By all measures, I am the definition of average. I never ran competitively, nor have I had a coach or anything like that. I just started doing it, and have learned a lot along the way.

To rewind a bit, at age 24 I was in a pretty dark place. Nothing particularly bad had happened, I just felt fatigued, down and irritable. It may have been a bout with depression. And I don't know why, but one day I put on some basketball shoes and Jordan shorts that went down past my knees, and started going for short runs. They were probably a mile or two and I would do maybe 2-4 per week. After a couple of weeks, I had successfully turned it into a habit.

It took a few months before I started to realize how it was benefiting me. It took years to realize the full extent of those benefits (maybe I still don't). But here are list of things that running did for me that aren't mentioned very often:
  • Improved skin - I used to battle with severe acne, and my skin has cleared up ten fold (naturally)
  • Less irritability - I like to say, it gets my demons out and I don't have the same anger issues I used to
  • Less stress - I feel more at ease with stuff that the old me would feel tense about
  • More energy - As an introvert, time for myself = more energy
  • Sense of accomplishment - Even if I have an unproductive of work, I can still say I busted out a good run
  • Time to disconnect - I don't run with music or with my phone, it's just me and my thoughts and I think that is important
  • You just feel sharper - There are studies that show the correlation of exercise and being in nature with improved memory and cognitive function. Runs get you out of your home or gym and into the environment we evolved to be in
So if I could talk to the 24-four-year old me, the one who was just about to start running, this is what I would say:
  • If you can make it two weeks, you've won a big battle. Congratulate yourself for reaching that milestone because after that, it will start to feel like a natural part of your weekly routine
  • Until you've reached that two week mark, don't buy any equipment. You have to prove to yourself that you are committed before spending money on anything. Basketball shoes will do for now
  • Plan your route ahead of time using a tool like mapmyrun.com
  • Drink plenty of water - aim for half your weight in ounces each day
  • Don't eat less than three hours before the run
  • You can bring your phone, but don't listen to music - just be with your thoughts
  • Use an app like Strava to track your run - Strava allows your friends to see the activity and will motivate you to stick with it
  • Keep a slow and steady pace for these first few weeks. Go at a pace where you could have a conversation with someone else
  • Stretch after your run - here is a good video on some stretches
  • Eat at least a snack within 20-40 minutes of running
Once you've reached your two week milestone, and you are feeling committed, you should buy some better gear. Here are some gear recommendations:
  • There is nothing more important than your shoes! They will improve your efficiency and prevent injury. Go try on a bunch of different pairs at a running store and get professional help from one of their employees. I use Hoka Clifton 7s and absolutely love them. But you should wear what feels right, and what is appropriate for your distance.
  • Socks are second most important. Cotton socks are not going to cut the mustard. These Balega Running Socks are expensive but they are the definition of value
  • Shorts - They look and feel dorky at first but short shorts really improve your efficiency Baleaf running shorts are good value
  • Apple Watch or Garmin - Bringing a phone can be clunky. A watch will allow you to track the run and keep tabs on your heart rate
  • If you aren't up for buying a new watch, try one of these to hold your phone
  • O2 Gold - The only supplement I'd recommend. Take two of these before a real intense workout and it will feel like you have a third lung
  • Foam roller - I can't stress how important it is to stretch out. Foam rollers are an easy way to aid your stretching and prevent injury
One of the things I like about running most is, it doesn't take a lot. You can do it by yourself. You can do it if you're broke. You can do it if you're in the city or in the woods. You can do it if you're in the middle of a global pandemic.

If you're interested in getting started, please let me know how I can help.

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
good write up!
Running keeps you healthy, if you dont overstate it.

often its hard to kepp running, not only in the first two weeks.
So my way to run regularly is
1. to have the running gear ready to use on my car And run, when I m on the way anywhere. I
Its harder to start from Home, packing, driving to the running destination and run . Better just stop where you see a good running route, run your time, dry with the towel you have taken with the gear and go on with your day.

2. don’t wait for someone to run with you! Running only with a partner will stop you from running In the long run.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
There is an app called couch to 5k that is very popular.

Don't know if it is a world wide thing but the National Health Service of the UK has promoted it for years and millions of people have used their programme.

Someone is talking to you telling you exactly when to walk then jog etc like an Army Drill Instructor would

Dan

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
O2 Gold - The only supplement I'd recommend. Take two of these before a real intense workout and it will feel like you have a third lung

Placebo in my opinion - none of those ingredients (apart from the whey protein) really do anything.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Placebo in my opinion - none of those ingredients (apart from the whey protein) really do anything.
Running is like entrepreneurship: no shortcut available.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
I ran a marathon last year and my biggest advice for those who get started is take it one day at a time. I would say find your tribe to help you get started and go little by little, step by step towards further improvement.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I've been running every week for the whole year during the lock downs (3x week doing hills/stairs) lately been having a bit of pain so stopped, just now I went out for a walk and can feel my knees being a bit sore... and my hip slightly flaring up, not sure what's going on with my body....

Hesitant to run again, although I'm itching to get out. :arghh:

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I've been running every week for the whole year during the lock downs (3x week doing hills/stairs) lately been having a bit of pain so stopped, just now I went out for a walk and can feel my knees being a bit sore... and my hip slightly flaring up, not sure what's going on with my body....

Hesitant to run again, although I'm itching to get out. :arghh:
My experience as my knees always ars sore, my hips always have problems:
My knees and hips are damaged from accidents, so I think I m an extreme example.
When you make a break, starting again is as hard as starting new.
I oftenhave to run half an hour, before I can see becoming the pain better or worse.

So my advice is:
reduce your speed, shorter strides to reduce the impact on the joints.
Don t stop running at all because of pain, adjust the intensity.

My docs told me not to run at age of about 20to avoid damage. Of joints. They told me I couldn’t walk any more at 50 when I will run again.

Some years later a Doc told me, that I can do everything and my body will tell me if not. That was the best advice I got from a doc.

Now at 55 I have problems running half a marathon. My knees are sore, when I run 5 miles. And every doc I meet admires me for still Making my sports at my age.
And now they say, I only can still do it because of never having stoped running and other sports.

Go out and make your run slower, but do it!

runnaboi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 25, 2020
Australia
I don't currently run, I used to. But thought because of my user name I'd better comment... :smile:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
My knees and hips are damaged from accidents, so I think I m an extreme example.
I oftenhave to run half an hour, before I can see becoming the pain better or worse.

So my advice is:

My docs told me not to run at age of about 20to avoid damage. Of joints. They told me I couldn’t walk any more at 50 when I will run again.

Some years later a Doc told me, that I can do everything and my body will tell me if not. That was the best advice I got from a doc.

Now at 55 I have problems running half a marathon. My knees are sore, when I run 5 miles. And every doc I meet admires me for still Making my sports at my age.
And now they say, I only can still do it because of never having stoped running and other sports.

I'll give it a shot!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

So my advice is:

Went out at a slow pace today, feeling good!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.