The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How much do you pay your CPA?

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Okay, I know it's a broad question, with a lot of possible variables. So let's say that you have a CPA (or otherwise qualified accountant) who just takes the information you give them, and prepares your state and federal tax returns. He offers general information/advice when asked. And when the State/IRS disagrees with the returns/amendments he has filed on your behalf, he reviews it for errors/disconnects.

How much would you pay this guy per hour?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
$300 to $400 p hr? I consider them to be similar to attorneys. My accountant needs to be qualified to file with the IRS and the Canadian CRA.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I haven't experienced an audit or anything like that so I'm not exactly sure on the *hourly* rate she charges. I just pay her $250 to prepare & file federal taxes, K-1, and all that stuff. She works in a medium sized firm and doesn't charge extra for phone calls / emails or anything like that.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Not sure what rate I pay hourly, but my CPA helped me do my books for 6 months and filed my taxes (including federal, state, and payroll) for $1,200.

I have since learned to do the books myself and only go to her for help occasionally, so I expect my total to be around the same for this year.

D

DeletedUser2

how complex is your stuff?

1 biz? 10?

how complex is your COA?

if its just taxes, 200-1500

really complex stuff upwards of 3K

you asked a vague question, hope this is not to vague an answer.

btw, would you want to hire a brain surgeon to do work on your brain, or a plumber?

I guess that really depends on the value you put on specialized work.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
how complex is your stuff? 1 biz? 10? how complex is your COA? if its just taxes, 200-1500, really complex stuff upwards of 3K
Not terribly complex. For this particular question, I am talking about an S Corp (professional services). But this particular client forced me to work thru a vendor as a W2, in Cali, which has high state income tax. I live in TX where there is no state income tax.

I do my own bookkeeping, and pass them the numbers. They filed an amended return for my Cali State taxes, because I had tried to do it myself and messed it up. Then after I filed the amended return, with full payment, Cali sends me a bill for an additional $2400. I had already paid them $2k AFTER having federal W/H taken from my check for the full 6 months. I made less than $110k in the 6 months I was on the project. So I don't know if they are trying to charge me taxes on the full year's income? Or what?

In any case, to look at the amended return (that he prepared) and compare his numbers to those that California is claiming (a total of 10 numbers on a statement from them) he wants to charge me $250/hr x 3 hours. Just seems excessive to me. So whether he screwed up or CA screwed up, I have to pay another $500 AT LEAST. That's why I was asking.

Have I ever mentioned here how much I hate taxes? ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
$250/hr seems normal to me. I can't comment on the details surrounding this issue of course.

Personally I don't mind paying taxes. If I pay a lot of taxes, it likely means that I made a nice sum of money. That's how I try to look at it anyway. LOL

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.