• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

INTRO Hello from a Tropical Island

Discussion in 'Forum Introductions (Who are you!?)' started by Paladin, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Paladin

Paladin Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,160
    Hey guys, my name is Jonathan and I'm really excited to be here.

I only recently heard about this forum from two of my mastermind members and am excited to find a place where people are on a similar journey and can share their experiences.

I live on a small tropical island in Southeast Asia.

My online journey started way back in 2010 and now I make a fulltime living from my books, digital products and blog.

This summer I leased an entire hostel for 10% more than we were renting our last apartment. We have this for ten years and we have already hit 2.5x on what the previous owners claimed the place was making. Our goal is to hit 10x in the next six months.

Very few people on my island are online entrepreneurs, so most of them think that the physical building is the asset. In reality, the business is all digital. It's about the website, the traffic and the targeted ads we use to keep the place full. In ten years, my wife and I may decide we want to move on to something else, but in the meantime she has a business to run while I continue to build things online.

I'm excited to find other people to share similar stories with and find ways to help each other grow. I'm in the middle of growing two businesses at once and sometimes it gets a little lonely around here. The guests all come and go and very few people here really understand the idea of building a business or leaving wealth behind for your kids. Yes, I have three kids and I'm hoping for loads more. ;)

I am excited to see other people who are further up the mountain and a few who are a little behind me that I can share some nuggets of wisdom with.

I'm ready for life in the fastlane.

2. lowtek

lowtek Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $23,948
    Welcome to the forum! Glad to see you're already in motion and making bank. Here's to your continued success.

3. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $356,969
    Admin Post
    Welcome aboard my friend.

Pics! Pics! Pics!

4. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,012
  5. Jeff Noel

Jeff Noel Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,511
    Welcome to the forum Paladin !

6. NicholasCato

NicholasCato Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $153
    Living on a tropical island with two successful businesses and a beautiful family? I'd say you're already living the dream to most lol!

Welcome to the forums!

Hadrian and Lionhearted like this.
  7. Xeon

Xeon All Cars Kneel Before Pagani. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,925
    The tropical island is likely to be Singapore and it looks nothing like what Abundant Man posted :rofl:

8. Tommo

Tommo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,251
    Wecome to the forum. If you are on Krabbi, I am at koh lanta for a week. Let me know if we are close enough to catch up. Cheers
    Tommo.
    PS Your plan is great, looked at similar idea in New Zealand couple of years ago re leasing motels/hotels, figures weren't good at the time.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Tammyanne likes this.
  9. Get Right

Get Right Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $31,366
    I think we might be learning from you!

Welcome to the forum!

10. Paladin

Rep Bank:
    $3,160
    Thanks for the love. I'll try to figure out my avatar so I'm not a grey man anymore.

11. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,174
    What they showed in the movie "Rich Crazy Asians" of Singapore was stunning and breathtaking. I never imagined Singapore was that ultra-modern and beautiful. I'll take it any day of the week!

12. Private Witt

Private Witt Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,828
    Congrat on your success! I used to work out of hostels a lot when working on a travel guide for Colombia. I always wondered if I would want to own one, a lot of work Im sure!

Lionhearted and Xeon like this.
  13. JasonR

JasonR Maverick Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $70,786
    @Paladin - what part of Asia are you in? Excited to hear more about your story and business.

I'm currently in Bali and usually travel a lot although now I'm splitting my time between the States and Asia.

For the rest, there are thousands of tropical islands in Southeast Asia, and many that are insanely beautiful (albeit usually hot).

Lionhearted likes this.
  14. Paladin

Rep Bank:
    $3,160
    Hey guys thanks for the awesome replies. Here is a picture one of our guests recently took of the island.

Cloud9SiargaoAerialShot.jpg

The island is called Siargao and it's in the Philippines. It's exploding right now and the tourists are flooding the beaches. It's a great time for us to be in the tourism space for sure.

Our hostel is constantly overbooked as guests want to keep extending their stays even if it means they sleep in the common areas on a couch or in a hammock. I'm really excited to have a business my wife can run while I continue to build my own business.

We took over on July 1 and are currently at 3x the monthly of the previous owners. I want to hit that 10x by next July, so we still have a bit more work to do. We are currently on track with our plan, so I'm excited and of course, if anyone here wants a place to visit you're always welcome ;)

15. Ivan M.

Ivan M. Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $870
    Welcome to the forum Paladin. Welcome to the beginning of your success!!

16. Paladin

Rep Bank:
    $3,160
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I've started a progress thread about the hostel in the insider's section. I'll still followup on this thread of course! ;)

Here are some more pictures of our place and the island:

This is my office
    SiargaoFootprintsNirvanaDayMode.JPG

Here is my dog:
    SiargaoFootprintsCerberusTheSurfDogLifeJacket.JPG

This is the hangout and yoga area:
    ActionCameraChilloutYoga2.jpg

Sunset from a boat:
    SiargaoFootprintsBoatTripSunset.JPG

This is the island in front of my house that I paddleboard to. Everyone else takes boats, but I like to earn it.
    SiargaoFootprintsGoyumIsland1.JPG

FastNAwesome, Ivan M., Xeon and 3 others like this.
  17. Lionhearted

Lionhearted Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,555
    I would say your are a man of GREAT wealth at this moment (though I am totally supportive on you building it higher). BTW I see wealth as a measure of your entire life and happiness. You have a wife and children that are a complement to your life. You live in paradise. You add value to the world every day. You have multiple revenue streams. I like that you lease the property which gives you a much easier exit strategy if you ever decide depart from the venture. You are certainly an inspiration to others.
    Do you plan to scale this business? If so how? Do you have a future exit strategy?
    Thank you for sharing your journey with us. All the best!

Xeon likes this.
  18. Hadrian

Hadrian Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $186
    I love This Thread! Reminds me of the four hour work week.. the book that started my evolution into Entrepreneurship! :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  19. Paladin

Rep Bank:
    $3,160
    Thanks for the kind words and this is a great question.

A hostel is controlled by the physical. We only have so much space between our walls. Once we complete turning the last room from a couple's room into another dorm, we'll have maxed out.

We have looked at leasing other buildings near us, but the landlords are sketchy and won't sign contracts.

The only way to get bigger is to buy land and build something. I'm not really into that right now.

The main goal is to build up a saving's account over the next ten years so that my wife and kids never have to worry about money ever again.

In ten years, the propery will rever back to the current owners unless we do another contract. I think running a hostel for a decade is enough. I'm way too old to hang out with twenty-year-olds. I already did that and had a BLAST. But now I'm on to the next adventure.

We may decide we love this industry and start again somewhere else, but I don't know where I'll be in a decade.

This business is mostly about freedom, lifestyle and security for my family. Now that they have this new layer of security, my life is a lot easier.

Xeon, Sheens, Hadrian and 1 other person like this.
  20. Lionhearted

Lionhearted Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,555
    You mention "books, digital products and blog." They are obviously part of the mix. Can you link us to those? I am interested in what got this party started. Also can you expand on the "Mastermind" group? And NO, I am in NO WAY affiliated with Paladin. LOL Thanks again

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  21. Paladin

Rep Bank:
    $3,160
    My site and my brand are called Serve No Master. I share more stores in the Insiders section of my process and progress.

Xeon and Lionhearted like this.
  22. Lionhearted

Rep Bank:
    $3,555
    Impressive! Thanks.

23. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,968
    Welcome, @Paladin

Fun Fact: They filmed MOST of the scenes in MALAYSIA
    Crazy Rich Asians: 7 Locations In Malaysia You May Recognise In The Film

TLDR: They chose the nice hotels in Kuala Lumpur, and great beach places in Langkawi and Penang.

SAYS

Apparently the author can't come into Singapore because he's avoiding their military draft. Hopefully it wasn't a big issue that forced the filmmakers to make the move to film somewhere else that looked similar.

Xeon and Hadrian like this.
  24. Thomas Baptiste

Thomas Baptiste Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $543
    I'm also on a tropical island, but located in the caribbean. Nice to see we're on opposite sides of the world working towards similar goals. Nice!

25. Paladin

Rep Bank:
    $3,160
    Glad to see I'm not the only islander on here. Even when you have a bad day, it's not that bad here ;)

Lionhearted and Xeon like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.