The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I stepped out of my comfort zone and landed a client.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I just got off the phone with a potential client.

Actually it was a job interview. I could use some quick cash to get myself out of my situation and I need some capital for a project I’m working on. It was a 5 person B2B organization hiring for a director of marketing. The job paid 70K/year. They work virtually so it was a telecommuting job.

((I don’t want this to turn into a anti-job thread, I have my reasons and if you want to debate about it start a new thread and I’ll be happy to talk with you there))

I saw the industry they were in, I saw some flaws/problems they had, and I thought I could help. I do a great job of 'acting' like an extrovert, but I'm not. I'm an internal creature, other people drain me and I'm terrified of the phone. (You might remember me working as a telemarketer for some time. Yes, I did. I did that to force myself to talk on the phone more).

Talking to potential customers is easy for me. Talking to business owners and people of importance is harder.

I emailed the president and COO a cover letter last night, and called the president today at 12.

We talked for 45 minutes. The first question he asked me: “What made you think I’d take your call today?†The whole thing’s a blur but I think I answered by saying something like “I had nothing to lose, so why not?â€

I started the conversation asking if he was looking for somebody to market for their clients or somebody who can market for the company. He said both.

I talked to him about his website, how he currently lands new clients, how their USP isn’t clear on their main website, how he should productize to make more money, etc.

I told him how I’d go about taking their long sales process and shorten it via inbound/content marketing. I wanted to tighten everything up a notch and take them to the next level.

He asked me about my experience, my schooling, etc. I was SO NERVOUS but I pushed through.

In the end, he told me I wasn’t a good fit for the position. They were looking for someone who can help their clients, not someone who can help the company. I spent the interview talking about the wrong thing (despite having asked him what he was looking for).

However, he said he likes my experience and some of the things I talked about during the interview. He said he’d like to bring me on as a consultant to help market their rebranding. He said “I appreciate your aggressionâ€

I ended the conversation by asking him about the call. “Did I seem nervous?†“What can I do better on my next call to make me a more persuasive caller?â€

He told me I tend to be self-deprecating. I talk too much about my failures and that’s not what an employer looking to hire a 70K employee wants to hear. He told me to BS my confidence on future calls. He said he can tell I was young and ‘unpolished’. I also talk too much.

I walked away from the conversation feeling how I always do after talking with stranger: drained.

But it was a good experience for me. I got somebody new to work with, I stepped out of my comfort zone, and I learned how to do it better the next time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Solid stuff man, you asked all of the right questions in regards to how you did. Real-time feedback from your market, the shit is priceless. Don't forget to ask for referrals when you aren't selling yourself.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Well done brother. Learning from the experience is priceless and I see you're headed for greater heights. Continue to crush your fears and you will be so much better as a person in no time. Talking from experience :)

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I think I had a revelation today.

Yesterday I felt horrible about the whole thing. This morning I'm VERY happy. I feel like I've 'absorbed' some sort of skillset, or confidence, or SOMETHING. I'm itching to call people and talk to them.

And that brings me onto another idea: Direct Selling.

To be honest I've always avoided it because it was BORING. It made money but it didn't make fans. I think of selling as a dirty word. But it's not....

I have products, services, and skills right here in front of me that other people can use. I need to TELL THEM ABOUT IT... not for them to 'stumble across it". I'm now seeking more aggressive ways to contact customers...

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I found the best way to cure nervousness on the phone is to be honest, focus on the positives, and put yourself in the other person's shoes.

I understand exactly where you are coming from, giving away everything you think might be needed to know, but in the end I think people will decide for themselves once they see how well you DO for them. In jobs, life, relationships.

Era

Light Warrior
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Oct 20, 2012
What you experienced was completely priceless! Every call you make, every action you take, you are one step closer. Props for getting out of your comfort zone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
"The Art of Power" by Thich Nhat Hanh. Great book so far.

And man, amazing things you've done so far. Kudos to you, sir and I bet you're really excited.

Learn being mindful of any action you take, including breathing. Focus on it.

When you get nervous, ask yourself, "Why am I nervous?" Don't ignore your emotions but focus on it with intensity, embrace your feelings and ask why do you feel fear? Fear is a seed of negative emotions. And then find the answer.

And then remove fear. Remove any negative emotion.

Do this by meditating or zero'ing in yourself.

You can also do this outwardly: zero in on someone else because he's a part of you.

Nature is a part of you, other people are a part of you, even air is a part of you. Everything.

This is where empathy comes from, the ability to mentally and emotionally connect with another.

And it allows your mind to remain in the present, not in the past or future. This is all concentration. Hard to do but simple.

When a leader's mind is racing at 100 mph, on 300 different things then he's not at 100% because he gets scared, nervous and/or he's never really "there" for the people who need him or his attention at hand. He's physically there, maybe but he's mentally absent. Instead, he's on the phone AND doing other things at once, multitasking. He's splitting himself into different segments, which is also harmful. And it's a weakness. It's like dividing a full cup of milk into 4 glasses but they're only 1/4 full instead. Learn to "unitask" instead, do 1 thing at 1 time, devote 100% into it.

Be in the moment and conquer it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.