The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hi Everyone

Nannan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Oct 9, 2016
Hi Everyone,

Nice to finally write to you all. I'm Nannan, and had a registered account for a year and a half now and have never introduced myself. :eek: As compensation, I'll split this intro into bullet pointed parts starting from 2015 and ending at present. I tried writing out my entire story but it took up 3 pages so bullet pointed.

Past (2015)
  • Graduating College
  • Enjoyed helping people but was lazy in slow lane standards
    • Timid introvert who didn't mind getting pushed around
    • Enjoyed video gaming
    • Living with parents and did not pay for anything
    • Did not help much unless they asked me to
  • Thought winning life equaled:
    • A huge salary
    • Own a home, own a nice car
    • Have a great marriage and kids
  • Problem:
    • College graduate. Only job offer was 40-45K programming
    • Living in NYC, so forget about owning home, worry about food first
    • *Insert money related issue due to low salary and NYC* -- Needless to say, family wasn't that pleased. They wanted me to go to grad school. I went using my college scholarship money and them helping covering the remainder. (Yea I'm a great son :arghh:)
  • Start of figuring out door #3
    • Friend offered me to join his startup in building assets for games. He liked my A.I project in college
    • Joined on May 24th. It was ridiculous
    • We clocked 100+ hours during many weeks.
    • Went to expos, demoed our game that showcased our A.I. Talked to a lot of people, learned a lot of coding skills not taught in school, learned problem solving on the spot.
    • Everything was good except... We did not acquire customers.
    • While in school, decided to join an entrepreneurship club on my friend's request. One issue... it was on decline.
  • Balancing Act
    • Grades began slipping, health deteriorated, my team mates didn't care. We kept restarting the code because the software was not perfect. We didn't consider selling it, no one did sales.
    • Entrepreneur club was hitting an all time low. No one in the club really cared. Club president was usually no where to be found. Club manager was really disappointed.
    • Something had to give.... so I quit the startup in April.
    • I was sick, overweight by 20 pounds and had low grades. But, I learned a lot from the startup hell. Programming, problem solving, money managing, people's skill, taking criticisms, etc.
  • May
    • Elected club president because had startup experience. Also, no one wanted to run for the position.
    • Summer vacation began, did not search for job or internship because I was working on the startup for almost 1 year so missed all the school job/intern hunting opportunities
    • Bought The Millionaire Fastlane and decided to focus on making the entrepreneurship club great again.
  • Summer, Fall, Winter
    • Got rid of all inactives from the club = 95%.
    • Club manager knew I was serious so helped recruit new members with me.
    • Rebuilt entire club focus with a lot of help, planned for executing events when school began
    • Exercised like crazy, dropped 10 pounds
    • School started and began executing with my club like crazy
    • No events worked. Kept clashing with club manager and other organizations, apparently entrepreneurship was hot and many clubs hopped on the band wagon. No one was happy.
    • Late October - November. Finally came to agreement with school entrepreneurship organization and with club manager.
    • Hosted largest event with 300+ people. Our club came back into focus at school.
  • Kicked off our entrepreneurship competition
  • Exploded because most of the 300+ people came to check out what's going on and spread the word
  • We kept executing and got more people joining our events, participated in the competition and had the University covering it.
  • In addition to the competition, we hosted events with big places like Google
  • Other clubs complained but no one listened, we delivered more value and overshadowed them.
  • Our club received 2 awards for delivering value to the University for entrepreneurship. My team rocked, transforming a club that was on the verge of collapse into a powerhouse.:clap:: Best Team Ever!
  • In May, I graduated grad school, still didn't get a fulltime job o_O. But secured a part time with my connections at the club.
  • Worked for 3 months getting my skills up in programming and landed my current job in August.
2017 - Present
  • Have a high 5 figure salary. I could have moved out, rented a place, perhaps get a nice car, buy all the video games I wanted and sleep in over the weekends.... But this isn't 2015 me.
    • I still live with my family because together we can live better. Besides, I like my bed.
    • I use my earnings for my family, I do a lot of heavy lifting at home and spend quality time with them. And I still have a lot of leftover because I honestly don't give 2 s... about trends and wants. I have a 401K and do own stocks in the market. So yes.... I'm crushing the slow lane :rofl:..... How the f* did this happen? 2015 me would have been proud, now me is not so happy.
  • In my spare time, I work with another friend on another startup. However, it's so hard for him to adapt. It takes 3 - 5 months for him to understand that he's not solving a problem, and when we switched he has been slow in implementing his part. This is his only job while my other friends and I are balancing work, somehow the startup environment feels more like a corporation. Shares? Please...
  • So, on January 2018 I have decided to start a business alone.
Thank you everyone who read all the way to this point, I tried to shorten this as much as possible. The reason why I came back on was recently I read Unscripted and had a mental breakdown creating a F*ck This List. It was so bad I called sick for 4 days, because if went to work, I would have cried or worse.

My Ask: I recently wanted to sell on Amazon. I admit this is mostly fueled from reading about FBA, not the gurus but I did pick up a course on Proven Amazon. However, my reasons are it is best to sell something physical nowadays because as a programmer who follows tech companies, I have mostly seen companies seeking VC funding, are not making a profit per customer acquisition and mostly the customers want free value. I believe physical products require customers to exchange money for that products value, essentially I'm making a profit per purchase, and Amazon has the most traffic, online merchandise and warehouse.

I have been researching about FBA since January, in addition I know I need to solve a relatively big problem so I'm now at a crossroad. Should I continue down the FBA route in attempting to sell a physical product on Amazon and eventually expand to multiple channels or should I be searching for any sort of problem to tackle regardless of making a profit per customer (My bias from reading about software companies)? Most of the companies I saw are taking a loss and each new customer isn't really helping.

Thanks again fastlane community, I am open to criticisms, clarifications and questions. I hope I can contribute soon.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...