The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you find the market's/people's needs without talking to them? (let's say for example within the field of programming)

anon9601

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Dec 31, 2020
I don't have that kind of access to people for several reasons (long story).

So let's say a guy with a PC and an internet connection. How does he find the needs of the market so he can make a successful product, or to at least find an idea?

Can't go around to people or companies to ask around what their needs are, can't talk to them at all. So how do I find my idea then, how do I do the research that would lead me to an idea?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
You talk to people.. on the internet. Don't go around just asking people for their problems. Just listen to what they complain about.

Search for forums of various industries that you are interested in. Join them. Interact with them without trying to spam or sell them anything. Just learn about the industry and listen for their problems.

Not talking to people is the worst possible way to find needs and launch a company.

sanadly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Sep 15, 2020
Earth
You talk to people.. on the internet. Don't go around just asking people for their problems. Just listen to what they complain about.

Search for forums of various industries that you are interested in. Join them. Interact with them without trying to spam or sell them anything. Just learn about the industry and listen for their problems.

Not talking to people is the worst possible way to find needs and launch a company.
And how to pitch them my services if I found a need?

idacat411

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Feb 11, 2021
Texas, USA
go on Reddit look for Professional forums in your areas of interest, a some of them have a "Rant" flair that allows you to filter threads.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
And how to pitch them my services if I found a need?
Depends on the need.

But a generic answer would be create a 1 page website that talks about the need and ask people to opt in to a form in exchange for X (something they would value or even just to be notified when the product/service is created) so you can see if there is any interest before you create anything.

poseidn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 1, 2016
create a landing page with a fake checkout box - drive traffic to it from FB or Google, if they buy = idea validated

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
You absolutely need to talk with people--online forums and chats will only give limited info. The gold is in the actual conversations, typically little nuggets that people drop--especially where there's strong emotion around something.

Also, targeting a specific industry niche is preferable to thinking of a general problem/solution, since you can tailor the solution to the specific needs of the niche.

Mike Stoian

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Dec 24, 2019
Go to reddit. There's bound to be a bunch of subreddits for people that would be interested in your product.

Just go and ask them :
- if they've ever had the specific problem you think you have a solution for
- If they've ever found a solution to that problem. What they use. If there's anything out there that can help them and you. Assuming you also have that problem
- If your idea would be useful to them.

That's pretty much what I did. My solution was also fixing one of my own problems so I was one of it's customers which makes it easier.

Things to keep in mind on reddit:
- do not make it sound like you're selling them something
- do not insult them in any way, even if they insult you back. It's just going downhill from there.
- develop thick skin. Reddit folks are usually pretty angry at anyone and everyone. They will troll you and make fun of you for any apparently random reason. Don't engage with it. Just get whatever value you can from their responses and ignore the trolls.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Buy a magic geenie ball, rub it 2 times and ask the geenie that will pop out from the ball.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Buy a magic geenie ball, rub it 2 times and ask the geenie that will pop out from the ball.

For visual reference:

6G9ZOdq.gif

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Why would you not want to talk to people. You're shooting yourself in the foot here. Businesses are built through relationships.

Relationships and BY FAR the best investments you can make.

sanadly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Sep 15, 2020
Earth
I agree, but isn't hard to make relationships this Time?

If I want to make new relationships, where can I make them?

sknowles

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 18, 2021
The Bahamas
create a landing page with a fake checkout box - drive traffic to it from FB or Google, if they buy = idea validated
Hey, are there any resources you can direct me to for this? I'm unsure how to legally and properly create a fake one to test for interest. I know it's basic lol.

poseidn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 1, 2016
Hey, are there any resources you can direct me to for this? I'm unsure how to legally and properly create a fake one to test for interest. I know it's basic lol.
if you're testing a service -> use elementor
if you're testing a physical product -> use shopify
if you're testing something else use clickfunnels or something similar

once you've chosen which one fits for you

use google to find the rest

I.e you're selling a VA outsourcing service: create LP with elementor -> use ads to drive traffic -> good metrics to look for would be appointments booked per $100 ad spend (0.X up to whatever it could be at)

If you're selling candles -> shopify LP -> drive traffic -> how many purchase conversions (refund money after they buy or redirect them to out of stock and collect their email with a shopify plugin and then email them and ask if they would get on a call with you to give you some advice/market research, offer to send them a starbucks $10 giftcard)

Ideally spend $1k at a minimum to test if an idea is valid. don't have to be profitable, but you atleast get some bites.

Or you can skip all that and and just get on calls with people and find out if they want what you sell by trying to close them and keep changing it until you have something that people will buy

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.