The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Do You Celebrate Hitting a Big Milestone?

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
Hi All - I have hit a big milestone financially (not quite a millionaire - that's further down the line!). A couple of things have paid off but they are investments rather than "Execution Thread worthy" etc. and I am rubbish at celebrating my birthday, just generally celebrating my achievements and want to change that this year. Any ideas? It can be free but shouldn't cost more than $2000 USD as I want to keep my eye on the prize rather than blow $$$ on pointless material stuff. All ideas gratefully received. Just a reminder: I'm completely debt free (no mortgage/credit card debt etc.) so this is purely 'treat' money to celebrate how far I've come whilst recognizing I've still got a lot to do :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Vacation to some exotic location?
Road trip and stay at a nice hotel?

I'm partial toward things that will leave fond memories.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It is a personal journey and that is a personal question. I favor nice restaurants with the wife for wins in business.

Even more than that... I favor NOT blowing money on something you are having a hard time thinking up. That is a money allergy. ;)

Add it to your net worth. Buy a gold coin or something.

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
Vacation to some exotic location?
Road trip and stay at a nice hotel?

I'm partial toward things that will leave fond memories.

Wow MJ - I didn't expect YOU to reply :) Really appreciate you taking the time to do so!!! :)

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
It is a personal journey and that is a personal question. I favor nice restaurants with the wife for wins in business.

Even more than that... I favor NOT blowing money on something you are having a hard time thinking up. That is a money allergy. ;)

Add it to your net worth. Buy a gold coin or something.

Thank you KAK :) I really do want to celebrate this time. I really want for nothing so probably why I'm having a hard time thinking something up. And I'm invested in metals/commodities so gold coin is technically covered ;)

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I think you are in London so if you go along the M1, M40 or M3 you get to McLaren, Aston Martin, Mercedes, JLR , Prodrive and all have driving experiences on track or off road at their own facilities

Then book yourself into a top notch Spa Hotel near one of them and you have a very nice weekend.

Get the latter on Groupon and you will not get anywhere near £1500 even if you take a girlfriend with you .

You can start at The Ritz for Tea :)

Dan

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
I think you are in London so if you go along the M1, M40 or M3 you get to McLaren, Aston Martin, Mercedes, JLR , Prodrive and all have driving experiences on track or off road at their own facilities

Then book yourself into a top notch Spa Hotel near one of them and you have a very nice weekend.

Get the latter on Groupon and you will not get anywhere near £1500 even if you take a girlfriend with you .

You can start at The Ritz for Tea :)

Dan

Well remembered Stargazer and nice to "see" a fellow Brit on the FLF :)

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
I don't know how you should celebrate, I'll share what I like.

I don't care too much about vacations or travelling, I'd rather attend a 10-day vipassana course than go on a vacation. If you can afford not to work for 2 weeks, the vipassana course is free, and it is kind of a reward in that you are doing something for yourself that is 100% removed from business or any worldly concerns (it's not a vacation though, it's grueling).

As far as worldly rewards, I do like material things. I like watches, fountain pens and knives. Every so often when I've been working hard and successfully and I feel like I want to enjoy my money a bit, I'll buy a nice knife or pen, these are in the $100-$500 range, so it's not really any financial impact, for me it's definitely worth it to have a luxury thing that I use regularly and really enjoy having around. I've only bought one watch so far... watches are in the $5-15k range, so the one I bought was to celebrate stabilizing on a new income level, the next watch will come when I hit the next income-level.

Bruhmoment

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 24, 2020
atlantis
Do something you have never done before, get out of your comfort zone. It doesn't necessarily need to require money, you can go on a long hike, mountain climbing, flying a glider. I'm sure any activity like the ones stated won't scratch your wallet AND leave you with memories that you will cherish down the line.

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
I don't know how you should celebrate, I'll share what I like.

I don't care too much about vacations or travelling, I'd rather attend a 10-day vipassana course than go on a vacation. If you can afford not to work for 2 weeks, the vipassana course is free, and it is kind of a reward in that you are doing something for yourself that is 100% removed from business or any worldly concerns (it's not a vacation though, it's grueling).

As far as worldly rewards, I do like material things. I like watches, fountain pens and knives. Every so often when I've been working hard and successfully and I feel like I want to enjoy my money a bit, I'll buy a nice knife or pen, these are in the $100-$500 range, so it's not really any financial impact, for me it's definitely worth it to have a luxury thing that I use regularly and really enjoy having around. I've only bought one watch so far... watches are in the $5-15k range, so the one I bought was to celebrate stabilizing on a new income level, the next watch will come when I hit the next income-level.

That's spooky - just this weekend I looked into the 10 day vipassana course as it's something I want to do...! Having said that I tried to do a silent retreat at home during height of COVID and know my mind/thoughts pretty well.

The only other thing I like the idea of is an E-Scooter :happy:. I really like the idea of zipping around town in one - it's about $600. I like watches but I have a $150 one that everyone compliments me on so that'll do for now and I don't know enough about them to decide what'll also be a good investment. And, I don't want the cliche of Rolex/Pateks etc. I'd rather have something relatively rare that I don't see others wearing...:cool:

Boychamp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 13, 2019
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
It really depends on you but here's some things I like to do with regards to celebration:

Personal care related things. IE getting a massage, spa, deep tissue work, consultation with a dietician/personal trainer, new workout (or activity related) apparel. I do Muay Thai and as a birthday present someone got me a new pair of gloves that are totally unnecessary but will make me just a little more excited to practice.
Upgrading work related things. New desk chair that's more ergo, new monitor that you don't really "need" but would be useful and makes you feel good - I clearly work on a computer a lot but obviously change to suite your work.
Someone said it above but also experiences that you haven't done before. Learn to shoot a gun, go skydiving, go up in a hot air balloon, go to a racetrack.
Last: plants. Weird, I know, but plants are rad. And they serve as a constant reminder of your accomplishment as you continue to take care of it - both the accomplishment + the plant.

Also, congratulations on your success!!

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Come up with a number that you want to spend, say $1,000, and then see if you can free yourself from that much in possessions. Donate old clothing, clean out the garage, delete unnecessary online accounts, bank accounts, throw out old stuff, etc. Celebrate by clearing the clutter out of your life instead of adding more to it, so that you can keep your focus where it counts. Afterwards, have a nice cup of tea.

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London
Ahh - you're in London! In which case - covid not withstanding - there should be all manner of ways you can be catered to. (Apologies if you know all of this, just trying to provide some inspiration in case you don't know, or just hadn't remembered some of it!)

In terms of a nice meal like Kak suggested, an obvious choice would be something like one of the restaurants at the Shard, the food is good & the views are great, but if you want to step it up, seek out a Michelin starred place (I'd recommend Texture, an amazing Scandinavian restaurant where the food is incredible & fun - they really do play with texture!) for great food & a special level of service. Then if you still want the view, a more unusual way - instead of going up one of the numerous tall buildings, or the Eye - would be to get a helicopter tour. Yes you can do both & still be in budget. In fact you can probably still squeeze in a night at an opulent hotel (perhaps the Savoy? Very good service & obviously an amazing building).

Helicopter tour, Michelin starred meal, night in a luxury hotel - that'd make for a memorable day I should think!

I would recommend some opera/theatre, but... you know o_O In fact I'm not entirely sure how much of this you could do right now.

If you want something that goes on a little longer (that's not a holiday, someone else will have to give you travel recs ;)) you could also look into joining various private members clubs - there's quite a few that your budget would cover for the year, & leave money for meals, drinks, & activities there.

I really want for nothing so probably why I'm having a hard time thinking something up. And I'm invested in metals/commodities so gold coin is technically covered ;)

If you prefer to buy something, but are lacking in inspiration, a walk down St James's Street should put you in mind of some of the finer things in life (I wouldn't actually buy some of this, but I do find a stroll along it inspiring!) - caviar, wine & spirits (at Berry Bros & Rudd, though also check out Hedonism, Mayfair for wine, & Gerry's, Soho for all manner of exotic & rare spirits), cigars, guns, fine hats, handcrafted shoes, a yacht broker (didn't claim everything on the street would be in budget :rofl: ), & of course Sharps Pixley where I know you said you're covered for gold investment, but if you don't want a straight coin (or your own safe deposit box), they also do a line of wonderfully unnecessary gifts - like a money clip with an inlaid 2.5g gold bar - to make your money look more money :rofl: - silver dice set, various sculptures, gold plated rose, gold plated bottle opener, etc.

Or if you truly want for nothing, but have someone to spoil, then taking them shopping could still bring a smile to your face that is worth every penny.

Oh! & though not on St James's Street, Mulberry is great for well crafted, high end handbags that would fit into your budget better than your obvious Prada, Chanel, etc.

The only other thing I like the idea of is an E-Scooter :happy:. I really like the idea of zipping around town in one - it's about $600.

I think they're still murky legally - but things are trending towards them being more allowed, so I wouldn't necessarily not get one if you want one.

You Can Legally Ride An E-Scooter In London From This Weekend.

- it looks like you can now ride one you've hired, but not one you own?! Oh, government... *le sigh*

I like watches but I have a $150 one that everyone compliments me on so that'll do for now and I don't know enough about them to decide what'll also be a good investment. And, I don't want the cliche of Rolex/Pateks etc. I'd rather have something relatively rare that I don't see others wearing...:cool:

My mind immediately goes to something like A.Lange & Söhne, IWC, & so on, but if you have something that already looks awesome for $150 (would love to know what, I have a soft spot for watches) then $2000's probably not going to do that much more for you. Maybe an entry level something, but not where you really want to be going with this. Save the watch purchase for a future, bigger milestone is my advice.

D

Deleted82046

Hi All - I have hit a big milestone financially (not quite a millionaire - that's further down the line!). A couple of things have paid off but they are investments rather than "Execution Thread worthy" etc. and I am rubbish at celebrating my birthday, just generally celebrating my achievements and want to change that this year. Any ideas? It can be free but shouldn't cost more than $2000 USD as I want to keep my eye on the prize rather than blow $$$ on pointless material stuff. All ideas gratefully received. Just a reminder: I'm completely debt free (no mortgage/credit card debt etc.) so this is purely 'treat' money to celebrate how far I've come whilst recognizing I've still got a lot to do :)
I'd go with jewellery.

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
View attachment 34601
Or you could have your own mini supercar & enjoy every day.​
Come up with a number that you want to spend, say $1,000, and then see if you can free yourself from that much in possessions. Donate old clothing, clean out the garage, delete unnecessary online accounts, bank accounts, throw out old stuff, etc. Celebrate by clearing the clutter out of your life instead of adding more to it, so that you can keep your focus where it counts. Afterwards, have a nice cup of tea.

I'm already Spartan in my apartment - I really don't have a lot! I do an annual clear out as I can't bear clutter, wear clothes until they are of no use to anyone, no social media for personal stuff, donated all DVDs three years ago etc. And I'm British - I have tea every day ;)

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
Plus one for jewellery.

Yes - I have 2 nieces so I can enjoy it and then pass it onto them :)

Thank you to EVERYONE who has been so lovely and supportive on this thread and this Forum!

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
Remember to update us so we can admire your natural good taste. :)

Dan

As I was pondering this - I'd quite like to get a darts board! Totally random but enjoy playing darts; might be good for COVID-boredom! :playful:

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Could be your new hobby.

Your parents invite you round for Sunday lunch and you decline as you are playing a darts match with your team down the Red Lion followed by a few Stella's.

That would get their jaws to drop.

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
Could be your new hobby.

Your parents invite you round for Sunday lunch and you decline as you are playing a darts match with your team down the Red Lion followed by a few Stella's.

That would get their jaws to drop.

We've gone full on Brit - I'd love to know how many Fast Laners outside the UK understand the references to Red Lion & Stella's!

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
Hello Everyone!

I thought I'd update on what I decided to do to celebrate my milestone - brace yourselves :playful:

- We went for some fancy cake/dessert which was yummy - thanks to @Raoul Duke

- I've hired a virtual assistant as I want to accelerate to my next milestone. I felt it was a worthwhile investment but appreciate it's not really a "celebration".

I have saved some money from the celebration pot and may go away if COVID permits. Otherwise I've got a enough left for some nice earrings :)

Really appreciated the ideas and input/support this Forum offers. I really appreciate you all. Stay safe!

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
I have a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label on my Desk.

It has a note on it saying “don’t open until 1X”

I’ve had it for 2 years now, and have drunk a few other bottles since, but not this one.

You see this particular bottle is worth £100,000

... as I can only drink it when I a) clear £25k of personal debt b) clear £75k of business personal guarntees and c) my average income exceeds my expenses.

I’m very close to popping this bottle open too! Can’t wait!

So yeah, rewarding goals and achievements should be a big thing, even if it’s something you can easily do/buy at any time. Even if it’s just a special drink to celebrate with loved ones or allowing yourself a planned purchase such as a car or a watch etc.

Set goal, set reward, GO!

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
I have a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label on my Desk.

It has a note on it saying “don’t open until 1X”

I’ve had it for 2 years now, and have drunk a few other bottles since, but not this one.

You see this particular bottle is worth £100,000

... as I can only drink it when I a) clear £25k of personal debt b) clear £75k of business personal guarntees and c) my average income exceeds my expenses.

I’m very close to popping this bottle open too! Can’t wait!

So yeah, rewarding goals and achievements should be a big thing, even if it’s something you can easily do/buy at any time. Even if it’s just a special drink to celebrate with loved ones or allowing yourself a planned purchase such as a car or a watch etc.

Set goal, set reward, GO!

I wish you well in reaching your goal! And a nice way to celebrate your achievement. Bonne chance :)

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
I don't know if you like cars but what about renting a nice sports car for a day?

EDIT: Oops just saw that you already did it, anyways keep this for the future hahaha, congrats mate!

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
I don't know if you like cars but what about renting a nice sports car for a day?

I am very spoiled: a lot of these lovely suggestions I get (or used to get pre 'rona) as part of the job - we hosted classic car events for clients, lunches at Michelin starred restaurants was pretty standard etc. so I have driven a couple of classic cars but couldn't tell you the model! I know one was an Aston Martin DB but that's it :)

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Personally, a nice strong drink (or a few) makes for a good celebration!

And then I get back to work ASAP. When you focus on your accomplishments is easy to become complacent.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.