The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you solve a problem when no one knows it's a problem?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

treinjapan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 8, 2012
Hey Fastlaners!

I've been working on a couple of businesses. I'm living in Japan now, but I grew up in Los Angeles, and so in a sense, I've "seen the future" of what the internet can become. Despite the stereotypes, Japan is at least 5, if not 10 years behind the Western world in terms of internet usage and online business, etc.

So one of my ideas is a business that's worked many times over in the West, but does not exist in Japan. From my point of view, I would be solving the problem that many people have, they just don't know it. More specifically, as mentioned in another thread I've made, is that I want to make a camera forum/community to help people learn photography and enjoy it more. But because forums don't really exist here, people don't know how easy it is to just get on the internet and literally become a pro-level cameraman in a few weeks.

(The pro cameramen I've talked to about this idea hate me because it threatens their lifestyle, btw!)

The current way of thinking is that if you want to take better pictures, you go to the (ultra expensive) big box retailers and buy the "best" camera. And obviously, the "best" camera is the one that nets them the most commission. It's common to see people walking around in the park with $2500 worth of equipment around their neck, clearly not knowing a lick about how to use it. And at the same time, I use a $300 camera and I've been told I take better wedding pictures than any pro around here.

So how do I convince people that they can and need to learn from us?

Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Do you think that there are other reasons behind people buying really expensive gear that they don't really need? It seems to me like it could be viewed as a status symbol or icon of success, so even though they could easily be better off with something else, there are other reasons why they are buying the expensive stuff...

What do you think about this?

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
If you build it they will come ( love the movie) anyway, way not build the website and let people know about it. Grass roots might be the best way to get the site known.

Rafal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 14, 2011
Warsaw, Poland
So how do I convince people that they can and need to learn from us?

you don't

but...

don't sell it to them as "photography service"
what you should do is to sell'em as money on discount,
(pro and lifestyle opportunity)

+ get some expert status (check Jay Abraham Strategy of Preeminence
on YouTube)

So:

- money on discount
- expert status

treinjapan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 8, 2012
Good question LibertyForMe!

Actually, I think in general, Japanese people are very not-blingy in that sense. Most people drive very "humble" cars even when they can afford something nicer, and, if anything, spend their money on clothing or entertainment. That's not to say what you're saying is 100% wrong.

But take a second and think back to 10 years ago. If you wanted a camera (or anything, like a car for that matter) and didn't know anyone who knew about them, you would either take some classes, talk to salesmen, get info from magazines, or rely on the "TOP 10" charts or whatever.

Most people in Japan are VERY QUICK to trust the big name companies, politicians, or anything that is famous. Everyone wants to work for the "good" companies, regardless of anything else, and everyone wants to wear what everyone else is wearing. Generally the culture promotes aligning yourself with what everyone else is doing. So if everyone else is buying at the big-box stores (which must be true, or else how could they get so big?!) then that must be the "best" place to buy my camera. They just don't realize how badly they're being taken for a ride. And on top of that, they get oversold hardcore. Most people who want to take some cute pictures of flowers in the park don't need $2500 worth of equipment.

treinjapan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 8, 2012
you don't

but...

don't sell it to them as "photography service"
what you should do is to sell'em as money on discount,
(pro and lifestyle opportunity)

+ get some expert status (check Jay Abraham Strategy of Preeminence
on YouTube)

So:

- money on discount
- expert status

Rafal, thanks for your reply!

I understand the concept of selling myself as a pro, which I am trying to do. I've started some YouTube tutorials, which have gotten some views, but people just don't even think of looking up "how do I improve my photography" online yet. Will be starting a website with articles that break things down more clearly in the future, as well as simplifying the whole forum/discussion style as well.

Can you explain the concept of "money on discount" for me please? (Or point me to a link that explains it!)

Thanks guys!

Rafal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 14, 2011
Warsaw, Poland
money on discount = my stuff is actually costintg
you nothing (even though you gotta pay me)
because it will save you money / make you money
more money instantly!

this is the way to get them through price resistance
(if what you're offering REALLY works)

plus - this is Japan - SHAME culture! use shame in
your marketing - and show them the way out of it

social status and social acceptance are extremely
important there - you gotta use it hard

don't think like american, think like they do

Rafal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 14, 2011
Warsaw, Poland
plus

making them aware they have some problem
or need (that they're not aware of) cost time, energy
and money

it's better to link youf offer to problem/need
they already KNOW they have

1) link to something they are aware of
2) amplify it
3) add shame (Japan) or guilt or fear (or all of'em)
4) back it up with some data
5) amplify it even more (it's even worst than you think!)
6) offer THE solution (expert mode)
7) sell it as money on discount

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How do you solve a problem when no one knows it's a problem?

You create desire, usually by way of creating an emotional connection.

Think about the emotional connections you can create with photography to create the desire.

AmyQ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 5, 2013
I lived in Japan 10 years ago, so my information may be out of date, but a couple of thoughts

1. When I was there, Japan was a very cash based society. Credit/debit cards were not accepted at many businesses, even utility bills were paid in cash at the convenience store. Is that still the case? If so, that might have a big impact on online business options - if people are not used to purchasing online, do not use credit cards for purchases, your model for monetizing may need to adjust accordingly.

2. Relationships are very important in business transactions in Japan. We tend to go with the best price. They care about vendor relationships.

3. Are you fluent in the language and culture? Photography is pretty intimate and there are some cultural issues....When a Japanese friend showed me her wedding pictures, I thought the parents were upset about the marriage b/c no one was smiling. It turns out that smiling is not customary in Japanese wedding photos. They also have different ideas about personal space, touching, etc... Knowing these things (and lots more, I am no expert on Japanese culture) will be important for you to know in building online relationships/trust/credibility with potential clients.

treinjapan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 8, 2012
money on discount = my stuff is actually costintg
you nothing (even though you gotta pay me)
because it will save you money / make you money
more money instantly!

this is the way to get them through price resistance
(if what you're offering REALLY works)

plus - this is Japan - SHAME culture! use shame in
your marketing - and show them the way out of it

social status and social acceptance are extremely
important there - you gotta use it hard

don't think like american, think like they do

Rafal, thanks again. I understand what you're saying and will try to apply that. I think using shame in marketing my deter people since they are looking for an escape from the burden of always worrying about doing everything correctly.

treinjapan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 8, 2012
You create desire, usually by way of creating an emotional connection.

Think about the emotional connections you can create with photography to create the desire.

YEAH, that is along the lines of what I'm wrestling with right now....I'm trying to figure out how to make people want to improve their photography, but at the same time, empowering them to know that they can do it with a simple camera; the technique is what's important.

I'm thinking of starting up small to build relationships and that emotional connection, by, perhaps, having a meet at a local park and inviting people to come shoot together and share a meal. We can coach them on how to shoot flowers better and get to know each other more, and this my go a long way in forging the relationship foundation that is important in Japanese culture.

treinjapan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 8, 2012
I lived in Japan 10 years ago, so my information may be out of date, but a couple of thoughts

1. When I was there, Japan was a very cash based society. Credit/debit cards were not accepted at many businesses, even utility bills were paid in cash at the convenience store. Is that still the case? If so, that might have a big impact on online business options - if people are not used to purchasing online, do not use credit cards for purchases, your model for monetizing may need to adjust accordingly.

2. Relationships are very important in business transactions in Japan. We tend to go with the best price. They care about vendor relationships.

3. Are you fluent in the language and culture? Photography is pretty intimate and there are some cultural issues....When a Japanese friend showed me her wedding pictures, I thought the parents were upset about the marriage b/c no one was smiling. It turns out that smiling is not customary in Japanese wedding photos. They also have different ideas about personal space, touching, etc... Knowing these things (and lots more, I am no expert on Japanese culture) will be important for you to know in building online relationships/trust/credibility with potential clients.

AmyQ, thanks for your input! I've been in Japan for 4 full years now, am married to a Japanese PHD and have many experiences here so far.

1) Yes, it's still quite cash-based, though more and more people are slowly becoming more comfortable using their CCs for things like buying cell phone apps or whatever. If I were to have a paid section of the forum, one option would be to connect to the user's bank account to auto-withdraw the $1/month or whatever, and I think people would be okay with that.

2) Yes, I agree.

3) I'm not fluent yet, but I'm learning little by little. People tell me that my fluency level is good enough for getting along with people and building friendships, and to be honest, most Japanese people don't expect a white person to be able to super-polite or formal in their Japanese since it's not so easy. Though once the ball gets rolling, my sister will probably be the one writing the articles and teaching the lessons, with me as an assistant, since I'm not ultra-fluent yet.
Also quite familiar with the norms in terms of smiling, touching, etc. Thanks for your input!

i3ond

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Jun 2, 2013
Why don't you just create the problem or bring it to light and then offer the solution to that problem. Thats what some people do. bad people that is.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Ditch the idea and find another problem that people recognize as a problem. Much easier to sell then. Educating customers is hard.

Rafal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 14, 2011
Warsaw, Poland
I think using shame in marketing my deter people since they are looking for an escape from the burden of always worrying about doing everything correctly.

you're wrong

they are not looking for an escape - that's why they
do not buy from you right now!

it's called inertia.

you gotta motivate them - which means
make them feel worse to make them feel better.

treinjapan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 8, 2012
Ditch the idea and find another problem that people recognize as a problem. Much easier to sell then. Educating customers is hard.

I've thought about this so many times....but I feel like there's just too big of an opportunity in the country with the highest camera ownership per capita in the world...!

treinjapan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 8, 2012
you're wrong

they are not looking for an escape - that's why they
do not buy from you right now!

it's called inertia.

you gotta motivate them - which means
make them feel worse to make them feel better.

Yes, I think the way I took your first post was more like insulting the customer...but it doesn't necessarily have to be like that. It could be more like "Hey are you tired of taking blurry pics? I'll teach you how to take them like a pro" kinda thing. That's a weak tagline, but I think what you're saying is along those lines, yeah?

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
you think the problem is an educational problem? pffffft, it's a cultural problem. you are not going to solve this problem by selling logic, it's going to have to tie in emotionally.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.