The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from Atlanta, Goergia! (Beware, long post)

GreenBricks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 4, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Introduction

Hello present and future Fastlaners! My name is Alex. I’m a 21-year-old from a country town in the mountains of North Georgia, about an hour drive from Atlanta. Although this is only my 5th post I’ve been lurking around this forum for a few months and I figured an introduction is overdue.

My Backstory

I’m going to start with the bad, and move on to the good so please bear with me. I will be describing what I think caused my life to turn out how it did, and what I am doing to correct that course.

Growing up, I was the kid everyone relentlessly picked on. It started around 5[SUP]th[/SUP] grade, and because of this, I developed terrible social anxiety. I had a difficult time making friends, and found refuge in video games. Consequently, I stopped doing my homework which caused my grades to slip. I turned from a kid who loved reading and learning to a video-game addict.

I did eventually make my first friend in 8[SUP]th[/SUP] grade who shared a similar interest in video games. We gamed all day, every day, and that is no exaggeration. He was one of the popular kids, and actually put a stop to much of the daily bullying I received. Around our sophomore year of high school he found a girlfriend and we grew apart. He recently passed in a motorcycle accident, but I will always appreciate and remember him for what a good friend he was during that rough time in my life.

I found a new group of friends, got into drugs, and became a stoner. I never really got over my social anxiety, so I still had trouble talking to people outside my social circle.

Skip a few years, and I’m 19 years old and life sucks. In high school I was so worried about what people thought about me, always trying to fit in. Up to that point, I thought I already knew how my life was going to turn out, and it wasn’t going to be good. Something inside me changed though, and I decided that my past would not determine how my life would be. I realized my actions played a huge part in how my life had turned out. I decided to change.

I dropped my drug friends. I quit smoking cigarettes and marijuana. I started going to the gym. I stopped playing video games. Most of all, I wanted to get over my social anxiety. I thought that would be the best first step to starting my new life.

I decided the best way to get over it was to get a job as a waiter, where I was forced to talk to lots of people I didn’t know every time I worked. It was terrifying at first, but it helped tremendously.

Skip to present day and I feel completely comfortable in my own skin. People actually describe me as a social butterfly. I have a wonderful group of friends. Before, women never even looked my way. Today a relationship is the last thing on my mind. Best of all, I found a renewed love in reading and learning everything I possibly could. For the first time in my life (for the past couple years at least) I feel genuinely happy.

The Beginning of my Fastlane Journey

I originally discovered MJ’s book and subsequently this forum when it was recommended in a blog post from one of my favorite bloggers, Victor Pride. He runs a no bull-shit blog called Bold and Determined that I would highly recommend checking out. He has such a way with words that I always get fired up.

Even before discovering TMF I knew the only way I could lead the life I wanted was to start my own business. It became an obsession of mine and has been the one thing I think about most of the time. I am always trying to look out for opportunities, but I think this is one of the things I need training most in. I have all the drive but it’s like I can’t seem to find something worth pursuing.

I’ve recently come to the conclusion that I need to start something, regardless of whether it is going to be my Fastlane Vehicle or not. Better to start learning the essentials of business now so that I am that much more prepared when it finally clicks. I’ll call it my Learning Vehicle.

What I have decided upon is an affiliate website made to easily compare the features and ratings of a huge variety of different gaming headsets. Being an ex-hardcore gamer, I know there is a huge market for gaming accessories. In highly competitive games, many players are willing to drop large amounts of money on anything that can give them an edge against the competition.

Since gaming headsets can cost a pretty penny, the idea is to create a website to compare the features, price, advantages and disadvantages, and user ratings of the different headset options. By putting all of that info in a well-organized, easy-to-use location, I think it will help people make the best decision possible, and get the biggest bang for their buck.

I am choosing this route for a variety of reasons. Although it certainly isn’t fastlane, it can teach me an assortment of different useful skills. Something I feel I lack in is my writing ability. I will learn professional copywriting. I will learn the ins-and-outs of managing a website. Even if I don’t become a professional web designer, it is knowledge that will certainly help should I ever need to hire one. Best of all, for the first time in my life I will have made money on my own, outside of trading time for money. I imagine that will be a wonderful feeling.

Why do I want the Fastlane?

I want to provide something of value to the world. I want to differentiate myself from the average person. Most of all, I want freedom. I want to be able to travel where I want, and do what I want while I’m still young, and without needing permission. I want to provide a spectacular life for any future wife and children. I want to get my pilot’s license and fly down to the keys if that's what I feel like doing at that moment.:driving:

The money itself doesn’t matter, but the freedom does.

I know this was a very long post, and if you read through it entirely I applaud you. Thank you for taking the time to finish. I am open to discuss anything with anyone so feel free to message me or post here with whatever you like.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Wow, it sounds like you really turned your life around and are heading in a much more positive direction. Bravo!

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Hello, it's nice to see another member from Georgia :) We've got quite a few!!

Congratulations on getting your life back on track - it's tough, but you are smart for figuring this out sooner than later.

Looking forward to following your website.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks for posting this! Plenty of 21 year-olds are in the same boat as you are in this forum. Looking forward to watching you progress. Glad we both managed to pick up this book earlier in life.

botnickguy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 20, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
Nice to meet you! It's always a good time to get started Alex, and I really look forward to hearing about what you get done. The gaming industry is a very intense, and dedicated industry and would love to see how you work the demographic, hopefully you enjoy yourself too. I wish you luck, and a good journey!

Introduction

Hello present and future Fastlaners! My name is Alex. I’m a 21-year-old from a country town in the mountains of North Georgia, about an hour drive from Atlanta. Although this is only my 5th post I’ve been lurking around this forum for a few months and I figured an introduction is overdue.

My Backstory

I’m going to start with the bad, and move on to the good so please bear with me. I will be describing what I think caused my life to turn out how it did, and what I am doing to correct that course.

Growing up, I was the kid everyone relentlessly picked on. It started around 5[SUP]th[/SUP] grade, and because of this, I developed terrible social anxiety. I had a difficult time making friends, and found refuge in video games. Consequently, I stopped doing my homework which caused my grades to slip. I turned from a kid who loved reading and learning to a video-game addict.

I did eventually make my first friend in 8[SUP]th[/SUP] grade who shared a similar interest in video games. We gamed all day, every day, and that is no exaggeration. He was one of the popular kids, and actually put a stop to much of the daily bullying I received. Around our sophomore year of high school he found a girlfriend and we grew apart. He recently passed in a motorcycle accident, but I will always appreciate and remember him for what a good friend he was during that rough time in my life.

I found a new group of friends, got into drugs, and became a stoner. I never really got over my social anxiety, so I still had trouble talking to people outside my social circle.

Skip a few years, and I’m 19 years old and life sucks. In high school I was so worried about what people thought about me, always trying to fit in. Up to that point, I thought I already knew how my life was going to turn out, and it wasn’t going to be good. Something inside me changed though, and I decided that my past would not determine how my life would be. I realized my actions played a huge part in how my life had turned out. I decided to change.

I dropped my drug friends. I quit smoking cigarettes and marijuana. I started going to the gym. I stopped playing video games. Most of all, I wanted to get over my social anxiety. I thought that would be the best first step to starting my new life.

I decided the best way to get over it was to get a job as a waiter, where I was forced to talk to lots of people I didn’t know every time I worked. It was terrifying at first, but it helped tremendously.

Skip to present day and I feel completely comfortable in my own skin. People actually describe me as a social butterfly. I have a wonderful group of friends. Before, women never even looked my way. Today a relationship is the last thing on my mind. Best of all, I found a renewed love in reading and learning everything I possibly could. For the first time in my life (for the past couple years at least) I feel genuinely happy.

The Beginning of my Fastlane Journey

I originally discovered MJ’s book and subsequently this forum when it was recommended in a blog post from one of my favorite bloggers, Victor Pride. He runs a no bull-shit blog called Bold and Determined that I would highly recommend checking out. He has such a way with words that I always get fired up.

Even before discovering TMF I knew the only way I could lead the life I wanted was to start my own business. It became an obsession of mine and has been the one thing I think about most of the time. I am always trying to look out for opportunities, but I think this is one of the things I need training most in. I have all the drive but it’s like I can’t seem to find something worth pursuing.

I’ve recently come to the conclusion that I need to start something, regardless of whether it is going to be my Fastlane Vehicle or not. Better to start learning the essentials of business now so that I am that much more prepared when it finally clicks. I’ll call it my Learning Vehicle.

What I have decided upon is an affiliate website made to easily compare the features and ratings of a huge variety of different gaming headsets. Being an ex-hardcore gamer, I know there is a huge market for gaming accessories. In highly competitive games, many players are willing to drop large amounts of money on anything that can give them an edge against the competition.

Since gaming headsets can cost a pretty penny, the idea is to create a website to compare the features, price, advantages and disadvantages, and user ratings of the different headset options. By putting all of that info in a well-organized, easy-to-use location, I think it will help people make the best decision possible, and get the biggest bang for their buck.

I am choosing this route for a variety of reasons. Although it certainly isn’t fastlane, it can teach me an assortment of different useful skills. Something I feel I lack in is my writing ability. I will learn professional copywriting. I will learn the ins-and-outs of managing a website. Even if I don’t become a professional web designer, it is knowledge that will certainly help should I ever need to hire one. Best of all, for the first time in my life I will have made money on my own, outside of trading time for money. I imagine that will be a wonderful feeling.

Why do I want the Fastlane?

I want to provide something of value to the world. I want to differentiate myself from the average person. Most of all, I want freedom. I want to be able to travel where I want, and do what I want while I’m still young, and without needing permission. I want to provide a spectacular life for any future wife and children. I want to get my pilot’s license and fly down to the keys if that's what I feel like doing at that moment.:driving:

The money itself doesn’t matter, but the freedom does.

I know this was a very long post, and if you read through it entirely I applaud you. Thank you for taking the time to finish. I am open to discuss anything with anyone so feel free to message me or post here with whatever you like.

GreenBricks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 4, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Thanks everyone for the kind replies. :D The positivity in this community is great!

Since I'm new to the whole thing I can't give an accurate time-frame on when I expect to have a functioning website up and running. When I do I will make a progress thread for anyone to check out if they like. It keeps me motivated and if anyone learns anything from it in the process that's always a plus as well.

hotshot

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 24, 2012
Ontario
I come from a similar situation and got away from a lot of negative influences not too long ago. Affiliate marketing has a bad rep around here for not being fastlane, but you can definitely learn discipline and make good money in the process. Bold and Determined is an excellent blog!!! Victor puts out awesome content. I'm rooting for you buddy!

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
Welcome to the forum! I'm with you man on getting the pilot's license and flying down to the keys. That's one of my dreams as well. Let's try to make this happen so we can both fly down in our private planes and fly down to the keys!

GreenBricks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 4, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I went on vacation with a few friends down to Orlando for a week. It was MUCH needed and only made me want success that much more so I can do things like that more often.

Anyways, I'm from the Canton area if you know where that is. If not, it's in Cherokee county off of highway 575.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...