The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Habits of the Unscripted

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

DMNinja

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Feb 14, 2021
Greece/ Cyprus
What is an unscripted person made of?

I've been thinking long and hard about mindset, naturally leading to questions about changing it to become in line with one's values. The answer clicked about 10 minutes prior to me posting this topic. In the book "Atomic Habits by James Clear" the process of changing one's habits to reflect one's values is the process of self-actualization. You literally become your habits and your results are a lagging measure of said habits. I want to grow into becoming an unscripted entrepreneur, so the question becomes:

What are the habits are embodied by the unscripted entrepreneur? (business-agnostic)

I understand that a mindset can't change if the identity of a person doesn't change, and an identity doesn't change as long as one keeps reinforcing it with the same type of behavior. With that in mind, I decided to expand the scope of this thread (from a self-serving one) to one that provides value towards the whole forum. The aim of this thread is to facilitate for easy access to habits (identity-morphing tools) that can be implemented into one's life, as well as a quick lookup for new members that want to change their mindset after arriving to the same conclusion that I did. I understand the need for members to be able to create their own conclusions (and thus habits), but even exposure to unscripted practices are enough to get someone's mind thinking about:

What is the common denominator of all these successful people in the habits they outline? What is it they do that I don't?

@MJ DeMarco is the one that probably understands this concept inside and out, since he put in the work and figured out what's serving that identity, and what does not. I am sure many other people are just as capable, but I am not aware If/ who to point towards or even ask for input.

Thank you for your input
-Constantine

PS: Being a new user to the forum, I am not aware if tagging when not being an established member is frowned upon but if so, please remove the mention during the thread review process​

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 25, 2020
What is an unscripted person made of?

I've been thinking long and hard about mindset, naturally leading to questions about changing it to become in line with one's values. The answer clicked about 10 minutes prior to me posting this topic. In the book "Atomic Habits by James Clear" the process of changing one's habits to reflect one's values is the process of self-actualization. You literally become your habits and your results are a lagging measure of said habits. I want to grow into becoming an unscripted entrepreneur, so the question becomes:

What are the habits are embodied by the unscripted entrepreneur? (business-agnostic)

I understand that a mindset can't change if the identity of a person doesn't change, and an identity doesn't change as long as one keeps reinforcing it with the same type of behavior. With that in mind, I decided to expand the scope of this thread (from a self-serving one) to one that provides value towards the whole forum. The aim of this thread is to facilitate for easy access to habits (identity-morphing tools) that can be implemented into one's life, as well as a quick lookup for new members that want to change their mindset after arriving to the same conclusion that I did. I understand the need for members to be able to create their own conclusions (and thus habits), but even exposure to unscripted practices are enough to get someone's mind thinking about:

What is the common denominator of all these successful people in the habits they outline? What is it they do that I don't?

@MJ DeMarco is the one that probably understands this concept inside and out, since he put in the work and figured out what's serving that identity, and what does not. I am sure many other people are just as capable, but I am not aware If/ who to point towards or even ask for input.

Thank you for your input
-Constantine

PS: Being a new user to the forum, I am not aware if tagging when not being an established member is frowned upon but if so, please remove the mention during the thread review process​
In my opinion it's probably pain. At least that's what it is for me. The pain of always having to rely on someone else other than myself and my own efforts.

DMNinja

Contributor
Feb 14, 2021
Greece/ Cyprus
In my opinion it's probably pain. At least that's what it is for me. The pain of always having to rely on someone else other than myself and my own efforts.
But how does that translate into habits? In my OP, it is mentioned that one basically become what they do repeatedly. What habits do you translate your pain into, and how does those habits translate into progress?

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 25, 2020
But how does that translate into habits? In my OP, it is mentioned that one basically become what they do repeatedly. What habits do you translate your pain into, and how does those habits translate into progress?
Well for one waking up early every day haha. The longer your up, the more you'll get done. Generally speaking of course.

DMNinja

Contributor
Feb 14, 2021
Greece/ Cyprus
Well for one waking up early every day haha. The longer your up, the more you'll get done. Generally speaking of course.​
To add to my own thread, i'll also add my own simple rule:

No More Zero Production Days (nm0p)

It's extremely simple, and it's more of an entry-level habit, but it's easy to understand and adhere to.
I define Production as the action that i take towards the creation of a tangible product. I am currently working on:​
  • finishing my thesis (i think about it as a free resource)​
  • An instruction manual for a community i am involved in (results in a tangible .pdf booklet)​
  • Developing an Artificial Neural Network (ANN)​
From my experience, and from reading the book mentioned in my OP, a habit with a clear trigger and simple execution is easy to adopt. With that in mind, this will become a springboard, but for now, it's a good way to measure if a day was successful

DMNinja

Contributor
Feb 14, 2021
Greece/ Cyprus
I know it's been a long time since my last post, but I've been busy. Busy reading Unscripted again, busy picking up some niche freelance work for money, busy trying to reflect back to the past when I first read the book, and how my life has changed since then. I've been trying to "Start as if I were to continue". I've decided to keep on adding value to these threads, since they might prove to be valuable for other people

DMNinja

Contributor
Feb 14, 2021
Greece/ Cyprus
Another habit that comes from the unscripted realm, boils down to a self-reflective question. One that I just happened to ask aloud today:

How much TIME does that cost?

I know this sounds an awful lot like something straight out of Unscripted and to be fair, that's probably the originator, but it's a powerful reframe tool. Not for things you want to buy, but of the things you want to apply your time to.

I had a conversation today where I was doing a valuation on some niche freelance I am working in. When discussing my thoughts on expanding, the conversation was (almost) hijacked towards the "But outsourcing the work would mean you make much less money yourself". That's where I instinctually replied with this phrase. What that phrase implies is:

Whatever you choose to spend your time on, is (by definition) not worth the reimbursement of time spent. That effectively means that time is better spent in instances where:
  • You spend time now to not spend time later (indentured time now for free time for the rest of your life)
  • You spend time on things that you enjoy doing. A highly subjective valuation, and prone to slowlane traps. For this reason, more crucial in understanding it.
In this case, outsourcing part of the freelance work would mean that I might be pocketing less money, BUT I'd have the TIME to do something else. Like furthering my own entrepreneurship goals. Or even goofing around for a day (if I feel like doing so, that is).

This phrase holds the distinction between skill-based business models vs running a business. In other words:

If the business can't function without you, it's not a business.

Same applies to my niche, ironically enough, and I thought I'd share that with all of you.

DMNinja

Contributor
Feb 14, 2021
Greece/ Cyprus
This time, I won't add a habit per se, but rather an observation that could lead to a habit:

Opening up the TV is akin to inviting someone over to your living room to sell/ lecture you

Some context: I was away on deployment, as mentioned in my Intro, and when it finished I decided to spend time with family. They won't be around forever after all.

What I started noticing (thanks RAS!) is that they open up the TV at lunchtime when there's "news" and tons of infomercials. I'm the only one on the table not looking at the screen. Day by day, the above thought started forming.

Now what does it imply? Would YOU open your door to a direct marketing agent, sit them on a chair and let them sell you a product for 2 hours straight? No? When you open up a TV and have it play as background noise, that is exactly what you're doing.

Same applies with "news". Information repeated by "authority figures" is information accepted. Channels know about this already. And so do many of the people within this forum. Would you open up your door to any political party with an agenda, sit them beside you for lunch while you eat, so they can tell you how shit the world is and of course, how they can solve it? No? ...You get the point.

The same applies to radio by the way, but to a lesser extent, since it's not as effective as the TV.

But all the above thoughts harbor another question: Doesn't the same happen with the internet? Yes, but you get to choose what you look at.

Unlike TV, where broadcasting is controlled by a few people/ conglomerates that own the channels, a website can be owned by anyone that can pay the appropriate providers. In other words, you won't ever find anything like TFF on either TV or the Radio. You won't find pure educational content or even pure entertainment in a custom-tailored format either. I'm not a proponent of just consuming content on the internet though.

With that in mind, The original statement can be shaped into the one below:

When you consume any type of content, you invite its producer into your house to deliver content. That content is always colored by the producer's 3Bs (or in the case of prejudiced parties) what they want to pass onto you.

It's frankly impossible to find something worth your time on TV, and highly improbable to do so on the internet. But it's not impossible. Otherwise we wouldn't be here, or me writing this post. I've found it extremely polarizing to think of content consumption like the aforementioned examples. And it makes it easy to know if I should be interested in any type of content. 80's action adventures? Hell yes! Modern agenda-driven 90-min box office movies? Naah, I'll pass. News from any source? Naah. Pure data published by organizations so I can arrive to my own conclusions? Yes, I will. And so on.

Now, one last thing. I mentioned that there could be the potential for a habit here. Where and how does it fit in?

Simply substitute automated content consumption for deliberate content consumption in the same time slots that you already did.

Simple, really :) Don't turn on the radio while driving, but open up an audiobook. Don't open up the TV while having lunch. Talk to the people on your table. The ones you spend your life with. If you really need background audio during the day, open up a stream of music of your choice, if concentrating needs to happen. Substitute passive entertainment for active entertainment. This requires a lot of self-reflection and understanding of where you want to go, but it's worth it in the end. Why?

Because you get to choose instead of a prejudiced party choosing for you.

DMNinja

Contributor
Feb 14, 2021
Greece/ Cyprus
Hello everyone! I've been on a weird spot lately to be honest, party due to working on my thesis, and partly due to feeling down about the way the world's going at the moment. I'll freely admit i've produced little to no tangible work all this time. It's kinda come as a shock that the scripted 3B structure has still been binding me and I think i'll have to make progress even while bound.

I was initially thinking about posting a habit that i've found to be working, but i was unable to think of one. It's more of a whisper that i feel deep down in my soul and it's this:

Don't take what you think you have understood or internalized for granted. Doing so will make you lose your hard-earned ground. Apparently unscription is like nutrition and exercise. You either have to use it or lose it.

Frankly, i've got a question: do you think it's a good practice to keep an accountability/ mindset journal? If yes, where would you post it? I've seen journals all over the place.

Thank you for reading this short and kinda somber post

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
I read the book and I liked it! I would recommend it to any newbies on the forum. The part...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Any scholarship programs for those who can't afford the course? Broke but need this course :)...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
It's an affiliate link, so it's hard to give those up! The affiliate links are automatically...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
A week ago someone asked if one of my courses is still relevant (referring to the Upwork...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I have not offered one of these in a while, but it looks like I have time to take on an...

What are Fastlaners Currently Reading?

Forum Sponsor

Grow an online business:
- Start immediately!
- Master business skills!
- 100+ Fastlane students enrolled!
Review & Details >

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers