The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from Russia

Tisunov

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 1, 2013
Russia
Hello everyone, I'm Paul

A professional software developer from Russia. Recently I lost my job and that is the best thing that happened to me in a long time. Because I do not have to rely on my salary to help me fund my dreams.

I started working as a freelancer on Rentacoder, modeled top coders and was 25th in top 100. Eventually I got a job offer from one of my clients and started working as a remote employee.

Over the years I tried several times to create and sell my own products. First one was RescueTime inspired desktop application for Windows. As a developer who loves his craft I fell into the trap of thinking that I'm going to strike on my own when in reality I was more interested in learning new technology and building my skill set. I built the app and quickly lost interest in it, without even trying to market it.

Next was real estate listings web site for small city around 900K people. Me and my partner decided to build it using our own guesses what real estate brokers need and subsequently failed to acquire any customers. Again my motivation was not fixing customer's pain, but stroking my own ego, by getting to use shiny new technology. Partly that happened because of my remote employee contract that paid me about $62000 a year after tax, which quite good sum to live on in Russia relative to cost of living and gave me a lot of comfort.

All this time I was feeling like a balloon tethered to the ground, trying to escape and always falling back to the comfort of steady paycheck.

I read TMF last summer had numerous aha moments and nodded my head all the way trough. Tried to find a pain but didn't persevere cause the draw of cushy paycheck was sabotaging all my attempts and I didn't give 100% of myself to the things I tried to start.

Thanks to MJ's book, and countless others that gave me direction I now know which road to take.

I joined the forum to be surrounded by the community of like minded people. I want to learn and grow in the right direction.

My plan is to build a business preferably SaaS web site that gives me income stream allowing the freedom of time, money and location to travel, move to the other country, and snowboard all over the globe. I have an uncle who owns auto repair shop, and will talk to him to find a pain. I remember he was asking me to build something several years ago, but I was too "successful" in my freelance carrier and I didn't pay attention.

I'm no stranger working hard, I just need to make it smart, putting in hours in low leverage activity is what got me where I'm now in the first place.

As a first step I decided to learn copywriting and test demand for the ideas I have before building anything. Also made a contract with my friend to port to iOS an app he built for Android and working on it right now.

I plan to do my best and correct the rest.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

whiteeclipse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
May 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
Hi, welcome. You seem driven, steady paychecks are good and safe always focus on your own business in your spare time unless you notice your business growing then forget the steady paychecks and just focus on your business.

I wish you success.

What city in Russia do you live in? and which country would you like to move to?

Tisunov

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 1, 2013
Russia

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Great post Paul,
I'm a web developer from Albania and your post pretty much describes me too.
I quit my job 3 months ago and currently earning 3-4 times more with adsense.
But adsense is temporary, so in the meantime I'm learning Android/Java and working on some side-projects.
Wish you all the best and keep us posted during the process, not only on the event - *MJ

:tiphat:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Zamechatelnii Angliskii Pasha!

Welcome, and I hope you move soon :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As a first step I decided to learn copywriting and test demand for the ideas I have before building anything.

Great idea ... is it possible you had great ideas already, but you just weren't any good at communicating or marketing the concept? You can build a great website but if you can't communicate the value prop effectively, you're in for a rough road. Glad to hear you are going to improve your copywriting.

Welcome aboard.

Tisunov

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 1, 2013
Russia
is it possible you had great ideas already, but you just weren't any good at communicating or marketing the concept?
That's the case, I now understand that I was much more interested in gaining new skills and getting to know new technology by building the product, and after it was built I quickly lost motivation. It was my own quirk, I admit it, and now ready to move past it.

Besides that I didn't like "selling" as a concept all this time. It helped to shift my perspective that selling is not persuading people to buy something they don't need, but communicating them the value product provides.

S

stranger

Hi Paul,
Seems no many Russian guys use this forum. I'm from the Ukraine. I make some money online, but I've not been on my fastlane way yet.
Good luck to you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...