The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help- Filtering search on a website by compatability

rsj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 23, 2016
Miami
So I am building a website and I want to add a feature that customers can pick out parts, but I want that when a part1 is chosen to filter the remaining parts based on compatibility with part1.

Example

Customer is building a computer based on parts

he picks an intel CPU

the motherboard get filtered for the CPU based on compatibility

Could you guys give me an idea on how I could achieve this, i just need a general idea because i have never done anything remotely similar. (ex. on a site that does something similar is pcpartpicker)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Michael Clark

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Aug 22, 2016
Scotland
You're probably better asking on a technical forum/stackoverflow. The answer also depends on what platform you're using - wordpress? drupal? If so you might want to have a look for plugins.

Otherwise, the way I'd do it would be via ajax calls to various server-side endpoints. e.g. a validation endpoint & parts endpoint

The validation endpoint would accept a number of parameters (i.e. graphics card, cpu, power supply etc) and it would work out whether or not those pc parts would work in a system.

You might also have a GET Gpu-Parts endpoint which would accept your current configuration parameters and return a list of gpu parts that would fit into your build.

You're client side code might have a nice JavaScript library that would allow a user filter down based on selections and populate a GPU parts list based off of the ajax call results. There are tonnes of JavaScript frameworks out there for filtering, here's one: http://luis-almeida.github.io/filtrify/block.html

rsj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 23, 2016
Miami
Thanks for the help, i am currently using wp and woocommerce, i haven't done much web dev, at my current job im building an erp system and i started programming less than a year ago so its gonna be a big learning curve for me. do you know of any plugins that do something similar i haven't been able to find any.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
you're looking for a Configuration tool. Google "Configure Price Quote" There are an absolute TON of products out there that do this ... from free to multi-million dollar engineering applications that can manage the design process for jet engines.

There are probably a few wordpress (and magento and shopify, etc) plugins that do this too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.