The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have an Idea but not sure of the steps to get to final product

Idea threads

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
685%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
I know nothing about electrical engineering or what it would take to accomplish your idea, but @NeoDialectic has a fantastic post on the Idea Testing phase: Link.

Everything in there might not be valid for your use case, but the post (and the thread itself) how to test ideas quickly & dedicating the right type/amount of resources for testing.
Thanks for the shoutout. My post provides the basic skeleton of what to do, but @LateStarter did a fantastic job outlining the things you need to do for this specific application. It sounds like he even solved many of your problems by suggesting how you could bypass certification (using already certified parts). Don't overcomplicate things. Do the absolute minimal neccesary to build a decent prototype and start testing the market. You will figure out how to make it look super professional and cutting down on costs after you've confirmed there is an actual market for your idea.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
It is an electrical product to be used in home theater lighting.

1. Im pretty sure I need an electrical engineer where do I find one ?

2. How can I go about getting it prototyped ? Is there a type of person that works with people to identify what manufacturers will be needed for creating this product idea ?

As of now I am not sure where to go or who I would approach to make such a thing. I could Frankenstein something together but it definitely wont be good enough for home use and would need to be done in a manufacturing facility

3. How do I go about getting it certified / tested ? I am assuming it will need UL certification to be sold in the U.S. , not sure what the UK equivalent is called or its requirements.
Where do I find someone to do said testing ? What are they called ?

4. Anything else I am not mentioning that anyone can think of that I will need moving forward. Also any books, videos, thread posts etc. that would be helpful in this is appreciated.
1) Likely, but not necessarily. It depends on the product. An engineer only needs to sign off on documents for certification (UL, CSA, etc). If you are making a low, DC powered device that uses an off-the-shelf power supply that is already certified, you may be able to get away without one. It's situation dependent. Try Upwork.

2) Make one yourself to prove the concept. Iterate on it and refine the design. There's no point paying for someone to build you a prototype, then you discover a design flaw and have to get it done all over again. You'll still likely have to go through several iterations as you get closer to a production prototype, but save it for when you get something more commercially viable. Who you talk to, depends on what you need. Upwork (again) will be your friend. Hire someone to design/create the PCBs of your circuit design. Hire someone to build the circuits on the boards. Hire someone to design the enclosure. Hire someone to prototype a 3D print of it. Seems like a lot of hiring, doesn't it? More on this below in #4. Break it down into steps and think through the problem.

3) You have to submit production samples to a lab and have it certified. Google it. It's that simple. There are labs around that do this. Find one and ask them about their specific process and needs based on your device.

4) It sounds like you don't have a lot of expertise when it comes to the product side of things. Its fine when you're just starting out, but I'd recommend you work on understanding how you can resolve the problems you come across. Break it down into steps and research how you can:
  • get work done that you need
    • what skills are needed
    • who can do it
    • what it will cost
  • get knowledge you need
    • internet
    • books
    • mentors
    • market feedback
  • understand the process
    • ask questions to people in the process
    • apply your own logic to it and
    • understand how it applies to your situation
  • understand that the forum can be a great resource when you're stuck or need some help, but to run your business you're going to need to solve problems and identify a path forward on your own.
The old saying goes, leverage your strengths and hire your weaknesses. This is true, however you still need to have some baseline understanding for all the processes; even for your weaknesses. If you have to outsource everything and don't have any of this expertise, how can you check their work? How do you know they're delivering against what you need? These are the skills you're going to need to develop along the way to become the expert in your field.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AusAppDev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 2, 2022
Posting the idea I see as problematic since this is a public forum what stops someone from just taking the idea and running off with it ?
Ideas are cheap. Executing on them is everything. There's a ton of work going from idea to a commercial product ready for sale, odds of someone trolling a forum, stealing your idea and then developing it, while possible, are pretty slim.

it's more likely you'll get plenty of valuable insights, or lack of feedback (which is helpful as well) or "what about X,Y, Z" before you embark.

I'd strongly encourage you to get as much feedback as possible if you want to play the odds.

Sufi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jan 1, 2023
North America
Ive done the first 3 steps but I have a lot of uncertainty in the steps thereafter
1. Identified a problem
2. Identified the potential market
3. Came up with a solution

I am not sure where/ how to find the following things and rapidly execute this

2. How can I go about getting it prototyped ? Is there a type of person that works with people to identify what manufacturers will be needed for creating this product idea ?

As of now I am not sure where to go or who I would approach to make such a thing. I could Frankenstein something together but it definitely wont be good enough for home use and would need to be done in a manufacturing facility

3. How do I go about getting it certified / tested ? I am assuming it will need UL certification to be sold in the U.S. , not sure what the UK equivalent is called or its requirements.

4. Anything else I am not mentioning that anyone can think of that I will need moving forward. Also any books, videos, thread posts etc. that would be helpful in this is appreciated.

I know nothing about electrical engineering or what it would take to accomplish your idea, but @NeoDialectic has a fantastic post on the Idea Testing phase: Link.

Everything in there might not be valid for your use case, but the post (and the thread itself) how to test ideas quickly & dedicating the right type/amount of resources for testing.

FLTechGuy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 23, 2015
Ive done the first 3 steps but I have a lot of uncertainty in the steps thereafter
1. Identified a problem

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
1. Identified a problem

I would suggest, before starting developing a prototype, to test on a focus group that your solution indeed solve the painful problem you had identified.

"1. Im pretty sure I need an electrical engineer where do I find one ?"

If you can not find one among your friends and relatives go to local college/university and post an advertisement for students in electrical engineering departments.

AusAppDev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 2, 2022
Agree..to your question #4 before any prototyping go talk with installers, post the idea in forums (here or even better in enthusiast forums/groups), bonus points for having landing page to pre sell it, etc, before the lengthy and costly prototyping, certifying. And of course does the back of napkin math make sense to pursue. can check Upwork and Fivrr for contract support.

FLTechGuy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 23, 2015
Agree..to your question #4 before any prototyping go talk with installers, post the idea in forums (here or even better in enthusiast forums/groups), bonus points for having landing page to pre sell it, etc, before the lengthy and costly prototyping, certifying. And of course does the back of napkin math make sense to pursue. can check Upwork and Fivrr for contract support.
Posting the idea I see as problematic since this is a public forum what stops someone from just taking the idea and running off with it ?

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Desire to execute. People are lazy. Developing a product takes a lot of work, time and potentially money that most people aren't willing to invest.

And I agree, posting something publicly would be too risky for me as well.

FLTechGuy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 23, 2015
Desire to execute. People are lazy. Developing a product takes a lot of work, time and potentially money that most people aren't willing to invest.

And I agree, posting something publicly would be too risky for me as well.
True but this is one of those instances of being a solution that could be cobbled together in a garage but it wouldn't pass electrical certification nor look safe lol.

The biggest barriers I see is my lack of knowledge on electrical and manufacturing i.e. certification of electrical devices and the actual legitimate manufacturing of it that includes the wire, electrical connections, casing, etc. I currently cant even find manufacturers that deal in making custom wire or wiring harnesses which would be a part of it.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
True but this is one of those instances of being a solution that could be cobbled together in a garage but it wouldn't pass electrical certification nor look safe lol.

The biggest barriers I see is my lack of knowledge on electrical and manufacturing i.e. certification of electrical devices and the actual legitimate manufacturing of it that includes the wire, electrical connections, casing, etc. I currently cant even find manufacturers that deal in making custom wire or wiring harnesses which would be a part of it.
If you need someone to help set some direction where you can discuss in confidence, send me a PM. I'm an electrical engineer, and I won't steal your idea.

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
1. Identified a problem

Ask and you shall receive...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.