The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How not to do it.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Hello,

I am writing this hoping that other people can learn from it, myself included.

WARNING : This is a long post.

Having read again The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted , years after I first found them, I have arrived at a conclusion.

My background.

I moved to the UK from an Eastern European country at 18. I’ll be 25. next month MJ DeMarco’s books would name me a “dreampreneur money chaser”.

I wasn’t always this way.

When I was 18, I noticed a gap in the tie market. The gap was in my imagination, of course, so I spent months designing, prototyping and perfecting an ecommerce store selling ties( not bow- ties) The ties came with knots already made and they had a small clasp at the back for easy attachment. In my head I was saving people the time and dreadfulness of learning to tie a tie, therefore providing value.( yes, I know, a life saver!) I priced them accordingly, and they were cheaper than a regular tie.
There were similar products with rubber bands for children, used in schools, but my market were adults. I launched, adapted and sold some 200 ties. At the peak of my “tiexperience”, I lost interest because it wasn’t growing at the speed I was expecting, brainwashed by success stories.

I really like clothes so 2-3 months after the “tiexperience”, some magical idea hit me.

Augmented reality was slowly becoming a thing and I figured that a try-on AR app would be a hit. Bear in mind this was 2014 and this kind of apps today still look like they’re made in 1998.
I taught myself everything with the help of our friend Google, and 4 months of psychosis later I had a MVP( minimum viable product). It wasn’t perfect, but it was working. You could see how a T shirt or jeans would look on you with a single tap. At the same time as I finished my MVP, Tesco - a UK groceries and general merchandise retailer announced that they will be implementing “Try on AR Mirrors.”Basically the same concept, but on a mirror display. Needless to say, I was devastated and deleted all my data. In hindsight, I should’ve approached them and try working together on the project.

They never did release the feature.

Morale : Never be intimidated by large players.

Then came a period of money chasing that never stopped since.

You see, I chase money because I want the freedom to have my own schedule.

I had a bad argument with my mother and I decided to move out. Now money was actually needed.
I had minor success dropshipping for a few months. Building websites for people, doing their marketing, updating their websites, doing their SEOs but all were failed attempts in the pursuit of money.

So what did I do? I put the “silliness” to the side and I started working a dreadful construction job that made me curse my entire existence every day from 5AM to 7.30PM( it includes commute time)

One of the main reasons I believe I became a money chaser was the constant feeling of hatred toward my job and the feeling inside me that I could do more. But here I was, wasting my time for £10/h. Every day I would have another 10 ideas that could make me money so I could break free but no time to actually implement any.

While I admire their passion and devotion to their craft, I’m sick of “motivational speakers” telling me I should work on my business from 17PM to 2AM. Anybody that went through this knows how drained you are after 14 hours of slaving. I only had Sundays off, so naturally that’s when I started implementing ideas.

Years went by...no future prospects to actually quit and do something else.

I rode a wave in Nov-Dec of 2019, when I started selling digital downloads on Etsy. I had 7000+ orders in the span of 3 weeks and made ~100K before tax in profits. Then Etsy banned me, for a reason I don’t know to this date.( MJ is correct again, I was not the driver therefore not in control of the outcome)

I quit my job the following April after realizing I made 19k after taxes in profit for killing myself in construction.

After that I wanted to build a clothing brand, a luxury one. One year and £50k later, I launched to crickets and had two orders.(literally)

I went back to the construction job. I worked throughout lockdown, risking myself everyday to the point where people around me were catching Covid and then I said stop. I had to protect myself, so naturally, money chasing began.

I have moderate success online, but I work more insane hours than in construction . I managed to save some money and now I’m launching a jewellery store, but after reading again MJ DeMarco’s books I lost some drive.

I realized this is another money chasing scheme of mine and not actually providing any value to my customers. Another £15k spent. Although the pieces are good, durable, hypoallergenic, and cheaper than competitors, it’s more or less the same product. I’ve done everything right this time, built hype, ran a successful pre launch campaign that netted 5K emails of potential buyers, and I’m waiting to launch on 2.04.

However full of self pity it might sound, I am lost after reading again the books. It takes a lot of willpower to acknowledge this, but I am indeed lost. I need to re wire my thinking, and don’t know where to start. I’m not looking for advice on how to make money or ideas on the next big thing. I spent a lot on courses that only taught what I already knew.

How do you provide value and not feel like you’re just chasing money?

Is chasing money for freedom that bad?

Don’t lose yourself in the pursuit of freedom.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Hello,

I am writing this hoping that other people can learn from it, myself included.

WARNING : This is a long post.

Having read again The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted , years after I first found them, I have arrived at a conclusion.

My background.

I moved to the UK from an Eastern European country at 18. I’ll be 25. next month MJ DeMarco’s books would name me a “dreampreneur money chaser”.

I wasn’t always this way.

When I was 18, I noticed a gap in the tie market. The gap was in my imagination, of course, so I spent months designing, prototyping and perfecting an ecommerce store selling ties( not bow- ties) The ties came with knots already made and they had a small clasp at the back for easy attachment. In my head I was saving people the time and dreadfulness of learning to tie a tie, therefore providing value.( yes, I know, a life saver!) I priced them accordingly, and they were cheaper than a regular tie.
There were similar products with rubber bands for children, used in schools, but my market were adults. I launched, adapted and sold some 200 ties. At the peak of my “tiexperience”, I lost interest because it wasn’t growing at the speed I was expecting, brainwashed by success stories.

I really like clothes so 2-3 months after the “tiexperience”, some magical idea hit me.

Augmented reality was slowly becoming a thing and I figured that a try-on AR app would be a hit. Bear in mind this was 2014 and this kind of apps today still look like they’re made in 1998.
I taught myself everything with the help of our friend Google, and 4 months of psychosis later I had a MVP( minimum viable product). It wasn’t perfect, but it was working. You could see how a T shirt or jeans would look on you with a single tap. At the same time as I finished my MVP, Tesco - a UK groceries and general merchandise retailer announced that they will be implementing “Try on AR Mirrors.”Basically the same concept, but on a mirror display. Needless to say, I was devastated and deleted all my data. In hindsight, I should’ve approached them and try working together on the project.

They never did release the feature.

Morale : Never be intimidated by large players.

Then came a period of money chasing that never stopped since.

You see, I chase money because I want the freedom to have my own schedule.

I had a bad argument with my mother and I decided to move out. Now money was actually needed.
I had minor success dropshipping for a few months. Building websites for people, doing their marketing, updating their websites, doing their SEOs but all were failed attempts in the pursuit of money.

So what did I do? I put the “silliness” to the side and I started working a dreadful construction job that made me curse my entire existence every day from 5AM to 7.30PM( it includes commute time)

One of the main reasons I believe I became a money chaser was the constant feeling of hatred toward my job and the feeling inside me that I could do more. But here I was, wasting my time for £10/h. Every day I would have another 10 ideas that could make me money so I could break free but no time to actually implement any.

While I admire their passion and devotion to their craft, I’m sick of “motivational speakers” telling me I should work on my business from 17PM to 2AM. Anybody that went through this knows how drained you are after 14 hours of slaving. I only had Sundays off, so naturally that’s when I started implementing ideas.

Years went by...no future prospects to actually quit and do something else.

I rode a wave in Nov-Dec of 2019, when I started selling digital downloads on Etsy. I had 7000+ orders in the span of 3 weeks and made ~100K before tax in profits. Then Etsy banned me, for a reason I don’t know to this date.( MJ is correct again, I was not the driver therefore not in control of the outcome)

I quit my job the following April after realizing I made 19k after taxes in profit for killing myself in construction.

After that I wanted to build a clothing brand, a luxury one. One year and £50k later, I launched to crickets and had two orders.(literally)

I went back to the construction job. I worked throughout lockdown, risking myself everyday to the point where people around me were catching Covid and then I said stop. I had to protect myself, so naturally, money chasing began.

I have moderate success online, but I work more insane hours than in construction . I managed to save some money and now I’m launching a jewellery store, but after reading again MJ DeMarco’s books I lost some drive.

I realized this is another money chasing scheme of mine and not actually providing any value to my customers. Another £15k spent. Although the pieces are good, durable, hypoallergenic, and cheaper than competitors, it’s more or less the same product. I’ve done everything right this time, built hype, ran a successful pre launch campaign that netted 5K emails of potential buyers, and I’m waiting to launch on 2.04.

However full of self pity it might sound, I am lost after reading again the books. It takes a lot of willpower to acknowledge this, but I am indeed lost. I need to re wire my thinking, and don’t know where to start. I’m not looking for advice on how to make money or ideas on the next big thing. I spent a lot on courses that only taught what I already knew.

How do you provide value and not feel like you’re just chasing money?

Is chasing money for freedom that bad?

Don’t lose yourself in the pursuit of freedom.
The way I look at it is, make a product that you yourself would buy over and over again. If you see a hole in the market for something you wish was there. Create that product, kind of like the old saying goes "be the change you want to see in life" If you create a product or service that you thoroughly enjoy, and use. Then you should know that you're providing true value, and you're not just chasing money. Also its easier to find passion this way too, because obviously if you are to use the product, you want it to be the best possible. So you will strive to make sure the product is perfect. As well as your customer service and everything else. Alot of people create businesses with products they know nothing about, or they don't have a passion for that niche. Then they wonder why their business fails. Don't be a dude trying to create a jewelry business, you know nothing about that industry, or how to improve it. I'm sure you have no intention on wearing it either. You'll know if you're creating value, or if you're chasing money. You'll feel it in your soul, if you're truly helping people, or if you're just trying to get a pay check.

My best advice, keep in mind im a 19 year old. So some people would consider me naïve. Would be to have an industry or niche/hobby that you are passionate about, try and find a hole or need in said industry and fill it. Or even just try to improve on an already existing product in that field. That's how you create value.

I'm passionate about fitness, and trying to gain weight. and the products out there that I see in the industry aren't things I want to buy and consume, as well as I noticed a hole in the market. So I'm creating a product that I'm going to be using myself, and filling a hole in the market. That's how I know I will be creating value with my business, because If I have a problem finding a product that I would want to consume and actually create results; then I know other people are too. So Im going to be the change that I want to see in the industry, and providing the best product possible for me, and my customers. Im not trying to sell some cheap product that I know nothing about from china, just trying to get a quick buck.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
The way I look at it is, make a product that you yourself would buy over and over again. If you see a hole in the market for something you wish was there. Create that product, kind of like the old saying goes "be the change you want to see in life" If you create a product or service that you thoroughly enjoy, and use. Then you should know that you're providing true value, and you're not just chasing money. Also its easier to find passion this way too, because obviously if you are to use the product, you want it to be the best possible. So you will strive to make sure the product is perfect. As well as your customer service and everything else. Alot of people create businesses with products they know nothing about, or they don't have a passion for that niche. Then they wonder why their business fails. Don't be a dude trying to create a jewelry business, you know nothing about that industry, or how to improve it. I'm sure you have no intention on wearing it either. You'll know if you're creating value, or if you're chasing money. You'll feel it in your soul, if you're truly helping people, or if you're just trying to get a pay check.

My best advice, keep in mind im a 19 year old. So some people would consider me naïve. Would be to have an industry or niche/hobby that you are passionate about, try and find a hole or need in said industry and fill it. Or even just try to improve on an already existing product in that field. That's how you create value.

I'm passionate about fitness, and trying to gain weight. and the products out there that I see in the industry aren't things I want to buy and consume, as well as I noticed a hole in the market. So I'm creating a product that I'm going to be using myself, and filling a hole in the market. That's how I know I will be creating value with my business, because If I have a problem finding a product that I would want to consume and actually create results; then I know other people are too. So Im going to be the change that I want to see in the industry, and providing the best product possible for me, and my customers. Im not trying to sell some cheap product that I know nothing about from china, just trying to get a quick buck.
Good for you my friend. I’m glad that you’re working on something you’re passionate about.
I know the post was long and thanks for reaching out.
My problem is : whenever I’m trying to provide value I make no money and when I’m chasing money, I do.
I don’t do products I’m not interested in, but they sell, and deep down it feels wrong bc I feel I add no value.
I’m all high and energetic for however long it takes to build it, then the infatuation fades and I’m on to the next thing. That’s my problem.

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Good for you my friend. I’m glad that you’re working on something you’re passionate about.
I know the post was long and thanks for reaching out.
My problem is : whenever I’m trying to provide value I make no money and when I’m chasing money, I do.
I don’t do products I’m not interested in, but they sell, and deep down it feels wrong bc I feel I add no value.
I’m all high and energetic for however long it takes to build it, then the infatuation fades and I’m on to the next thing. That’s my problem.
That's why you need passion. passion will keep you going when the honeymoon stage of your business venture goes away. because when you start a business you will get bored and want to start on something new, that's why you need passion to keep you going when you're at a rough spot in the business. But at the end of the day its your life, and only you can decide what business to do. But MJ does talk about shiny object syndrome in his books, and it sounds like this is what you have.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
That's why you need passion. passion will keep you going when the honeymoon stage of your business venture goes away. because when you start a business you will get bored and want to start on something new, that's why you need passion to keep you going when you're at a rough spot in the business. But at the end of the day its your life, and only you can decide what business to do. But MJ does talk about shiny object syndrome in his books, and it sounds like this is what you have.
Indeed I think that might be it.
It might sound funny but I never really addressed the problem before and now that I have I’m working on ways of balancing myself back on track.
I will make a plan and stick to it and I’ll somewhere here on the forum about it.

Thanks for replying !

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...