The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Ameritrade Saved me $100K!

Anything related to investing, including crypto

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, was I a lucky, lucky boy today.

I have a position in the Silver ETF (SLV) which is trading around $198.00. I own 1,000 shares (which I opened today at 197.07)

Ameritrade has a feature which allows you to set "Trade Triggers" which initiate orders based on predetermined factors you set. I had some appointments today and wasn't going to be home much of the morning, so I went to set up a trigger.

I set it up as "If SLV Last Sale is > (greater than) 98.08, place limit order to sell 1000 shares at 98.08".

I submitted the trigger and it was instantly activated. Instead of getting filled, I received a message that said "Your trigger has been activated, however we cannot submit the order because your limit price is too far below the bid price".

I read this message and couldn't quite figure out what I did wrong. So, I did it again. And again. And again. 4 times, 4 activated triggers and 4 messages saying "We can't do this."

So finally, I realize. SLV is trading in the 198 range, not 98. I was dropping/forgetting the 1.

In effect, had Ameritrade not had the proper "IDIOT PROOF" UI controls, I would have submitted this trigger and instantly been filled -- at a prompt, instant loss of $100,000 -- $100 short of the market bid.

I feel so lucky and thankful that Ameritrade's web guys have structures in place to check for these types of user errors.

A resounding .... WHEW!!!!

MJ

PS: I ended up closing the trade for a small $1,049 gain in the day trade - I was in the position for about 2 hours. Silver has retraced a bit today and I think it is a good place to be.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
LOL, I was reading the post and wondering 98??? I made the same screw up last week but the schwab system didn't sell at the price I put it in, it sold at market at least.

Today, I have no idea how I did this, but I bought some calls at $8.80. Then I went to click the order status and I accidentally double-clicked it. Before I knew it a sell order at market went through and it sold my calls at $8.60. Instant $0.20 loss per share in less than 10 seconds.

Then I proceeded to watch the call go down to $7.50. :banana:

So I wasn't too mad at myself. I still can't figure out how I placed a sell at market order with just 1 click.

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
btw what are ETF's? I haven't heard of those before

offroad,

ETF stands for exchange traded fund. You can think of an ETF much like a mutual fund that trades throughout the day on the exchange like a stock as opposed to being priced after the close. ETFs can be set up to track certain indices, commodities, sectors, countries, etc. Examples include SPY (S&P 500), QQQQ (Nasdaq 100), GLD (gold), SLV (silver), XLF (financials), XLE (energy), EWJ (Japan), EWZ (Brazil).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Even if it's filled it sells at the market price I think, you can't sell under the bid withoutclearing the bids.

Not sure about that, I made the same mistake about 5 years ago ... transposed the order entry limit price from 24.30 to 23.40 -- I was filled instantly at the mistake price despite being $1 under the bid.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
I really like Ameritrade... after a couple of mergers, they seem to have the best platform. Only other that seems to come close is Fido.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.