The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to beat the market?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

thecoach

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 29, 2007
Regina, SK, Canada
So since we are looking for the 'fastlane' of doing things, what is your 'fastlane' way to investing. What have you done to consistantly beat the market?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
I guess for me, the way I beat the market is, I have it in my mind to not try and beat the market. I always feel I cant beat it, so I trade in a way that allows me to go with the flow of the markets and adjust to its movements. For me at least this has been the way to consistent profits. The market starts to feel like more of a tide that ebbs and flows, and when you feel you can go in either direction, the emotion gets less and less and you just sort of "go with the flow" if you know what I mean.

Colbey

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 7, 2007
London, England
I’m still learning, but I do ok using a mix of technical and fundamental analysis (CANSLIM variant). I feel it is something you can learn to do, although just like anything else some have more aptitude than others (yes I also read RD forums).

I feel one of the most important things is to not be emotional, this can be really hard to avoid. Set targets for max loss etc when you buy.

Minimise risk. If a stock is going down and you don’t understand why, or its due to a panic its often safer to just get out and see what happens, you can always get back in if things improve.

Don’t make decisions based on tips, top 10 stocks etc, do your own research as its your money at risk.

thecoach

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 29, 2007
Regina, SK, Canada
right, that's obvious, but how do you know when it's reached it's low? or when it's reached it's high? Example....If you owned google stock when would you sell it at it's 'height'? When it hit $200? 400 bucks is pretty high? So was $500, $600 and $700? When it was at $400 did you determine that it was too high to buy? As it turns out it was pretty low at $400 as well.

Or do you just say, "meh, I've made a couple bucks, let's cash in"

What basis do you use to determine if the value of a stock is low enough to buy or high enough to sell....do you have a certain ratio or target that you use?

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
I'm a fundamentals gal.
I've never lucked out and bought at the bottom
(Jon, stop laughing)
and when I buy I expect to own it for at least a year.

What has interested me lately include
- stocks with prices less than the net book value
- income stocks on a (smart) buying binge
(investors bail 'cause they want the pay out
plus that first costly quarter scares the short term investors)
- U.S. stocks or stocks operating in the U.S.
(because of the exchange)

that sort of thing.

I usually prefer some sort of income
while I wait around.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Google is a great example of beating the market if you got in early, no matter where you stepped out. Timing the exact lowes and highs of stocks is a different topic than beating the market.

I beat the market by focusing on about 4 stocks. I learn their rythm, and then watch for dips to buy. I go up 20% or more, then I sell and sit in cash till there is another buy. This works best for me with options. The hardest thing for me is the to have the patience to sit on cash till the next opp comes up. My average annual return for the last 7 years is 65%, and that is with getting royally spanked this last month (broke my own rules and now am paying for it.)

Going back to google, if you starting tracking that for a few months, learning how it perfoms against the general market, and how it reacts to company news and market news, you will begin to feel its rhythm and know when to buy. For me it is that simple.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I agree, my point is google more than beat the market, so you did not need to find the top.

Adjusting for risk? Use options. If your data is correct, buy calls. $500 investment, unlimited upside, downside. $500. Your risk is now completely isolated.

Why am I caught with my pants down right now? I violated this rule, and decided to by the stocks and sell covered calls. ahh such is life. I will just take the losses to reduce my taxes for this year.

Last edited:

Edge

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas
Use options to buy low and sell high. After a move up sell gamma with negative delta. After a move down, sell gamma with positive delta. I think this increases your probability and risk:reward over trying to pick the top/bottom buying the underlying outright.

I've found that using options keeps me from hanging on too long since you are dealing with monthly expirations.

T

TheGreatBear

I agree, my point is google more than beat the market, so you did not need to find the top.

Adjusting for risk? Use options. If your data is correct, buy calls. $500 investment, unlimited upside, downside. $500. Your risk is now completely isolated.

Why am I caught with my pants down right now? I violated this rule, and decided to by the stocks and sell covered calls. ahh such is life. I will just take the losses to reduce my taxes for this year.

I mean... if you go long S&P futures with 2:1 leverage, you might make twice what the S&P returns next year, but your risk-adjusted return is still market return...

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
Edge,

what do you mean by "After a move up sell gamma with negative delta. After a move down, sell gamma with positive delta"?

sounds all "Greek" to me! :smxB:

what do you look for specifically in laymen terms. I don't use the Greeks all that much, so Id like to get your take on how you use Gamma.

thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.