The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How a 15-year-old entrepreneur got her product into Nordstrom

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

whiteeclipse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
May 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
She launched her business two years ago, but Houston teenager Madison Robinson has yet to face something most new entrepreneurs do: rejection. Every store buyer she has approached has placed an order for her Fish Flops for Kids shoe brand.
Robinson came up with the idea for her sea-creature-adorned flip-flops with battery-operated lights when she was just 8, living at the beach in Galveston Island, Tex. Her dad Dan, a former banker turned t-shirt designer, helped her turn her drawings into a product and get samples made. More than 30 stores placed orders the first time they exhibited at a trade show, so he hired an overseas manufacturer and started shipping in May 2011.
Launched with “friends and family†financing, the enterprise is already profitable, the elder Robinson says. The shoes now sell online, in various retail boutiques, and at 60 Nordstrom stores nationwide for around $20 a pair. They’re also coming soon to FlipFlopShops.com, and Macy’s buyers in New York recently asked Madison to design a line for women. More than 60,000 pairs sold in 2012, making for retail sales of at least $1.2 million. That's not all Fish Flops' income; the Robinsons sell wholesale. But Dan Robinson says it's safe to say that his daughter, who is about to complete 9[SUP]th[/SUP] grade, has already socked away enough profits to cover her college tuition.
The 15-year-old draws all of her own designs and chooses color combinations digitally, but has also learned how to pack shipments, stock the warehouse, explain her pricing, host a tradeshow booth, and make a sales pitch.
She has also mastered social media marketing: Through Tweeting from @FishFlops she got the young daughter of Entertainment Tonight host Nancy O’Dell to wear the shoes, and captured the attention of HSN fitness personality Tony Little. (Tweeting is also how she got this reporter interested in her story.)
But to get into Nordstrom, Robinson employed an old-fashioned sales technique. “I wrote a letter to the buyers,†she told a Houston Fox reporter. “I didn’t think I would get in, but I did.â€

Several ideas that came from the kindness of her heart have also turned out to be savvy business moves. Her offer of free Fish Flops and volunteer work for a charity that supports the children of fallen military heroes led to a major order from the Army’s Post Exchange stores. At the Teen Choice Awards in 2011, she got celebrities to sign 300 pairs of Fish Flops for Texas Children’s Hospital patients. And by donating 10,000 pairs of Fish Flops to a community shoe drive and supporting the Texas Parks & Wildlife’s K-12 State Fish Art Contest she has garnered some good press.
Robinson says she’s learned more than just how to run a business in two years. “When I go shoe shopping now, I look carefully at the quality of the materials.†Fish Flops, she says, are sturdy and made without punch-out holes in the soles so the straps don’t pop out the way they do in generic flip-flops.
The experience has also honed her public speaking skills. All the practice explaining her product at industry expos and making presentations to stone-faced department store buyers, she says, “makes it easier to get up in class and talk.â€
She’s also learned patience: The worst part of business, Robinson says, is “waiting for stores to decide†if they want her goods on their shelves. She’s also waiting to spend her profits. “My Dad won’t let me touch the money,†she says. “It’s for college.†For special purchases such as a new iPhone she relies, like normal teenagers do, on cash saved from birthday and holiday gifts.
What’s next for the Fish Flops founder? After summer break she’s looking forward to taking a 10[SUP]th[/SUP] grade business and finance class. She also plans to study business in college. “Eventually,†she says, “I want to do something by myself.†Meantime, however, Dad says the Fish Flops brand is “just getting started.â€

How a 15-year-old entrepreneur got her product into Nordstrom | Profit Minded - Yahoo! Small Business Advisor

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

goodfella

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 4, 2013
seems as though the dad is the brains behind the business and shes just a marketing gimmick. Obviously if she didn't have all the people around her help her through her journey she wouldn't be where shes at. Whatever I'm sure she deserves some credit.

charto911

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jun 3, 2013
While I dont see the differentiator of the product it sounds like she has a will and a bright star to be looking out for in the next 10 years

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I read that and I certainly feel there is more in this story than what presented. Obviously the Dad seems to be the brain and engine of this thing and she is kind of media marketing tool, so big blogs write about the "15 year old miracle kid" while giving her Dad's business free exposure online. Though the website as for now doesn't look functional. I would like to see something more solid and sounding more true...
Her broadcasted story reminds me of that other kid a few days ago proclaimed to have earned millions from selling an (ONE (1)) app to google and owning Ferraris and Lambos :p
Using kids for free media marketing is becoming more and more usual these days.

MooreMillions

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 16, 2008
Atlanta
I love these stories. Sure, there is a little salesmanship in the copy, but kids have more acccess to information and technology than ever before and those that want to do business can do it faster, leaner, and meaner than we could have because of the tools available to them.
seems as though the dad is the brains behind the business and shes just a marketing gimmick. Obviously if she didn't have all the people around her help her through her journey she wouldn't be where shes at. Whatever I'm sure she deserves some credit.
Yeah, a little. I mean, she has what everybody wants...a backer. She handles all of the creative content/marketing. If she didn't have any talent, he couldn't "use" her as a gimmick, in my opinion.
I read that and I certainly feel there is more in this story than what presented. Obviously the Dad seems to be the brain and engine of this thing and she is kind of media marketing tool, so big blogs write about the "15 year old miracle kid" while giving her Dad's business free exposure online. Though the website as for now doesn't look functional. I would like to see something more solid and sounding more true...
Her broadcasted story reminds me of that other kid a few days ago proclaimed to have earned millions from selling an (ONE (1)) app to google and owning Ferraris and Lambos :p
Using kids for free media marketing is becoming more and more usual these days.

I truly believe it is more her brainchild, than his. He had a career that was a direct connection to garnering capital and that's the battle, right there, capital...

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Um lets rethink this... Dad works in clothing company, if you did some research just look at the website, it's not just flip flops its a whole outfit, the dad is clearly the power behind this, he has all the tools to create the CAD and markers/patterns for the designs, all he had to do was change up some equip to get on flip flops. He probably had connections in China did the necessary requirements as well and viola he has a fully functional business. But wait... what is that your drawing... hmm brain blast. My daughters drawing will be the next big thing, my daughter will be the face of this company, I will just run it and bam... 1...2...3...

Do you honestly believe the dad isn't going to these meetings with everyone? I am not saying a 15 year old can't do this, cause when I was 15 I ran a tutoring company and had 3 people under my staff, never made a dime close to those numbers, but she didn't start this at 15 she thought of the designs at 8. What can an 8 year old really understand in terms or marketing and what not.

Dad is a genius marketing generator, charity is a great thing to do, and you need a sponsor for your company, what better sponsor than your daughter whom everyone can fall in love with. Pitch the right story and viola headlines!

Great job though. I am sure that girl will learn a lot of stuff and go to a great business school and perhaps create another line of products if even needed? Let's be honest this company can easily make 5m+ in profit by the time she is 18.

skylizard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 22, 2011
Um lets rethink this... Dad works in clothing company, if you did some research just look at the website, it's not just flip flops its a whole outfit, the dad is clearly the power behind this, he has all the tools to create the CAD and markers/patterns for the designs, all he had to do was change up some equip to get on flip flops. He probably had connections in China did the necessary requirements as well and viola he has a fully functional business. But wait... what is that your drawing... hmm brain blast. My daughters drawing will be the next big thing, my daughter will be the face of this company, I will just run it and bam... 1...2...3...

Do you honestly believe the dad isn't going to these meetings with everyone? I am not saying a 15 year old can't do this, cause when I was 15 I ran a tutoring company and had 3 people under my staff, never made a dime close to those numbers, but she didn't start this at 15 she thought of the designs at 8. What can an 8 year old really understand in terms or marketing and what not.

Dad is a genius marketing generator, charity is a great thing to do, and you need a sponsor for your company, what better sponsor than your daughter whom everyone can fall in love with. Pitch the right story and viola headlines!

Great job though. I am sure that girl will learn a lot of stuff and go to a great business school and perhaps create another line of products if even needed? Let's be honest this company can easily make 5m+ in profit by the time she is 18.

Exactly. The product alone isn't anything earth shattering. It's the story behind it and the notion that an 8 year old girl could come up with this idea and have the success she has at the age of 15. The dad saw a great opportunity and jumped on it. Smart guy.

2KidsinUT

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 2, 2012
Utah
Good story. If you read the story, it says that she launched her business two years ago based on an idea she came up with when she was 8. If she is 15 now, that means she had at least 5 years to develop her business interests and product before launching. It is natural that she required guidance and assistance from an adult, such as her dad. Just like everybody, she had to start from the beginning... with absolutely no knowledge or experience. The girl was fortunate to have such a knowledgeable and participating dad to be her mentor and to help her successfully launch her business. This, however, does not make it any less her startup. It still required a lot of effort and dedication from her.

My dad helped my sister and I launch our first startup when we were 6 and 7. Sure we didn't know anything at that age, but we still came up with our own idea for a product, which our dad helped us develop and manufacture. Although he probably did the bulk of the work, we still had to sacrifice a lot of play time, saved allowance money, and head banging to develop the product, bootstrap our own manufacturing and packaging, and create an ad. But when it was all done, we had a nice little product which my sister and I sold to students, parents and teachers at our school. We made several hundred in a couple weeks. Our dad wanted to help us grow our business, but we were too young to understand or appreciate the value of growth and marketing. However, we learned a cool trick and used a portion of our profits to finance our next venture.

My point is, although children have a limited understanding of the world around them, they are still inspired by their own activities and by the activities of the adults around them. At school, my sister and I were learning Logo Turtle Graphics (a computer curriculum), but, we could only use the program on these ancient school computers, and not at home on our own computers. Our dad was involved in computer related businesses and often gave us little games and other programs that he developed, and that we could run on our own computers off of floppy disks. It didn't take much stretch of the imagination for us to put the two activities together and come up with a great idea. With guidance and support from our dad, we launched our first company and product "Pocket Logo[SUP]TM[/SUP]". It was a shooting star... launched, profited, and died in 2 weeks. As for Madison Robinson, she was a little 8 year old girl who came up with an obviously little-girl idea for sea-creature-adorned flip-flops with battery-operated lights. Her dad was an ex-banker turned t-shirt designer who probably did a lot of work related activities around her. It doesn't take much stretch of the imagination to put those two together either. Although it took a few years for her to develop her idea to the point of launching a business, she is also old enough to understand and appreciate the value of marketing and the affect it would have on her business. As for the dads, they were simply doing what good parents do... sacrificing a little spare time, knowledge, and effort to teach and guide their children towards a successful and profitable future.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.