The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hi from Redondo Beach, CA

tonye

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 11, 2011
Redondo Beach, CA
Hello everyone! I just picked up Millionaire Fastlane a few weeks ago...about 30 pages left. What can i say, it's an amazing book and really opened my eyes to a lot of things. I've also been reading a lot of posts here over the last few weeks.

Luckily, I already started on this path...I guess you could say I'm in the number two lane, working my way over :)

I'll try not to make a short story long, but I guess I'm supposed to give an intro so here goes (I'm sure it's TMI, but that's ok).

My name is Tony, nice to meet you all. I grew up in Tacoma, WA, and I hated the cold and rain. always wanted to work for myself, but took the other route instead. As recruiter for my company, I came to Santa Monica to find talent for our new stores, and instantly fell in love.

I had no management experience really, but i put my name in to manage one of the new stores, and two weeks later I was living in Redondo Beach, CA.

I was making around 100k at the time, but I was spending every bit of it. Still doing ok until one night I got a DUI and it started the tail-spin. I refused my test, spent 4 days in lovely LA county jail, couldn't drive for a year, tons of legal fees, was demoted, and my income cut in half...basically, I lost everything, left my apartment to live on my friend's couch for months (cause I could no longer afford rent) and walking around with a dazed look on my face. I was going to file bankruptcy but could afford a lawyer...which looking back on it, i'm happy I didn't.

Since i lost everything, I figured there's no reason why I shouldn't pursue my dream of working for myself, and things worked out where my girlfriend (now my wife) and I moved back to Tacoma to live with my mom and start our own business. After 15 years with my company, I took a layoff (because I tranferred to a store that was closing down) and became unemployed...soon to be self-employed.

My wife had a very basic website, doing some shopping for customers overseas, but it was more of a hobby and she was making about $100.00/month. I had no idea what i was gonna do, and neither of us had any real income.

I started watching The Big Idea, and it taught me how to change my thinking (from consumer to producer). I came up with my big idea, and invented a product.

I hated living in WA, mainly because of the weather. But we made the sacrifice to start our business. My mom had a daycare, so we worked until 6am, slept until 11am, then ran errands and started working...that way we avoided the daycare as much as possible. We did this for a year until we were able to move back to LA.

I scraped together some money to hire an engineer, and a patent attorney. We learned html/css/php because we couldn't afford to hire anyone.

After 8 months, overbudget and behind schedule, I got my first prototype. It was the biggest piece of shit I ever saw in my life. I was crushed. My engineer was going on vacation, and I was almost out of money, way behind schedule, and had nothing. I thought about giving up, and almost did.

But I had too much into it, i couldn't give up. I kept waking up at night, writing down ideas. I came up with an idea that became basically the product as it is today, and within a few weeks had the final product.

The product won an Innovations Engineering and Design award at the Consumer Electronics show a few months later, and last week I was awarded a US patent.

I also build websites (ecommerce, xhtml/css, and blogs) and have a personal development blog (my personal passion).

My wife's business has done very well also, and things are finally coming together.

I'm excited to apply some of the things I've learned from this book, and we have a joint project that we're working on that's related to her business, but on a much larger scale.

So, I guess it turned out pretty long, but that's me in a nutshell. Happy to join the forum, and look forward to contributing and learning!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The product won an Innovations Engineering and Design award at the Consumer Electronics show a few months later, and last week I was awarded a US patent.

Wow, impressive and your story is a great one too. Truly the makings of a Fastlane success story with all the ingredients. Welcome to the board.

Ansley

Banned
Apr 11, 2011
USA
Hello And Welcome Here..!
I really like your article. Its really impressive, It shows your nature and impact of life. Hope you will share here more and enjoy this forum.. I am looking forward a member, who welcome me to this great community...!
Have A Great Day..!

tonye

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 11, 2011
Redondo Beach, CA
Hello And Welcome Here..!
I really like your article. Its really impressive, It shows your nature and impact of life. Hope you will share here more and enjoy this forum.. I am looking forward a member, who welcome me to this great community...!
Have A Great Day..!

Thank you, Ansley! I'm happy to be here! Welcome to you as well.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Since you have a patent... What might this product be?

Thanks, and congrats. Have a Fatburger today.

tonye

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 11, 2011
Redondo Beach, CA
Thank you guys! Mottdog, that would be cool! I'm close to Redondo Pier if...lot's of places to grab a beer there :)

No Fatburger, but I did have In n Out!

My product is called hd EZ lock - it's a Universal HDMI Lock. I designed it originally for Consumer Electronics (which was my background for 15 years before this), mainly Home Theater, to eliminate problems with the HDMI Connection. Common problems are:

- HDMI Cables come loose or completely disconnected pretty easily. It's a hassle to have your picture go out in the middle of a movie, and even worse if you have to reconnect your gear (especially when there's no easy access)
- HDMI Inputs and Cables are known to be pretty fragile. It's pretty common for HDMI Inputs on components to be damaged internally because of stress of a heavy HDMI Cable, or if the cable gets bumped putting excessive pressure on the HDMI Input. It results in an expensive repair.

hd EZ lock attaches to the chassis of the component using the existing chassis screw above/below the HDMI input (or with adhesive if no screw exists) and eliminates stress on the HDMI input because the cable is now supported from the chassis, instead of by the HDMI input itself.

It then "locks" around the HDMI Cable to hold it in place, eliminating intermittent signal dropouts, disconnected cables, or damaged inputs.

Although initially it was targeted for Home Theater, we've found a demand by Medical Manufacturers (for surgical devices with monitors, like portable ultrasound machines, etc) and others in professional industries and we are starting to do a lot of OEM work with these larger companies as HDMI is becoming more widely accepted.

I decided to keep manufacturing in the USA, and as mentioned, it now has a US patent.

We've had our main website up for quite some time, but our new site (not yet complete) will give you an idea of how it works if you'd like to check it out: hd EZ lock – The World's Only Universal HDMI Lock for HDMI Cables

Moderators, if you think I shouldn't post the link, please remove it. I'm only posting it because I was asked about my product, no reason for me to promote it here...thank you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...