The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Here goes..

Tom Fitzgerald

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jan 23, 2021
Maryland
I joined the forum a few weeks ago. I didn't do an Intro at that point because well, I was at a complete loss for what to actually say.

At the time I had about 4 hours left of the audiobook version of UnScripted . As eye opening and insightful as it's contents were, I also felt a bit... terrified. Terrified because as I went through each chapter all the mistakes nearly everyone in the scripted life make, I discovered I too made them. Terrified because I learned that I had fallen into the category of those who are in love with the idea of being an entrepreneur and part of the shortcut scam. Again, as each chapter unfolded I learned the hard truth, I was nowhere near ready mentally to leave the life of employment and bring value to the world. Truth be told, when jumped in my truck at 1:00 am for the 25 minute drive that morning to UPS to be part of the assembly line of men and women loading thousands of packages into the back of those iconic brown trucks, I almost didn't put turn the book on. I was miserable and wanted to quit everything, even the book.

Maybe it was the 35 degree morning and having to wake up just after midnight for work, or something inside of me was just tired of always failing before even trying, but I kept listening. Kinetic Execution. That was the topic that played that morning. Throughout the entire shift that cold morning all I thought about was how MJ had laid everything out plain and simple for me on why I failed when I attempted to start a web design agency. I had all the skill. I could do this feature, I could make it look good, it'd be super modern. I started it for all the wrong reasons. I wanted to make money. I wanted this and I wanted that. I made it all about me and zero about the customer. I presented flashy things, with zero value. I thought my fancy features would sell themselves and clients would just come begging. How absolutely stupid I was.

Just something about that chapter in the audiobook brought everything together that had been discussed so far. I realized that while I "heard" everything to that point, listening wasn't the best way for me to learn from a book. I was listening while driving to and from work, I wasn't able to take notes. So that day, I ordered the paperback version of UnScripted also, in addition to The Millionaire Fastlane . I'm currently reading TMF before I re-read UnScripted . I had a long talk with myself about if all I was chasing was quick cash or if I was willing to do the work it takes to provide real value. I currently work a lot of miserable hours to make ends meet, and it doesn't leave a lot of time for me to work on anything else. I make it work anyway. I steal back 15 minutes here and 30 minutes there as often as I can when not on the clock. I stopped spending on stupid crap that does no good for me. I cut out other lifestyle expenses that kept my 'cost of living' high. I have figured out down to the exact dollar how much it would take for me to quit my job and gain a year of freedom to pursue entrepreneurship. UnScripted gave me the keys to my own mindset and allowed me to adjust it in order to break free.

I have no freaking clue what I'm going to do to provide the kind of value that ultimately grants me the type of freedom I'm longing after. I have no idea what the hell I'm actually doing. I don't know how I'm going to get to the point I can quit and never miss a family event again or have to tell my nieces and nephews I can't make it to the game. But I know it starts with Kinetic Execution and doing one actionable thing a day to move in that direction. I know that my kinetic execution has to be deliberate and not wasted movement. I have attacked learning other aspects of business daily, like learning to sell, learning to communicate with businesses in their talk. I'm currently doing the paperwork to start up a business again, this time focusing on the value a site and service from me can bring them, on how I can help them grow THEIR business so they can see a return in their investment. I know dang well it's a flooded market and that it's not going to get me to the MJ level of freedom I'm seeking. But I know this time I can provide more value than the guy next to me. I know it can be what buys me my first year of freedom and give me the experience and lessons needed to then move on to bigger and better things. I now know to get to that tier of freedom though, starts with daily kinetic execution.

If you stayed with me for this ramble, thank you. I look forward to engaging with everyone here and learning from your experiences. I appreciate you for reading about where I currently am. MJ, thank you for providing a blueprint to a truly UnScripted life.
It's time to get to work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Appreciate the intro and that the books helped you get some clarity.

As for getting started, the chapters on Value Skew in Unscripted is the best place to start. No need to reinvent the wheel!

Welcome Mr. Fitzgerald !

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...