The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

heavy_industry - Health Improvement Q1 Progress

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
For the sake of simplicity and focus, I decided to change the direction of this thread and only use it for documenting my health improvement protocol. I will ask Andy to move the thread to the appropriate section.

My business and academic goals will be recorded in a different journal, most likely on paper.

I would like to once again emphasize that keeping track of my progress has been a complete game changer. It made me a lot more aware of my shortcomings, and improved my clarity and long-term planning abilities.

Doing an objective weekly analysis of how things are going enables you to adjust your strategy to reach the end goal. If I am on the path to failure, I would like to know that every single week, not at the end of the year.

Time is too precious and needs to be used very wisely.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Except for today where I had like 4 cups - but that doesn't matter. The trajectory is clearly positive and I like how things are going.
I have found that when I'm mostly consistent in minimizing my caffeine intake, a day here and there of splurging isn't enough to get me re-addicted, so it's much easier to bounce back.

I got plenty of things done.
Great!

Things have started to move in the right direction and I've never been happier. I will elaborate more on this at the end of the final week.
Can't wait to hear all about it!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Week 8/ 9 finished.

Overview:

• Squat: DELOAD
  • Diet compliance: 4 days
  • Full days of fasting: 0
  • Daily coffee intake: 2-4 tsp

Comments:

Went a bit overboard with the coffee, but I will not be discouraged by this setback.
At this rate, caffeine will still be part of the show at the beginning of Q2. This is not ideal, but as long as I keep lowering the dose it will eventually hit 0.

Every single day, the same excuse comes up: "let's drink 1 more coffee to get more work done"

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Every single day, the same excuse comes up: "let's drink 1 more coffee to get more work done"
You're on your way. Recognising the habits that need to be attacked is half the battle.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Week 9/ 9 finished.

Overview:

• Squat: 85kg / 187lbs
  • Daily coffee intake: ~4 tsp / day

The final update!

Initial goals:

• Squat 100kg / 220lbs for multiple reps
  • Drop body fat percentage below 10%
  • Remove caffeine

Results:
  • Squat: 60kg / 132lbs -> 85kg / 187lbs
  • Body fat percentage: ~15% -> ~13%
  • Caffeine intake: infinity -> 4tsp / day
  • Diet compliance: 69.8% (44/63 days)
  • Full days of fasting: 4 days - absolutely ridiculous

If I were to be very critical of myself I would say that I have failed all the goals and did not reach the target milestones.

But a more realistic view of Q1 would be that:
  • I am the strongest that I've ever been.
  • I improved my physique significantly.
  • I reduced my caffeine intake by more than 50%.
  • I improved my health a lot, except for the last week which has been a lot more stressful than usual.

But above all, tracking the progress of Q1 has given me an enormous amount of mental clarity. And it has shown me the true power of the process-oriented thinking. Almost anything you can imagine can be achieved by a gradual process executed consistently.

When the year started, I had 10 different goals and did not know which one to pursue first. I did not have my priorities in order. Now after trying to follow a disciplined routine in Q1, the path ahead is more clear than ever. I know exactly what to do in 2023, and how to do it.

I am glad that now I can see very clearly why I have not been getting the results that I sought. My actions were not proportional to the vision that I have for myself.

Exceptional results require exceptional actions.
You cannot trick God. He will give you exactly what you deserve.

The universe is not going to break its deterministic laws in order for you to achieve your stupid goals. It's you that needs to make the necessary adjustments.

A huge thank you for everyone that has read or participated in this thread. I hope that this has been a learning experience for everyone.

Q2 will begin in 1-2 weeks, after I will set very clear goals for it. @Mikkel

I may have lost the battle for Q1. But I will win the war.

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 4, 2019
Week 9/ 9 finished.

Overview:

The final update!

Initial goals:

Results:

If I were to be very critical of myself I would say that I have failed all the goals and did not reach the target milestones.

• I improved my health a lot, except for the last week which has been a lot more stressful than usual.

But above all, tracking the progress of Q1 has given me an enormous amount of mental clarity. And it has shown me the true power of the process-oriented thinking. Almost anything you can imagine can be achieved by a gradual process executed consistently.

When the year started, I had 10 different goals and did not know which one to pursue first. I did not have my priorities in order. Now after trying to follow a disciplined routine in Q1, the path ahead is more clear than ever. I know exactly what to do in 2023, and how to do it.

I am glad that now I can see very clearly why I have not been getting the results that I sought. My actions were not proportional to the vision that I have for myself.

The universe is not going to break its deterministic laws in order for you to achieve your stupid goals. It's you that needs to make the necessary adjustments.

A huge thank you for everyone that has read or participated in this thread. I hope that this has been a learning experience for everyone.

Dropping 5% bodyfat and adding 100 lbs. to your squat in the same timeframe makes things a lot more challenging.
Looks like you made significant progress though, and building muscle/strength is a long game.

What were your fasting goals? How many days out of 9 weeks were you aiming to do a full day fast?

Also, out of curiosity how do you measure your bodyfat? Do you use calipers?
I was thinking about getting some calipers from Amazon just to help gauge progress. I know the method isn't super accurate, but as long as they're consistently inaccurate I'm thinking it would serve its purpose.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Week 9/ 9 finished.

Overview:

The final update!

Initial goals:

Results:

It sounds like you're thriving! Glad to hear it :) Keep that fire going!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
What were your fasting goals? How many days out of 9 weeks were you aiming to do a full day fast?
At least 1 day per week, which would have resulted in 9 days of total fasting.

Also, out of curiosity how do you measure your bodyfat?
Purely visual estimation. There is no reliable way of measuring it, that doesn't involve you being in a lab.
The scale/mirror are going to tell you everything you need to know about your progress.

Apparently I've lost 6-8 pounds of body weight in Q1, in spite of the fact that I've gotten significantly stronger (40% increase in squat weight) and slightly more muscular. This recomp wouldn't have been possible if I wasn't on a high protein / high fat diet.

It sounds like you're thriving! Glad to hear it :) Keep that fire going!
Thank you @REV5028 :love:

I'll do my best!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Are you a bodybuilder?

You really shouldn't put your fat so low, the brain especially needs fats, fat helps give your body energy, protects your organs, supports cell growth, keeps cholesterol and blood pressure under control, and helps your body absorb vital nutrients.

15% is absolutely fine for a male, maybe even a bit more.

Glad to see you're progressing.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Are you a bodybuilder?
Not professionally, which means that I don't get paid for training.
But I am looking forward to becoming an elite level athlete. My long term health is one of the top priorities in life, as I've learned that this will enable me to accomplish every other goal that I have.

You really shouldn't put your fat so low, the brain especially needs fats
You're right that fat is a metabolically active organ which is very important for a lot of physiological processes.

However excess adiposity is both the cause and effect of poor health outcomes.

The ideal body fat percentage varies from one person to another. Somewhere between 8% and 15% for healthy males. I am not trying to artificially go below the healthy threshold.

Instead, I want to see what is the fat % level at which the body naturally sets itself to, when I follow a proper diet which is devoid of modern day "food", and very low on exogenous carbohydrates, which derail the entire metabolic system.

If I were to guess, optimal health occurs at the leaner side on this spectrum.
You can look in nature at almost any animal that is not trying to get fat for the winter, and you will see that their body % percentage is very low, they are extremely lean (e.g. tiger, deer, elk, horse).

I am very interested in @PureA 's opinion on this.

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Mar 27, 2023
and very low on exogenous carbohydrates, which derail the entire metabolic system.
As a type 1 diabetic, I must say this is one of the most underrated things someone can do to improve their overall health. Carbs are important as a source of energy but too many carbs in a day will make you sluggish. Your body regulates insulin for you but mine doesn't. Healthy blood sugar range is around 70-100 mg/dl and if you don't have diabetes that's where you're usually at, but if you eat over ~60g of carbs in one sitting (it depends on whether it's simple or complex sugars, complex sugars take more to digest) you will spike your insulin levels to account for it. On a macro level I strive for under 120g of carbs per day, and my energy levels have never been better. Do not take this into account as carbs = fat gain though, carbs = water weight, which is different. Alas, the modern diet is extremely unhealthy and has a dangerous imbalance of bad cholesterol, huge amounts of carbs, little to no protein, and estrogenic products. Oh, and congrats on your journey! You didn't hit all of your goals like you wanted to, but purpose will drive you towards them, keep at it.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Carbs are important as a source of energy but too many carbs in a day will make you sluggish.
Without carbohydrates you die.
Glucose is one of the most important molecules in the human body.

But the body is more than capable of producing its own glucose through the process of gluconeogenesis. Which means that the required dietary intake of carbohydrates is 0.
How many carbs can you eat without derailing your metabolism will depend from one person to another. But I would say that in most cases, it's safer to be on the lower end of the spectrum (i.e. fewer carbs in the diet).

As a type 1 diabetic
I am sorry that you have to endure this.
Your own immune system has turned against you and has fried your pancreas. You need to use exogenous insulin to replicate its function.

The good news is that:
1. Modern day medicine enables you to live a normal and happy life. Do not let this ailment stand in your way. Do everything you want to do and be everything that you want to be.
2. There is a chance that we will find the cure for Type 1 Diabetes during our lifetimes. There is some interesting research going on on autophagy. Buckle up, science will prevail.

Please be very careful with any dietary interventions you may choose to do in the future.
Insulin is a very important hormone whose role is not yet fully understood. Its physiological effects extend far beyond the downregulation of glucose levels of the body. For example, it also has a very important regulatory effect on the ketone bodies produced during the fat metabolism.

Always be extremely educated on this matter.
Always monitor all the relevant health markers.
Always seek professional medical advice and supervision.

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Mar 27, 2023
Without carbohydrates you die.
Glucose is one of the most important molecules in the human body.

But the body is more than capable of producing its own glucose through the process of gluconeogenesis. Which means that the required dietary intake of carbohydrates is 0.
How many carbs can you eat without derailing your metabolism will depend from one person to another. But I would say that in most cases, it's safer to be on the lower end of the spectrum (i.e. fewer carbs in the diet).
Don't take my word for gospel, but I don't think gluconeogenesis is a completely viable long term solution. It works when the body is starved of carbohydrates for a while, but afaik it works by breaking down proteins, which at an extreme level could mean muscle loss. How has it worked for you so far?
I am sorry that you have to endure this.
Your own immune system has turned against you and has fried your pancreas. You need to use exogenous insulin to replicate its function.

The good news is that:
1. Modern day medicine enables you to live a normal and happy life. Do not let this ailment stand in your way. Do everything you want to do and be everything that you want to be.
It's quite alright, really. I've been dealing with it for years now and there's no need for pity. I'm fortunate enough to have an insulin pump and a blood sugar sensor, so I'm in a much better place than most in that aspect.
2. There is a chance that we will find the cure for Type 1 Diabetes during our lifetimes. There is some interesting research going on on autophagy. Buckle up, science will prevail.
Yes! I've participated in some talks with some of the industry leaders in my country, specifically companies like Medtronic (I have represented the diabetic community in my country on certain occasions) and the advancement is brilliant. I've not much to say about it though, as most of the prototypes are still in very early states of experimentation.
Please be very careful with any dietary interventions you may choose to do in the future.
Insulin is a very important hormone whose role is not yet fully understood. Its physiological effects extend far beyond the downregulation of glucose levels of the body. For example, it also has a very important regulatory effect on the ketone bodies produced during the fat metabolism.

Always be extremely educated on this matter.
Always monitor all the relevant health markers.
Always seek professional medical advice and supervision.
I have the privilege of having a nutritionist that I ask whenever I make a change to my diet. It's an added challenge besides my own fitness journey, but "No tree becomes rooted and sturdy unless many a wind assails it. For by its very tossing it tightens its grip and plants its roots more securely; the fragile trees are those that have grown in a sunny valley." - Seneca.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
I am very interested in @PureA 's opinion on this.

12%-15% is prime for most males imo. >15% is unnecessarily 'fluffy'.

I would say it's almost impossible to get 'too lean' by accident, your body will be firing intense hunger signals 24/7 before you get anywhere close. Even if a dude is at 10% 200lbs he still has 20lbs of body fat (70,000 calories of pure fat to use).

It's a non concern for me.

@heavy_industry When you fail diet compliance, what happens? Eating out? Late night cookies?

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Don't take my word for gospel, but I don't think gluconeogenesis is a completely viable long term solution.
It depends entirely on the health of the individual.
Some people can become fully adapted to the fat metabolism, while others cannot. The idea is that the body knows exactly what to do. You cannot surpass 3.5 billion years of natural evolutionary intelligence.

How has it worked for you so far?
Got leaner and stronger.
I will be able to draw the final conclusion after a few months of perfect adherence to the diet, as well as fasting.

@heavy_industry When you fail diet compliance, what happens? Eating out? Late night cookies?
I am addicted to pudding. :love:

Just one cheat meal is enough for me to say that the day doesn't count, even if all the other meals were 100% on point.

Not sure if it's the milk, the small amount of sugar, or the corn starch, but every single time I had pudding at night I woke up tired, inflamed, and a little depressed lol.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Not sure if it's the milk, the small amount of sugar, or the corn starch, but every single time I had pudding at night I woke up tired, inflamed, and a little depressed lol.

Can I intro you to blueberries and heavy cream..? Scratch the pudding itch and stay on course.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Can I intro you to blueberries and heavy cream..? Scratch the pudding itch and stay on course.
Amazing idea, thanks.

I'll design a better "cheat meal" for Q2.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Although your diet may have been imperfect and you're still consuming caffeine, you still lost bodyfat and improved your barbell squat significantly. That's a success.

Not sure if it's already been suggested, but have you considered decaf?

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016

What do you mean by waking up inflamed?

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Not sure if it's already been suggested, but have you considered decaf?
I'm not addicted to coffee, but rather the caffeine.
Going decaf has been the goal, which has been achieved by 50%.

What do you mean by waking up inflamed?
A cluster of symptoms including:
  • puffy face
  • abdominal bloating
  • tiredness
  • brain fog
  • mild depression that goes away after a few hours

I'm clearly allergic to one or more of the ingredients in the pudding.
@PureA 's idea was really great: find a better cheat meal that doesn't steer you off the path.

In the future I would like to make a comprehensive experiment where I eat massive amounts of potentially inflammatory foods (milk, eggs, gluten etc.) and write down exactly how I feel after the meal, and the next morning. This way I will figure out what is the best diet and what foods I need to avoid.

We are all very different in our biochemistry. A diet that might be optimal for someone, could be very detrimental for another. That's why I'm not preaching any specific diet. I think that everybody needs to experiment and make their own decisions.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

I'm not addicted to coffee, but rather the caffeine.
Going decaf has been the goal, which has been achieved by 50%.
Dump all of your caffeinated coffee in the trash. Caffeine is a drug. You wouldn't keep heroin around a recovering addict; your rehabilitation is the same.

In the future I would like to make a comprehensive experiment where I eat massive amounts of potentially inflammatory foods (milk, eggs, gluten etc.) and write down exactly how I feel after the meal, and the next morning. This way I will figure out what is the best diet and what foods I need to avoid.
There's no need to undergo this alone. You can go to your local hospital and request a food sensitivity test.

They'll give you a comprehensive list of the foods that cause health related distress for you. Plus it'd be more accurate than your own experimentation.

Last edited by a moderator:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Dump all of your caffeinated coffee in the trash. Caffeine is a drug. You wouldn't keep heroin around a recovering addict; your rehabilitation is the same.
This has already been discussed on the thread at length. I will stick to my methodology.

There's no need to undergo this alone. You can go to your local hospital and request a food sensitivity test.
This is also something that I am looking forward to doing in the future, complementary to the food experiment.

Plus it'd likely be more accurate than your own experimentation.
Nothing is more accurate than your own body's signaling. If you have enough self awareness, you will know exactly which foods are causing you harm.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Nothing is more accurate than your own body's signaling. If you have enough self awareness, you will know exactly which foods are causing you harm. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
Considering that the food sensitivity test is through a blood sample, it would be significantly more accurate than your own experimentation.

But alright. You do you. This is your battle.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I am addicted to pudding. :love:
Mmmm, pudding.
If you like chocolate pudding... Here's one of my favorite chocolate pudding recipes:

Blend all of these together using a food processor:
2 very ripe avocados
1/2 cup cocoa powder
100g dark chocolate, melted*
1/2 cup maple syrup**
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dairy free milk of choice***
pinch of salt

* I've found that if the temperature of the melted chocolate is too much warmer than the rest of the ingredients the texture comes out a little grainy.
** You can use whatever sweetener you want, possibly even leave it out, I haven't tried that yet.
*** I use almond milk, but I'm sure any kind of dairy or dairy-free milk will work.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Mmmm, pudding.
If you like chocolate pudding... Here's one of my favorite chocolate pudding recipes:

Blend all of these together using a food processor:
2 very ripe avocados
1/2 cup cocoa powder
100g dark chocolate, melted*
1/2 cup maple syrup**
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dairy free milk of choice***
pinch of salt

* I've found that if the temperature of the melted chocolate is too much warmer than the rest of the ingredients the texture comes out a little grainy.
** You can use whatever sweetener you want, possibly even leave it out, I haven't tried that yet.
*** I use almond milk, but I'm sure any kind of dairy or dairy-free milk will work.
Thanks @REV5028 , I appreciate it! :rofl:

I was trying to stop eating pudding, but your recipe sounds so awesome that I will have to try it.

The next time I feel like today is THE PUDDING DAY, I promise that I will try your recipe, but will 10x the ingredients, make 1 gallon of pudding, and dive head first into it.

Will send you pictures. :playful:

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Thanks @REV5028 , I appreciate it! :rofl:

I was trying to stop eating pudding, but your recipe sounds so awesome that I will have to try it.

The next time I feel like today is THE PUDDING DAY, I promise that I will try your recipe, but will 10x the ingredients, make 1 gallon of pudding and dive head first into it.

Will send you pictures. :playful:
lol sorry :happy:

I just thought that this homemade recipe would be healthier than the processed stuff at the store; maybe it will agree better with your body? I'm rooting for a win-win! - For your soul and your body to be happy!

I find it delicious, and you'd never know there were avocados in it. But please do send those photos and let me know how you like it if you try it!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Where is @BizyDad ? Aren't you his coach?

Haha, awesome progress.
He decided to skip leg day for the last 4 weeks and he is now bulking on pizza with a daily surplus of 3000 calories.

Fortunately, the training program™ we have created together is strong enough to offset any deviation from it, and BizyDad is now becoming stronger and more shredded than ever!*

*Terms and conditions may apply. This is not medical advice. Our training program may not work as expected. We do not offer any guarantees or refunds.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Superb, we love taking action. Fantastic to see you're keeping with this heavy!

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Amazing idea, thanks.

I'll design a better "cheat meal" for Q2.

We're getting into the top secret stuff now... for bonus points add 10g L-glutamine (no gluten, dw lol) into the cream. Often what is a sugar craving is actually an amino acid craving, the dose of glutamine will satisfy that urge with 0g sugar/carb intake.

Has gut healing properties too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.