- Joined
- Apr 21, 2008
- Messages
- 200
Rep Bank
$280
$280
User Power: 8%
I’m talking about YouTube: the business.
How can something like that endure over a long period of time, even given its incredible popularity?
I’m seriously considering a business that generates its income or website traffic via YouTube, due to the popularity of my channel. However, I see three major obstructions to YouTube’s long-term survival.
1) The concept of YouTube seems to be impractical to maintain over a long period of time. Essentially, YouTube allows people to upload as many videos as they want for free and never deletes old videos. How can that be maintained forever? It must cost so much money for both the hard drive space and the server bandwidth. Frankly, I’m amazed that it has lasted this long.
2) How does YouTube pay for everything? I know they generate some amount of money via advertising, but I almost never see it, and I go there on a daily basis. I’ve heard it’s one of the Top 10 most popular websites today, but I can’t imagine that advertising income could be so great that it can keep up with the demand for hard drive space and server bandwidth forever. Can it?
3) YouTube seems to be facing a ton of legal issues. I’m not really worried about YouTube getting sued into oblivion. They seem to be quite capable of doing the legal minimum amount to avoid losing the website. However, their attorney fees have to be enormous, just to fight off the endless lawsuits against them. This only adds to the cost of maintaining the business.
What do you think? Does YouTube or something like it have a long-term future? Can they keep doing this indefinitely?
On a side note, what other options would be available? What if YouTube shut down someday? It sounds like a very real possibility to me, simply for financial reasons alone. That would destroy my potential business model. Obviously, I’m looking for something that has a long-term future for me.
Thanks for the discussion.
How can something like that endure over a long period of time, even given its incredible popularity?
I’m seriously considering a business that generates its income or website traffic via YouTube, due to the popularity of my channel. However, I see three major obstructions to YouTube’s long-term survival.
1) The concept of YouTube seems to be impractical to maintain over a long period of time. Essentially, YouTube allows people to upload as many videos as they want for free and never deletes old videos. How can that be maintained forever? It must cost so much money for both the hard drive space and the server bandwidth. Frankly, I’m amazed that it has lasted this long.
2) How does YouTube pay for everything? I know they generate some amount of money via advertising, but I almost never see it, and I go there on a daily basis. I’ve heard it’s one of the Top 10 most popular websites today, but I can’t imagine that advertising income could be so great that it can keep up with the demand for hard drive space and server bandwidth forever. Can it?
3) YouTube seems to be facing a ton of legal issues. I’m not really worried about YouTube getting sued into oblivion. They seem to be quite capable of doing the legal minimum amount to avoid losing the website. However, their attorney fees have to be enormous, just to fight off the endless lawsuits against them. This only adds to the cost of maintaining the business.
What do you think? Does YouTube or something like it have a long-term future? Can they keep doing this indefinitely?
On a side note, what other options would be available? What if YouTube shut down someday? It sounds like a very real possibility to me, simply for financial reasons alone. That would destroy my potential business model. Obviously, I’m looking for something that has a long-term future for me.
Thanks for the discussion.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
