The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I made $10k in one weekend as a college student with no cash

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Sweaty Startup

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,020%
Dec 12, 2018
Athens GA
It was about 8 weeks before graduation weekend in my college town in 2012. I was a senior about to graduate. My mother was bugging me to help her find a hotel near campus for graduation weekend. For her, my father, my grandparents and my sister. Three rooms.

I called about 10 hotels around campus. Checked Priceline. There was nothing available at all. AirBNB was the same.

The closest city with availability was about 30 minutes away. They only had 3 rooms left in the entire hotel and they were $350 per night plus fees, each, with a three night minimum. Even they were cashing in on graduation. Thats $3,150 + fees. I refused. I’d rather them stay home and miss graduation.

The closest hotels with normal pricing and availability were over an hour away.

I thought about my friends who were sophomores and juniors renting apartments in the area. Classes ended about 10 days before graduation. They all were gone for the summer working internships or back home. Their apartments were empty. I texted a group of three friends living in a three bedroom apartment. I offered them $500 if they let my parents stay there over the weekend. They quickly agreed. All set with my family and we saved about $3,200.

My college had recently added a feature to the email (Google powered email). If you started typing someone’s name it would autofill and provide you with their email address.

My school had about 4,000 students in each class and the facebook group had about 3,000 each. I joined each group.

I then went through using one screen on the facebook group members page and one screen on the gmail page typing in names and mining email addresses. About 20 hours later I had a list with the email addresses of 3000 juniors and 3000 seniors.

I typed out a nice email to the Juniors:

Friends,

My family and a few of my classmates’ families are looking for a place to stay on graduation weekend. If you will be gone that weekend and would be interested in renting out your apartment to them let me know.

Thanks!

I then typed out this email to my fellow seniors:

Friends,

A few of my undergraduate classmates are offering to rent their rooms to the families of seniors during graduation weekend. If your family needs a place to stay right near campus during that weekend let me know!

Thanks!

I sent both emails and then headed out to track practice.

When I got home 4 hours later I had over 400 emails in my inbox.

I ended up tiering the pricing based on location, cleanliness, ability to provide linens and amount of rooms. I paid out about $35 per room per night on average and I did a three night minimum for everyone. Graduation weekend is quite an ordeal so that was pretty standard anyway.

I rented the rooms at about $100 per room per night. This was a big savings over hotels but the guests had to be okay with a dirty apartment and bringing their own linens for the most part. But they got to stay in the heart of the action and save a lot of money.

I set low expectations for the renters. I told them it would be dirty. I told them it would be sweaty. I told them to bring linens and cleaning supplies if they wanted to.

I strictly told all of the underclassmen to clean their apartments very well. I sent them detailed checklists. I did the best I could to make sure it would be presentable.

As soon as I collected payment from the senior I would pay the underclassman and connect them on email telling them to organize the key hiding and check out stuff.

Overall I brokered about 60 rooms and cleared about $10,000.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
What an amazing story. You saw a need and you went for it.

You created a win-win situation for everyone involved. For the undergrads, the seniors and their families and yourself. What a perfect way to earn 10,000 in a weekend!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
A good opportunity well capitalised on. ( I remember reading the same post on Reddit earlier in the week).

Sweaty Startup

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,020%
Dec 12, 2018
Athens GA
Great story!
How much time did you spend on all of that?
20 hours getting the emails and then another 40 probably putting together all of the logistics and communicating with both sides. Logistics on the weekend weren't as stressful as I thought they were going to be. It was only about 25 families renting the 60 rooms. Once they were all in that was the last I heard from them.

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
With that gusto you would almost certainly be a successful businessperson in future.

Oh wait sorry, you already are ;)

njord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016
I was about to say you could make an app for this like AIRBNB or something...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.