The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I sell to schools?

Jb22

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 30, 2020
Germany
Hello everyone,

I'm about to launch my first "people" business - selling (more nutritious, healthier and cheaper)food to/at schools. Nearly everything I can prepare is done, like a website, logistics, etc. Although it's not 'sexy' and I'd have to work at the counter for the first weeks, it's scaleable, has good niche and there is a market for it. The next step would be to look up schools near my area and categorize adresses and types in a document. But what then? I'd have to offer my services to them - but to be honest I'm very unsure about this step. Here are some thoughts about the situation:

- Schools(atleast the public ones where I live) are not profit oriented. They often use equipment or software decades old and are hesitant to change what already works(even if it's not efficient)
- I either call the secretary and try to get to someone who makes descisions OR
- I try to look up the email of the principal/vice principal and mail them
- My goal is to make a short appointment where I can talk face to face to show value and go more indepth
- I could also just show up and ask if they have a minute
- It would be a big commitment for some, even if they are unhappy with their current supplier, as they'd have to drop a long term business partner and trust someone who'd normally attend their school at that age

I'm sure being anxious about it clouds my thoughts, but I have no Idea where and how to start. I watched some videos and read the threads on here, but still no idea how I should go about my inital sales pitch, to get through the door. Any advice or links to resources are appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

aeden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Feb 28, 2020
Melbourne, FL
Hello everyone,

I'm about to launch my first "people" business - selling (more nutritious, healthier and cheaper)food to/at schools. Nearly everything I can prepare is done, like a website, logistics, etc. Although it's not 'sexy' and I'd have to work at the counter for the first weeks, it's scaleable, has good niche and there is a market for it. The next step would be to look up schools near my area and categorize adresses and types in a document. But what then? I'd have to offer my services to them - but to be honest I'm very unsure about this step. Here are some thoughts about the situation:

- Schools(atleast the public ones where I live) are not profit oriented. They often use equipment or software decades old and are hesitant to change what already works(even if it's not efficient)
- I either call the secretary and try to get to someone who makes descisions OR
- I try to look up the email of the principal/vice principal and mail them
- My goal is to make a short appointment where I can talk face to face to show value and go more indepth
- I could also just show up and ask if they have a minute
- It would be a big commitment for some, even if they are unhappy with their current supplier, as they'd have to drop a long term business partner and trust someone who'd normally attend their school at that age

I'm sure being anxious about it clouds my thoughts, but I have no Idea where and how to start. I watched some videos and read the threads on here, but still no idea how I should go about my inital sales pitch, to get through the door. Any advice or links to resources are appreciated!

I have no idea how the public school system works in Germany. You'll likely have to figure out which government body (local, regional, national) is in charge of budgets for public schools and then determine how their procurement works. I'd wager going directly to a public school will not work.

You may want to consider private schools if there are any near you. They will likely control their own procurement and thus might be more open to hearing about, and potentially buying, solutions to their problems.

Good luck!

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Maybe try daycares or private preschools first to get your feet wet? Then move onto private schools and then public schools? Public schools at least here in the US have a lot of red tape to get through and most of the decisions are made at the school district level not the individual school level.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Either you are still at school or have recently left.

I would suggest you approach your current/old school as it is quite easy to do so and meet up with an old teacher of yours. ie Foot-in-the-door

Sounds like you wish to start a school catering business. Not sure that will be easy for you. Large upfront costs would be involved in setting up a facility that passes all regulatory checks.

Is this your idea?

Dan

Jb22

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 30, 2020
Germany
Most sellers I have seen have been independent. They use a room / shack on the outside and selll the products directly to the students. I want to sell to the students, not the school. All I'm asking of the administrators is their approval and cooperation. This way I hope to circumvent the slow government approval process.

Graduated a year ago, but the school already has a supplier.
Regulations are surprisingly tame, if you don't use eggs, flour,etc(raw products).

Last edited:

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Who in the school makes the decision? Who is the gatekeeper? You'll want to target them.

Maybe try daycares or private preschools first to get your feet wet? Then move onto private schools and then public schools? Public schools at least here in the US have a lot of red tape to get through and most of the decisions are made at the school district level not the individual school level.

Great idea!

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I don't know how schools work outside of the US or outside of Texas to be honest, but I used to own a restaurant and we did a ton of work with schools. In my city, we had to go through a certification process to do any business with schools and it was all regulated by the district - so once you got approval by the district, you were free to work with any school within that district (about 50 schools total). They did this approval process once a year in the summer before the new school year, so if you missed the deadline you were out of luck until the next year.

Again, not sure how it works in Germany or if you have districts like we have here in the states, but starting with a principle and picking their brain on the matter is a great place to start.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Setting the regulation part aside since I think you'll be able to find documentation about that...

What does a decision maker or influencer in the school you're targeting want?

If they want credibility and prestige and you can give it to them by offering better nutrition for kids, try that angle.

If they want funding for the chess club and you can share 2% of sales with a club of their choice, try that angle.

There are so many ways into a deal when you can figure out what one individual person wants. They can be the decision maker, or someone who exerts a lot of influence on the decision maker. Sometimes it's 2 or 3 people. Sometimes it's an influential administrator over several locations.

Just stay within ethical boundaries and create a deal that makes everyone's day better.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.