The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

How do you...

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
Okay I need to post it. I have been searching the question for 2 days and it seems everyone already knows so I need to ask.

How do you actually start a business? I know you need a business license, maybe, and I know i would be looking for an LLC. But thats about it. I do not know how to get the source for my products, (thinking of a pastry selling company) I do not know how i am to pay for starting it (am I buying all the equipment/ingredients?) who to sell to, etc. I mean, I know I would want the product in specific stores but I dont think they would just be like "Hey sure kid sell your product we have never heard of here. Matter of fact, we will distribute them to all out stores."

I assume you go and find companies who make similar items, ask them to make it, and you can sell it. What I do not get is how this differs from licensing a product, which I steered clear from because 1. less control and 2. the rediculous price to obtain a patent. But it that case, what stops them from just taking your product you've given them to make?

I do not think I even know all the questions that I dont know. Or perhaps I am overcomplicating it? Can someone direct me to where I can learn?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

Evan G

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 24, 2020
Arkansas
Okay I need to post it. I have been searching the question for 2 days and it seems everyone already knows so I need to ask.

How do you actually start a business? I know you need a business license, maybe, and I know i would be looking for an LLC. But thats about it. I do not know how to get the source for my products, (thinking of a pastry selling company) I do not know how i am to pay for starting it (am I buying all the equipment/ingredients?) who to sell to, etc. I mean, I know I would want the product in specific stores but I dont think they would just be like "Hey sure kid sell your product we have never heard of here. Matter of fact, we will distribute them to all out stores."
I do not think I even know all the questions that I dont know. Or perhaps I am overcomplicating it? Can someone direct me to where I can learn?
You raise a lot of good questions, but I don't think anyone here is going to be able to provide a roadmap of every exact step you will have to take.

To answer your question of sourcing products, there is an interesting Q&A somebody did that you can look at to get a good idea of how it works. You will likely want to start by watching videos or reading blogs to get a general idea of how a pastry/food type business works.

Next answer the question of who do you want to sell to. Do you want to sell products directly to a customer in your own bakery? Do you want to sell pastry making ingredients to bakeries and not deal with the end user? How can you provide value?

I have been searching the question for 2 days and it seems everyone already knows so I need to ask.
I don't think everyone already knows. I certainly don't. Take it one step at a time. You don't have to know all the answers all at once.

alexkuzmov

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

I assume you go and find companies who make similar items, ask them to make it, and you can sell it. What I do not get is how this differs from licensing a product, which I steered clear from because 1. less control and 2. the rediculous price to obtain a patent. But it that case, what stops them from just taking your product you've given them to make?

If you havent, read MJs books.
What you need is what he calls "domain" experience.
Go work for somebody that is in a business similar to what you want to build and you'll get your answers and then some.
Try and build a business with no domain knowledge and you will fail.

OP
OP
H

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
You raise a lot of good questions, but I don't think anyone here is going to be able to provide a roadmap of every exact step you will have to take.

To answer your question of sourcing products, there is an interesting Q&A somebody did that you can look at to get a good idea of how it works. You will likely want to start by watching videos or reading blogs to get a general idea of how a pastry/food type business works.

Next answer the question of who do you want to sell to. Do you want to sell products directly to a customer in your own bakery? Do you want to sell pastry making ingredients to bakeries and not deal with the end user? How can you provide value?

I don't think everyone already knows. I certainly don't. Take it one step at a time. You don't have to know all the answers all at once.
gotcha. Yeah I just need to know where to get an idea I suppose. I will consider the questions you've posed as well. Thank you!

OP
OP
H

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
If you havent, read MJs books.
What you need is what he calls "domain" experience.
Go work for somebody that is in a business similar to what you want to build and you'll get your answers and then some.
Try and build a business with no domain knowledge and you will fail.
Okay thank you for the advice!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Hi guys, I repost here my old review with a small update : Feb 2020 : Hi guys, Just wanted...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Ah, I should've checked here to find out that it was free! Although, Amazon only charged $2 for...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Pick the one you need most. Some just buy them all. :D Loving your email sequence.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock