The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Do You Cope With Age and Wasted Time?

Anything related to matters of the mind

SharpeningBlade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
May 26, 2021
San Francisco, CA
Hey all, this is my first post. I am very happy to have discovered the Millionaire Fastlane (a little over halfway through now) and I feel fortunate that I found this active forum of entrepreneurs. Well as a brief intro I'm 34 years old, and I feel like I haven't done much at all. I have acquired a bachelor's degree in computer science from a good state school, travelled a bit too, but haven't had a serious job in the industry since I graduated two years ago. Other than that I just have work experience with lowish paid retail / warehouse jobs. I recently launched a business to do freelance web development but haven't looked for clients yet as I'm building up some sample projects to show as a portfolio and I'm looking for higher paid jobs in my field now.

Anyways, on to the question: I can't get over the fact that I feel I have wasted so much time in life. I'm a completely different person than I was 10 years ago, but other than growing as a person I haven't grown professionally or financially. How can you get over this psychologically? Does it ever leave your mind, or are you just always aware of this fact as you go on about your business pursuits? If so, how do you push forward while this thought is constantly in your mind?

Thank you and I appreciate any insight or advice on this matter (or any other matter).

Digital

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
You're only 34 years old. You have LOTS of time to make your mark on the world. You've gone to school and you can start your rising star right now. And it sounds like you are moving in that direction.

To answer your question, you put one foot in front of the other. You make your goals and then break them down into a step-by-step plan. Then you get up every day and follow your plan -- making corrections as you go. In the meantime, make a list of everything that you have learned over the last 10 years. Then figure out how you can use those items to help you in your journey. Last, forgive yourself. You didn't know what you wanted before. Now you do. Go for it.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hey all, this is my first post. I am very happy to have discovered the Millionaire Fastlane (a little over halfway through now) and I feel fortunate that I found this active forum of entrepreneurs. Well as a brief intro I'm 34 years old, and I feel like I haven't done much at all. I have acquired a bachelor's degree in computer science from a good state school, travelled a bit too, but haven't had a serious job in the industry since I graduated two years ago. Other than that I just have work experience with lowish paid retail / warehouse jobs. I recently launched a business to do freelance web development but haven't looked for clients yet as I'm building up some sample projects to show as a portfolio and I'm looking for higher paid jobs in my field now.

Anyways, on to the question: I can't get over the fact that I feel I have wasted so much time in life. I'm a completely different person than I was 10 years ago, but other than growing as a person I haven't grown professionally or financially. How can you get over this psychologically? Does it ever leave your mind, or are you just always aware of this fact as you go on about your business pursuits? If so, how do you push forward while this thought is constantly in your mind?

Thank you and I appreciate any insight or advice on this matter (or any other matter).

Digital
You cant get back wasted time.
My advice is that you treat this like you would a physical trauma.
Learn from it, let it motivate you, look at it as a lesson.
You made a mistake, you know that you did wrong, so dont repeat the behaviour and you'll be good.

The thing is, like physical trauma, sometimes you dont know that you are wasting time until the pain comes.
Its all about percentages. If you are productive at least 7-8-9 hours per day, you wont feel like you are wasting time.
When enough years have passe, being productive, you'll forget all about this wasted time.
You are not old. If you safeguard your health, you got another 34 years ahead of you, maybe more.

freshyda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 1, 2021
It doesn't matter that you "have lost" 10 years. It's still not too late, just go on and start doing nice things that will help you grow financially. There are lots of cases when people became successful in their 40's and even later

Ali Abbasi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 24, 2021
Northern Virginia, USA
I’m 40 and just getting started so I feel ya. It is what it is but the fastlane principles can make up for lost time faster than the alternative.

Plus you’re more seasoned now through life experiences. Also as mentioned keeping fit is a must. Don’t dwell on the past use it to inform future choices. Good luck.

Last edited:

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
I'm 38 and I still struggle myself. I work a very slowlane 50+ hours a week job and have very little time for everything else outside of my work.

Sounds like you've already taken a step with your web business which is great. I can't even get that far myself. Any idea I think of requires a skill I don't have or the ability to service customers during normal business hours which I don't have.

Keep at it!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.