The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do motivational speakers like Les Brown hit the fastlane?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
Les Brown is a renowned motivational speaker and has a net worth of reportedly $20 million. This means (correct me if I'm wrong) that he has impacted 10+ million people by providing value in terms of giving hope and inspiration along with some education in enhancing people's dreams.

My questions:
1) Is Les Brown a Slowlaner with massive intrinsic value?

2) If Les Brown was reborn in today's internet generation where people look for BS in everything and are highly skeptical, would he still be able to bring value to the marketplace the way he has done in the past? Or would it require some adjustments like building a business first simply to give him credibility, sort of like Gary Vaynerchuk?

Let me know if question needs to be clarified more, thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
He makes fastlane money like actors and singers. By becoming the number 1 in a very competitive market place with a huge audience.

Are you certain about the competitive market? I mean, in his prime, there weren't many motivational speakers around except for Brian Tracy and Tony Robbins.

And touching on the 2nd part of my question, do you think that huge audience remains today? I mean, there are literally thousands of motivational videos today, why go see a motivational speaker when you have YouTube?

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Brother, this is the 2nd thread you've started based around how to 'make it' in motivational speaking, you got some great advice in your last thread.

There is a time to ignore the masses, of course - but this forum is special, an anomaly. This forum is rare in that the advice you get here is usually worth its weight in gold. When in your mind you think you know better (I am not exempt) vs the overwhelming opinion of the forum, its time to step back and challenge your current beliefs.

Best of luck.

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
Brother, this is the 2nd thread you've started based around how to 'make it' in motivational speaking, you got some great advice in your last thread.

There is a time to ignore the masses, of course - but this forum is special, an anomaly. This forum is rare in that the advice you get here is usually worth its weight in gold. When in your mind you think you know better (I am not exempt) vs the overwhelming opinion of the forum, its time to step back and challenge your current beliefs.

Best of luck.
I'm trying to understand more about the mentality of providing value, specifically intrinsic value. I'm honestly clueless about what you mean when you mention challenging my current beliefs, highlight any beliefs you think I may have, perhaps I have some unconscious beliefs that I am revealing in my posts. All advice is appreciated thanks PureA :)

Chimp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 30, 2016
in today's internet generation where people look for BS in everything and are highly skeptical

I've thought this was the case since this is how I am and how the people I congregate with are. Seeing how much people believe fake news and other bs posts everywhere else on the internet has led me to believe otherwise.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Because motivation sells? It's an emotional "need" that can be sold like any other product. Other emotional needs are safety, love, sex, status, etc.

He's just really good at selling it apparently (I have no idea who he is)

Most people get motivation wrong. They think it is:

"If I have motivation, I can take action"

In actuality it's:

"I take action, and the motivation comes later due to habit" (you know, the PROCESS)

He's good at selling the motivation people crave, and that's it. There's not some big secret behind it. There isn't some magic gateway into motivational speaker land where people hand you money to flap your gums.

I would bet big money (like 5 cents) that this Les Brown has a process behind his success though.

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
Because motivation sells? It's an emotional "need" that can be sold like any other product. Other emotional needs are safety, love, sex, status, etc.

He's just really good at selling it apparently (I have no idea who he is)

Most people get motivation wrong. They think it is:

"If I have motivation, I can take action"

In actuality it's:

"I take action, and the motivation comes later due to habit" (you know, the PROCESS)

He's good at selling the motivation people crave, and that's it. There's not some big secret behind it. There isn't some magic gateway into motivational speaker land where people hand you money to flap your gums.

I would bet big money (like 5 cents) that this Les Brown has a process behind his success though.
Ah, that's what I was failing to understand. The 'emotional' need bit, didn't think about it that way. Thank you @MidwestLandlord !

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
I've thought this was the case since this is how I am and how the people I congregate with are. Seeing how much people believe fake news and other bs posts everywhere else on the internet has led me to believe otherwise.
That's so interesting, now that you've said that, I can bring up several instances of fake news that are probably being shared on my Facebook timeline. Perhaps there's a split in the generation, the mature segment that senses the BS and the younger and more naive segment that just flock with the rest. Or maybe this is how it has always been. Very fascinating.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
I'm trying to understand more about the mentality of providing value, specifically intrinsic value. I'm honestly clueless about what you mean when you mention challenging my current beliefs, highlight any beliefs you think I may have, perhaps I have some unconscious beliefs that I am revealing in my posts. All advice is appreciated thanks PureA :)

I dont understand why you want to be a motivational speaker. Sure, aspire to be a motivational speaker but maybe not right now...

You're 18, I assume you have little to no achievements, you're attempting to skip the process.

So you want to be a motivational speaker. Why? money? (your threads would have me believing this is the case).

Now why would someone want to pay you money to speak?

Value, demand..

How do you bring value and create demand?

DO. THE. WORK.

So this is what you do...

Write down at the end of each day 3 problems that you had that day.

After 30 days you have 90 problems.

Order the problems by those who effect the most people.

Chose a problem that you think you can solve effectively and that effects a lot of people

Now read the book again

Take a deep breath

Execute

Do the work.

Fail/Succeed/Burst into flames

Repeat x 10 years

Still want to be a motivational speaker?

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
That's so interesting, now that you've said that, I can bring up several instances of fake news that are probably being shared on my Facebook timeline. Perhaps there's a split in the generation, the mature segment that senses the BS and the younger and more naive segment that just flock with the rest. Or maybe this is how it has always been. Very fascinating.

If you really want your mind blown, dig deep into studying "confirmation bias"

That's where fake news gets its traction, hell...that's where real news gets it's traction too.

We all just run around in our little confirmation bias bubbles. Some of us are better at challenging those biases than others, but we're all "guilty" of it. Human nature I think.

Last edited:

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
I dont understand why you want to be a motivational speaker. Sure, aspire to be a motivational speaker but maybe not right now...

You're 18, I assume you have little to no achievements, you're attempting to skip the process.

So you want to be a motivational speaker. Why? money? (your threads would have me believing this is the case).

Now why would someone want to pay you money to speak?

Value, demand..

How do you bring value and create demand?

DO. THE. WORK.

So this is what you do...

Write down at the end of each day 3 problems that you had that day.

After 30 days you have 90 problems.

Order the problems by those who effect the most people.

Chose a problem that you think you can solve effectively and that effects a lot of people

Now read the book again

Take a deep breath

Execute

Do the work.

Fail/Succeed/Burst into flames

Repeat x 10 years

Still want to be a motivational speaker?
I appreciate what you're trying to do and I'm glad you made this post so other young people who want to be motivational speakers may one day stumble upon it. I don't want to be a motivational speaker, I tried in the past and it didn't work out because it never felt right to me. In fact, it was partly why I started my youtube channel. Nevertheless, I appreciate the fact that you've taken time to analyse my posts to try and help me, empathy is key. Thank you @PureA

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This seems to be a common misconception. I believe I've been finding for quite some time, that Extroverts and Introverts are motivated in different ways. Since their brains are wired differently. I believe in the consensus as always been in behavior therapy if you change the behavior, it will last long-term. I believe you could use Authoritarian parents a example.
Punishment and reward. If you do what I tell you to do, I will give you this reward. And Extrovert will more likely do what they're told to avoid punishment. And Introvert will rebel, and do everything else, but they're told to do, unless they're very submissive. They could care less whether you take everything away from them. So unless it makes sense in their thought process, of why they should comply, they're not worried about getting that reward, unless their is a long-term reward.

I believe this for the simple reason, I'm an INFJ. My son INFP. Looking back with both of us, ESTJ's/ENTJ's, would always get rattled with both of us through the years, because we'll maneuver our way around obstacles, versus, be obedient, and take the reward placed in front of us. It's just our core personality to be a natural revolutionist and rebel. Unless the reward is something we both want very badly, neither one of us complied in our childhood and teenage years in certain circumstances. So Motivation, in our perspective is driven off of Acetycholine.

In my case as an INFJ, the inner motivation as Entrepreneur, is long-term gain of being financially free. In my Experience as INFJ, shiny objects, scams, copy writing, and being lured by persuasive speech doesn't ever work for me. So I believe you can even say, before I even thought about being an Entrepreneur, I've never been drawn to social trends, and following the herd as much as other people. You could go back to high school, where I didn't even care to be the, "Popular person."

The motivating factor of being an Entrepreneur is different for every individual.

From just being in the Forum, I watched my son listen to me talk about the forum, so his beliefs changed, and then his habit was created to succeed. While people kept telling him he needed to be disciplined by Authoritarians, I told him no he didn't. He needed self-discipline, and the key was inner motivation. No one can actually discipline him, but himself. So until that switch is flipped in our minds, we don't take action, until it makes sense to take a certain action. The cause and effect of action. The motivation is the reward of what will occur after I create the habit, and what kind of outcome does my action create in forming this new habit. If forming the new habit doesn't resonate with me, It may be a waste of time, energy, and a bad outcome. In a business aspect, a wrong turn.

I believe it goes back to what M.J. stated, "Taking the right action." Although M.J. I believe stated as well, he was an Introvert. Some types of Extroverts have a tendency of taking action, slicing and dicing, and forming a habit, but than after the consequences, than think to themselves, "Why did I take that action before thinking about the cause and effect to create the outcome I desired."

I believe there is some articles I read stating how the Introvert can see what the Extrovert doesn't, and the Extrovert may be more structured, organized, and make better choices for short-term gains in business.

I believe both are good leaders in different ways, and depends on the business and dynamics involved.

Motivating factors will always be different for Introverts and Extroverts.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.