As in the title, how do you sell something unfinished?
I'm creating a independent first-person shooter focused on non-linear gameplay and story telling.
Need is there (There are plenty of complaints on the internet about current situation of FPS genre, so it's my shot to "fix" this problem)
I've done my research of the market fairly well, I observed what made other indie shooters/story telling games successful and I'm aiming to replicate this model and make it better.
I've got good response about current shape of game on indiedB and im getting more followers there from update to update. Still my game is completed in at least 30% I've got ONE complete level and intro (which is going to be trailer) in the making. Good thing is that AI is there' you shoot people, destroy things, nice sound effects are in place, there are triggered events during missions. So bassically I have just a skeleton of FPS game.
Storyline is in the making, voice overs are going to be recorded very soon, and weapon models are still needed Currently I have some fair-looking placeholders in place, but it's not what I'm aiming for) I have found epic AAA+ type soundtrack with creative commons 3.0 licence (free to use commercially)
And now, here's my question, how do you monetize all this? What kind of options I can use to get funding for this project? I know about donations and Kickstarter but I guess this second is just for US only.
Why I need the money now? First off, better microphone for voiceovers would be awesome, but honestly it's because financial situation in my family is getting though, it's not like I'm going to be homeless but I want (actually kind of I need) to prove that this project is able to generate money (at least 300$ would suffice). Since everyone here only belives that going to construction site and working for 250$ like a slave is the only way to go.. I proved them wrong 2 years ago, now I need to do it again.
So.. It is possible to gain funds before the game is finished 100%? I know that my chances will be way greater with making epic Trailer and getting some exposure on indie games portals and YouTube (since I'm only existing on IndieDB)..
I'm creating a independent first-person shooter focused on non-linear gameplay and story telling.
Need is there (There are plenty of complaints on the internet about current situation of FPS genre, so it's my shot to "fix" this problem)
I've done my research of the market fairly well, I observed what made other indie shooters/story telling games successful and I'm aiming to replicate this model and make it better.
I've got good response about current shape of game on indiedB and im getting more followers there from update to update. Still my game is completed in at least 30% I've got ONE complete level and intro (which is going to be trailer) in the making. Good thing is that AI is there' you shoot people, destroy things, nice sound effects are in place, there are triggered events during missions. So bassically I have just a skeleton of FPS game.
Storyline is in the making, voice overs are going to be recorded very soon, and weapon models are still needed Currently I have some fair-looking placeholders in place, but it's not what I'm aiming for) I have found epic AAA+ type soundtrack with creative commons 3.0 licence (free to use commercially)
And now, here's my question, how do you monetize all this? What kind of options I can use to get funding for this project? I know about donations and Kickstarter but I guess this second is just for US only.
Why I need the money now? First off, better microphone for voiceovers would be awesome, but honestly it's because financial situation in my family is getting though, it's not like I'm going to be homeless but I want (actually kind of I need) to prove that this project is able to generate money (at least 300$ would suffice). Since everyone here only belives that going to construction site and working for 250$ like a slave is the only way to go.. I proved them wrong 2 years ago, now I need to do it again.
So.. It is possible to gain funds before the game is finished 100%? I know that my chances will be way greater with making epic Trailer and getting some exposure on indie games portals and YouTube (since I'm only existing on IndieDB)..
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
