The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hit a roadblock in my design project. Need engineering advice.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Just like a tittle suggests - I am struggling to solve a certain issue my product potentially might have. I was ready to order a sample after CNY, but someone left feedback on the landing page saying that stability might be a problem.

The sample cost is not cheap (a bit over 1k), so I am trying to hit a home run with a first order, before placing a large order right after.

Basically, it’s an indoor / outdoor golf hitting platform with a golf ball attached to it.

Initially, I had a large sheet metal base (24x18 cm) that the whole construction would sit on, but glancing over shipping costs and profit margins - I quickly adjusted the design and made the base smaller and lighter.

For simplicity, how can I keep a piece of around 24x18 cm OR smaller flat metal stable indoors? When golf ball is hit, there will be quite a lot of inertia, which would want to make the whole thing bounce.

I have thought about adding something like silicone suction cups, but that would only work if the surface was perfectly smooth.

By indoors I mean someone wants to use it in the garage (cement floor) OR inside the house (tiled area, linoleum, and maybe carpet).

I know it’s a very specific question, but maybe someone also made sports equipment for home practice where stability was important.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Just like a tittle suggests - I am struggling to solve a certain issue my product potentially might have. I was ready to order a sample after CNY, but someone left feedback on the landing page saying that stability might be a problem.

The sample cost is not cheap (a bit over 1k), so I am trying to hit a home run with a first order, before placing a large order right after.

Basically, it’s an indoor / outdoor golf hitting platform with a golf ball attached to it.

Initially, I had a large sheet metal base that the whole construction would sit on, but glancing over shipping costs and profit margins - I quickly adjusted the design and made the base smaller and lighter.

For simplicity, how can I keep a piece of around 24x30 cm flat metal stable indoors? When golf ball is hit, there will be quite a lot of inertia, which would want to make the whole thing bounce.

I have thought about adding something like silicone suction cups, but that would only work if the surface was perfectly smooth.

By indoors I mean someone wants to use it in the garage (cement floor) OR inside the house (tiled area, linoleum, and maybe carpet).

I know it’s a very specific question, but maybe someone also made sports equipment for home practice where stability was important.
Velcro sticky strips?

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands

Initially, I had a large sheet metal base that the whole construction would sit on, but glancing over shipping costs and profit margins - I quickly adjusted the design and made the base smaller and lighter.

For simplicity, how can I keep a piece of around 24x30 cm flat metal stable indoors? When golf ball is hit, there will be quite a lot of inertia, which would want to make the whole thing bounce.

You may need to share a little more information or a sketch of the design (PM me if you don't want to post it here).

First off, you have given two important dimensions (X,Y). Still what I am missing is the 3rd dimension (z) and the material type (density). Weight of the thing is pretty important. E.g. If it is 5 mm high and made out of depleted Uranium that bad boy is not moving a micro meter.

Also how to you T-up? do you have a cylindrical rubber tee? Or a fixed hard Tee? Or a spring T? Depending what you choose, this will affect the transfer of force to the metal plate based on the rigidity of the Tee structure. I would recommend the driving range option (rubber cylinder - interchangeable) They are robust and very flexible, so much so that it will give away way before you exceed the weight of the pad (assuming its not made from tin foil).

Also, I can only assume that the driving (golf ball) direction is parallel with the longest side? What will happen if the user hits a ball parallel to the 24 cm length? A square shape would reduce the chances of user lining the drive/shot up wrong as it will not matter which direction it is set up (therefore a circular shape is probably optimal for idiot proofing).

Hope this helps

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Velcro sticky strips?

Yes, I've thought about doing that.

I can secure Velcro to the mat and Velcro to the bottom of the unit base underside, it would hold.
But then customer would likely need to buy some velcro mat separately to be able to use product indoors.

First off, you have given two important dimensions (X,Y). Still what I am missing is the 3rd dimension (z) and the material type (density). Weight of the thing is pretty important. E.g. If it is 5 mm high and made out of depleted Uranium that bad boy is not moving a micro meter.

24 cm x 18 cm x 16 in tall
Stainless steel, 3/16"
The overall weight is around 16-19 lb

Also, I can only assume that the driving (golf ball) direction is parallel with the longest side?

Yes, it is.

I sent you a PM

Last edited:

RalphXd

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jan 13, 2020
What about water? Maybe just have a flat plastic watertank that users can fill. E.g. something similar to the type of foldable 40L watertank you take with you on a camping trip maybe, but made to spec so it wraps around your product?

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Depending on what's on top: Can you have something filled with sand or some kind of weight? Thinking of these:

Century_BOB_XL_Dummy_1_large.jpg

Jack Hammer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 19, 2018
Perhaps you can make it large enough that the user has to stand on it. I know you're wanting to make it smaller, so that may not be feasible. If that won't work, I vote for suction cups.

Michael Moore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Apr 6, 2014
Athy, County Kildare, Ireland
TBH you are desiging a product that is being hit at extreme velocity with a large club.
Trying to idiot proof that is a bit tricky , think drinks night...oi lads look at my new toy.
To cover yourself you will have to write a serious disclaimer insisting whatever use by the owner is at the owners discretion and not the liability of the manufacturer.
You can insist it be grouted or siliconed /glued to a fixed position on the floor for safety and stability reasons etc.
Also how have you overcome the stopping force of the aforementioned golf ball wanting to travel 300yards....that is some piece of chord.
This piece of sports equipment has only to be used in a large enough environment to allow for
1. Club swing....higher than most living rooms , garages, and office ceilings.
2. Club swing width.....about the same s the height except on the horizontal.
3. Ball travel.....how long is the attached chord to stop said travel.
4. Ball recoil...will it travel as far back as it goes forward.
5. Safety net to catch said ball.....height width etc.

Have you looked at similar products to see how they solve the same problem.
As one of the founders of Rolls Royce said,
  • “Strive for perfection in everything you do.” ...
  • “Strive for perfection in everything. ...
  • “Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble. ...
  • “Take the best that exists and make it better.” ...
  • “Accept nothing nearly right or good enough” ...
  • “When it does not exist, design it.”
Enjoy your journey and keep asking questions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.