The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How did you escape the slowlane?

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
Thinking of quitting my dead end job as it makes me depressed. Sick of being in the slowlane but I can't see a way out for myself. How do I change my ways and escape? How did you guys escape the slowlane?

I have about 10 grand saved so money in the short term isn't an issue but I don't know where to start if I want to escape. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AvocadoMan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 14, 2017
Australia
Thinking of quitting my dead end job as it makes me depressed. Sick of being in the slowlane but I can't see a way out for myself. How do I change my ways and escape? How did you guys escape the slowlane?

I have about 10 grand saved so money in the short term isn't an issue but I don't know where to start if I want to escape. Any advice would be appreciated.
Personally, I would quit the depressing job. Find work you enjoy and in your spare time work on building something for yourself. Outdoor work that gets you moving is always fun :) Just get moving and stay moving forward - you will feel a lot better mate. It is most likley the feeling stuck that is getting to you. Motion is the key.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Thinking of quitting my dead end job as it makes me depressed. Sick of being in the slowlane but I can't see a way out for myself. How do I change my ways and escape?
Figure out how to be motivated and learn while on your job. Build the skills and escape plan while you are there. Search for a better job if you need to.

The ideal way to jump to the next lane is to be motivated and pressing in your current lane. This does not mean that you want to be there, just make the most of it.

I don't believe that depression comes from a job. It comes from within. Solve that first.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
You can "escape" when you can live on your own income.

What are all your expenses? Figure out that number. That's your freedom number. When you can earn that number reliably - you can quit your job.

Key word there being "can" though. If you are taking profits out to live on, you aren't using those profits to expand and if you quit early you will be shooting yourself in the foot. Better to build your business up to a point where your living expenses is some smaller % of your overall profits to ensure your business will survive once you make the transition to full time entrepreneur.

If your expenses are $3k, and your profits are $3k, you can't grow very easily without using debt. Expenses = 100% of profits. Bad situation.
If your expenses are $3k, and your profits are $15k, well that's a hell of a lot better and a much easier decision. Expenses = 20% of profits. A lot better.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
The ideal way to jump to the next lane is to be motivated and pressing in your current lane. This does not mean that you want to be there, just make the most of it.

This is key. You need to have a mental roadmap on how to get from A to B and spend every working day on progressing towards that "final destination" (only to realize that the final destination will always change, but that's a different story ;-). We only ever hear of the "rags to riches"-entrepreneurs. How they rose from a dead-end job to building a multi million dollar enterprise. All they had was a good idea and some perseverence!

These stories seldomly show you the whole truth. The process of getting from rags to riches has been left out as this does not make for an interesting read. Where women are mentally fooled by airbrushed images of celebrities in magazines, men are mentally fooled to believe that entrepreneurial success happens overnight.

geekboy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Nov 8, 2013
Cheshire, UK
If your living expenses are low enough can you switch to part-time or find a different part-time job?

Will make it much easier to work on a business when you're also not having to put 40+ hours per week & commute time.

I switched from full time to about 22 hours at my last job before finally quitting a few months later. Definitely helped me make the transition

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.