The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from San Luis Obispo

chrishobson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Nov 14, 2012
Hey all -

My name is Chris, and I'm new to Fastlaning.

A little bit about myself, I'm 33, college educated (almost completed an MBA before I decided I had no desire to do anything an MBA in Finance would help me with) and had worked for 12 years at a Dow 30 company with my final title being associate director before deciding I needed something different. I had always wanted to do something different, but the pay was always "too good" to give up when I barely had to do any actual work in exchange for $100k+/yr.

The final straw for me was an unasked for promotion and raise, and the "opportunity" to move to HQ in NJ for even more "opportunity". The prospect of being trapped in Basking Ridge for 10-12 hours a day was frightening, especially combined with the commute that would go with it. After deciding I was done with this job, I gave my notice, decided to move from Sacramento to San Luis Obispo (near the beach, new environment, and my brother lives here) after taking a month to meet my fiancee's extended family in the Philippines for a month. I've been job-free for 7 months now living off of savings, and it is beginning to get a bit boring actually since I can't literally do "whatever I want."

And I sold my 2009 e90 M3 three months ago. I want another 400+ hp car. Hence Fastlane.

I found the Fastlane forum about a month ago, and after reading a number of threads I decided to buy the book. I'm a little over halfway through, and it is amazingly motivating to me. I'd always talked about my ideas for things that could make money, but I never actually put in the work. Years of having a job where my goal was to do the minimal amount of work possible made me very work-averse.

Reading Fastlane has broke that habit. Just today I wrote out a project plan and user experience for an app that I wish I had, and I am planning on getting it up and running in 30 days. No reason it shouldn't happen within that time frame (assuming I can find a developer quickly). I think it has fastlane potential, since it targets a fairly large enthusiast market that could really use the functionality I am envisioning. It helps that it is a market I've been heavily involved with in the past, and in which I have a number of contacts.

I have also been slowly working with my fiancee on launching an apparel line for her to earn some money (she also has a standard slowlane job) and to have fun with creativity since she likes design and fashion.

I look forward to interacting with everyone on the forum and hearing your feedback on my future ideas.

Chris

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Interesting story...and interesting way to land in SLO. I lived in San Luis Obispo for over 3 years, and loved every minute of it. As you know, jobs are hard to find there. If you're into anything offroad, you know Poly Performance is there. Dave is a good friend of mine.

Anyways...good luck and happy to have you here! Finish the book, it's one of the best businesses/wealth books I've read and has completely changed my mindset on building real wealth and a real business.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I wrote out a project plan and user experience for an app that I wish I had, and I am planning on getting it up and running in 30 days.

Awesome -- anything great starts with the value proposition ... the fact you wish you had it, is a good start.

After deciding I was done with this job, I gave my notice, decided to move from Sacramento to San Luis Obispo

Curious, how is living in SLO? It seems to be a very nice "off the radar" kinda place to live -- PERFECT for Fastlaners with businesses that are online.

Welcome to the forum!!

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
MJ - you're right...quite a few online businesses in SLO or near SLO. Tenniswarehouse.com, PolyPerformance.com, iFixIt, etc...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

chrishobson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Nov 14, 2012
Thanks for the welcome!

I think SLO is a great place for an entrepreneur. I met with an entrepreneur meetup group last month (and again this coming Monday), and found out about some great resources in the area. Cal Poly has a program called the "Hot House" where they connect entrepreneurs with startup help and provide meeting areas and assistance. Really a great concept, and it has produced a few viable businesses.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...