The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Headlight restoration business and scaling.

Idea threads

Zizu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 9, 2023
Croatia
As i was wet-sanding my headlights this morning, I came to the idea you could have a sidehustle restoring them. But the question is how scaleable is it.

There is a few businesses that do it here but none of them have it as a niche. It is usually a service offered by car-washes and detailers. I am not sure about the current prices, but the last two times I payed for the service (this was back in 2019-2020) i paid around 20$ for the service.

Knowing my own problem and listening to others, people are usually not worried about their headlight condition until their yearly registration comes up. If you headlights are yellow and foggy - the guys at the MOT (testing the vehicle for being roadworthy and getting the registration) can fail you.

Also, even if people remember, they will usually do something quick like polishing it with toothpaste which may last for a few days but is otherwise just a waste of time.

How would this differ from the others though?

Well, most of the businesses offering headlight restoration, require you to come to their place. I had a different idea where this would be mobile and I (or my employees) would come to the client (whatever location - home or work) and do the job. I reckon you could probably include the travel distance into the price up to 15 kilometres, and have a fee above that. Eventually I could offer more services or develop a subscription including a number of restorations a year and a set for headlight care following the restoration.

The only takeaway from all of this is that pretty much anyone could do it. All you need is some sandpaper, a car polisher (and you dont even need this, a simple pad is enough), polish, and some tape. You need to be careful not to do any damage to the vehicle but pretty much anyone could do this.

It is more of a sidehustle and I doubt you could actually make a fastlane thing out of this, but you never know.

This was an idea out of my head, hopefully I helped someone but I would also like to hear your own thoughts on why it could or could not work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
to scale to $20,000/m you would need to do 1000 headlights per month

idk how long they take but if each job takes 30 minutes, you would be able to do 2 customers per hour.

2 x 8 = 16 each employee can do 16 per day

16 x 20 work days per week = 320

320 x 3 = 960 it would take 3 employees working 40 hours a week to hit $20,000 revenue per month

margins:
160 hours per month x 3 employees = 480
480 x $20/hour = $9600 employee wage expense per month
blah blah blah
more expenses and stuff

really any business is scalable. its just a question of math. if 1 employee generates x amount of $ then you need x amount of employees to generate x dollars

Zizu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 9, 2023
Croatia
to scale to $20,000/m you would need to do 1000 headlights per month

idk how long they take but if each job takes 30 minutes, you would be able to do 2 customers per hour.

2 x 8 = 16 each employee can do 16 per day

16 x 20 work days per week = 320

320 x 3 = 960 it would take 3 employees working 40 hours a week to hit $20,000 revenue per month

margins:
160 hours per month x 3 employees = 480
480 x $20/hour = $9600 employee wage expense per month
blah blah blah
more expenses and stuff

really any business is scalable. its just a question of math. if 1 employee generates x amount of $ then you need x amount of employees to generate x dollars
Thanks for the math. As you said, anything is scalable, but it also depend on your environment (lets say living in a low or high pop area with more cars). And as for any of these businesses, it can just become a low paying job.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Add more value to the service so you can charge more. Clean and protect all the lights, windows, and so on

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Or make 3 packages: headlights only, all lights, all lights + windows. That's just an example

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.