The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

High-end Kitchen Gadget. Where to Sell?

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
Hi Everyone,
During a product search, I've come across a great high-end kitchen gadget. Think in the price range of $150 to $200. I'm not very interested in selling it direct to consumers myself. I'm much more interested in supplying businesses that will then sell to consumers.

My question is: Which businesses should I be talking to?

I've contacted buyers at Sur La Table and Williams-Sonoma with mixed results. Surely these two aren't the only players in the expensive kitchen toys racket. Any other suggestions?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Put it out there for sale to the consumer. Show a track record. They may or may not find you. They will definitely be more likely to listen.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Airline sky magazines?

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@RahKnee ... Would you brand this product, then wholesale to retailers ? If not, what would stop the retailers from finding the manufacturer and buying direct ?

I agree with @ZCP . I spoke with someone high up in a huge retail chain who loved my product. He basically told me to do 'X' tradeshow/s and if I get enough buyers or interest, then contact him. They want to reduce their risk.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Carnage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Sep 4, 2015
You should do the dirty work first.
Sell direct to customers to get sales/profit data to show that the product is in demand and that it's profitable.

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
Sorry for the delay in response. I find myself busier and busier each day and checking in here gets pushed to the bottom of the the To Do list.

Thanks for the input. To answer a few questions/comments, I have the opportunity to negotiate an exclusive distribution contract with the manufacturer. If I go through with that, I would be the only source in the US. They are agreeable to this because they don't know the market here, don't speak English, and we have distant family connections. I would only be hesitant to do this if I didn't think I could sell the product. I don't want my potential incompetence to negatively effect someone's business and cause them to lose out on a huge opportunity.

I have considered selling the product myself through online presence and even trade shows. I am reluctant to do either. There would be more $ to be made per product sold in that approach, but I would essentially be starting from scratch. If I managed to get a large store to purchase the product, I could move more in a few weeks with them than I would be able to move myself in an entire year. They've already got the infrastructure, distribution, and marketing in place. Why reinvent the wheel?

So now I find myself hounding buyers at SLT and WS, looking for others to bother as well, and putting together a website to sell through as a back up plan. I think that is a good approach for now, but I'm always eager to here what the forum has to say.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.