The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I Made Over $600 In Under 3 Weeks By Playing Video Games and Browsing Facebook

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I decided to post this thread to share how I bootstrapped my way from no money to just over $600 in under 3 weeks. I haven't been able to find many recent bootstrapping threads so I'm creating this one to hopefully spread the word on how well this can actually work for you.

This is the first real time I have actually made money for myself and it has been an awesome start.

I started with a Wii and some other things that I already owned and decided to sell to make some money. I then decided to buy some more video game consoles and sell them for a profit. I have done very well this holiday season and am curious to see how I do after the holidays.

I used Craigslist once but stopped because Facebook Marketplace was way better. I used Facebook Marketplace exclusively on every deal but one. It feels safer and reaches more people (I think).

NO RISK!

I didn't once feel like I was going to lose money. Every time I bought something I knew that there was absolutely no way I couldn't at least sell the item for what I payed for it (break even). Every single time I bought something I knew I could sell it for higher. In other words I understand the market that I am in completely.

HOURS WORKED:

I don't know how much time I spent exactly but I know that I spent most of my time driving and making this excel spreadsheet that I'm attaching here. Oh and I played video games while "testing" the systems to make sure they worked.

VALUE I BRING:

I provide safe, quick, and responsive communication and delivery of items. I sell Items for less than they are worth. I also disclose every problem with the item. For example with video games sometimes controllers have sticky buttons, there's no HDMI cord, etc.

NOTES:

~Price is king
~Motto is Buy Low, Sell Fast
~This was December/Holidays
~Weekends are the best

INSPIRED BY:

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58519
http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58618&hl=
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ing-anything-part-1.35889/page-14#post-194305
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...raigslist-self-employed-work-from-home.68496/

FUTURE PLAN:

~I'm taking this week off to enjoy Christmas and will start back up on the 26th.
~Expand into other markets
~Keep doing this until I have enough capital to start a "real" business.
~Expand into more websites, Craigslist, Letgo, Offerup, Ebay?

MORE NOTES AND EXACT FIGURES ON THE EXCEL SPREADSHEET

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Bootstrapping Statistics.xlsx
    1.6 MB · Views: 27

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
Do you buy and sell stuff online or do you go check it at their house and than buy/sell ?
Start out with just one type of item, I went for iphones. Study the price differences in the local and online markets and buy and sell between them. £10-20 for literally buying an item and putting it straight on ebay.

I upped the risk and was buying faulty phones that i fixed and sold on. once bought a faulty iphone on Ebay fixed it by overheating it with a hairdryer and selling it on for £100 profit. only did it for fun for a few weeks and made around the same as op.

joury

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 26, 2016
Limburg, Netherlands
Start out with just one type of item, I went for iphones. Study the price differences in the local and online markets and buy and sell between them. £10-20 for literally buying an item and putting it straight on ebay.

I upped the risk and was buying faulty phones that i fixed and sold on. once bought a faulty iphone on Ebay fixed it by overheating it with a hairdryer and selling it on for £100 profit. only did it for fun for a few weeks and made around the same as op.
Thank you, but that is totally not what I asked for.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Do you buy and sell stuff online or do you go check it at their house and than buy/sell ?

I would browse Facebook Marketplace and try to find some decent deals. I then messaged them through Facebook and low balled them. A lot of people wouldn't budge but some did. I then ask if they could send me a picture of it working (a pic of the TV or the TV and console on in the same pick). This is a bit risky but most people are trustworthy. I then meet them in a public location and check it out further once its in hand. I check for things like sticky buttons, I make sure all games are there, etc.

I've never had it happen yet but if I found something wrong with the item in person I would either low ball more or walk away from the deal because I don't want broken items.

I then post it back on Facebook marketplace with better pictures/descriptions/price/more groups.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Oh and by the way, when I low ball I tell them I have cash and will buy it that day. I think that helps a bit.

In my small sample size I've noticed I generally buy from richer people and sell to poorer people. I'm assuming this is because rich people just want to get rid of their video games and poorer people cant afford brand new consoles. This is just my assumption based off of the few deals that I have made.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.