The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hey and Hello

mattcordier

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 2, 2021
Hi all,

I’m Matt Cordier.
Just read Fastlane and halfway into Unscripted . Looking for support as I shift away from the slow lane.

A brief background:
I spent my 20s and 30s pursuing a life in music. Had an epic failure as a recording studio owner and landed myself deeply in debt.

I went to a coding boot camp. Got a job as a developer. Ran the Dave Ramsey plan to get out of debt…

I like my job. It gives me flexibility and I’m learning a ton about business. But I want my time back.

I’ve lived decades in ideation with little action. Got my a$$ spanked when I stepped out in my own business. So… back to great ideas with no execution. F*ck me and F*ck that. I’m ready for a change.

Glad to be here and looking forward to work the process.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hi all,

I’m Matt Cordier.
Just read Fastlane and halfway into Unscripted . Looking for support as I shift away from the slow lane.

A brief background:
I spent my 20s and 30s pursuing a life in music. Had an epic failure as a recording studio owner and landed myself deeply in debt.

I went to a coding boot camp. Got a job as a developer. Ran the Dave Ramsey plan to get out of debt…

I like my job. It gives me flexibility and I’m learning a ton about business. But I want my time back.

I’ve lived decades in ideation with little action. Got my a$$ spanked when I stepped out in my own business. So… back to great ideas with no execution. f*ck me and f*ck that. I’m ready for a change.

Glad to be here and looking forward to work the process.

What went wrong in the music business? A victim of "follow your passion" with no economic or demand forecasts on the actual marketplace and what they want?

Welcome to the forum Matt, appreciate the intro.

mattcordier

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 2, 2021
What went wrong in the music business? A victim of "follow your passion" with no economic or demand forecasts on the actual marketplace and what they want?

Welcome to the forum Matt, appreciate the intro.
Hi Mj,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

The failure is a somewhat complex beast. I definitely had stars in my eyes.
I think there was an economic demand, particularly for the recording studio.
You've written about the dangers of partnering...that contributed to the downfall.

I'd say the two biggest reasons I am personally responsible for are:
Lack of integrity
I spent all day working and all night drinking. Neglected the other relationships in my life and developed a toxic personality.

Lack of skill
I grew in hundreds of ways building the studio and learning about the craft but didn't spend enough focus on the customer–understanding their needs, knowing the right way to reach them, cultivate them.
I was completely ignorant to effective marketing strategies and had zero sales skills.
------------------------------------------------

I'm on a daily journey of learning now and would like to think I 'cleaned up my act.'
I feel like it's pick a path and go time. I'm not 100% sure what business to create right now.
I could definitely use some counsel in that area.

Wow, there's a lot of sentences that start with "I"
But man, time is vaporizing.
Looking for to kickstart my process beyond personal development and start serving the world in a useful and profitable way.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...