The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gymshark now worth $1.3bn+

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

df1992

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
May 26, 2020
London
Amazing story that I've been following for a while. Gymshark is for me, one of the best stories of humble beginnings to an absolute superstar brand. Ben Francis the founder literally started by making his own gym clothes in his garage. His story is one of hard work mixed with being a visionary.

When he couldn't find anything he liked the look of on the high street, he literally set up a workshop in his parents garage with a sewing machine (which his grandmother taught him how to use) and a screen printer. He had to juggle being a full-time university student and a night time pizza delivery driver to make ends meet.

He managed to make around 10 pieces a day, but had to work around his degree and part-time job. At first, he was just making clothes they he wanted to wear himself and enjoyed learning how to create and fulfil the orders he had received, and priced items based on what sounded about right. It took him launching an unsuccessful food supplements business and others when he was younger to find his niche in the market (which I believe was even a dropshipping site).

If you haven't followed his story, then I'd recommend his YouTube channel where he has been documenting his growth as a person and as a brand. His story is absolutely inspiring. Within 9 years of building the Gymshark brand, he is now has a net worth of $1bn from a clothing brand and has a genuine shot at taking on the big boys like Nike, Adidas etc.

So how did he do it (I've pulled this out of a forbes article which has summarised it perfectly):

Staying Humble - keeping things as simple as possible for as long as possible, scale with demand. Never underestimate the contribution of those around you.

Focusing on Customer Needs - Gymshark has a clear target audience of 18-25-year-olds whose lives revolve around fitness, fashion and music. They do not deviate from the audience and everything they do is aimed at their needs. Customers are looked after. In 2015 Gymshark suffered a website outage on Black Friday, resulting in customers not being able to get their deals. Whilst this might have broken many companies, Gymshark’s founder personally hand-wrote 2500 apology letters to customers, including discounts, who weren’t able to purchase during the crash.

Being visionaries - Part of Gymshark’s mission statement reads: “In everything we do, be true to our own vision and respectful of others. We are here to bring ideas to life. There is no idea too big, or too small… We are not future-proof. We are the future.”

Building an influencer community - Gymshark were the earliest adopters of the influencer marketing model, partnering with YouTubers including Lex Griffin and Nikki Blackketter. Now, the brand markets products through its community of Instagram influencers and YouTubers and sponsors a range of athletes, each of whom operate at the top of their game. The athletes include Irish professional boxer Katie Taylor and Ross Edgley, who in 2018 became the first person to swim (1780 miles) all the way around Great Britain.
Francis said, “From the point of view of the athletes we work with, we want to create a real, strong team that speaks to our values. And we work with them for a long, sustained period of time.”

Assembling a dream team - The brand’s HQ houses 500 team members and aims to “create a culture where every morning feels like Christmas morning” according to Hewitt. The Solihull campus also has Gymshark Lifting Club, a state-of-the-art strength training centre reserved for team members and invitation-only athletes. Although Francis is founder and owner, he has opted out of the CEO role, explaining the decision in a YouTube video called “I’m not Gymshark’s CEO anymore” and recognising, “The most difficult thing for me was learning to trust others to do the things in the business that I used to do.” He also asserted, “You need to constantly be around people who give you a reality check, people who are better than you.” and admitted he rarely communicates via email, saying it’s too slow and he prefers to talk to his team.

Documenting everything - Gymshark uses its busy social media channels to document its entire journey. Videos and images appear regularly, whenever it opens a new premises or takes a new step. There are professionally filmed and edited walkthroughs of Gymshark HQ, Gymshark Lifting Club, plus the in-person events and behind-the-scenes photoshoots by different members of the team. There are topical updates in response to C0VlD-19 and how it affected their community and fans, as well as explainers of the decision behind getting involved in certain campaigns and opting out of others.

Building the founder’s profile - Francis has his own YouTube channel, with 162k followers, where he answers in-depth Q&As about his company and role, including how he grew the business and challenges he overcomes. He also uses it to announce news and share his own journey. Francis works with so many influencers, it makes sense that he practices what he preaches. Video titles include, “My favourite apps for running Gymshark”, “Full explanation: the future of Gymshark” and “Creating the world’s greatest office”. It’s content of substance and it amasses messages of support, congratulations and secures customer loyalty.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
What about Conna Walker from HouseofCB? What about the guy who made Maniere de Voir (who had both Ben Francis and Lewis Morgan on the board when it launched)?

I don't like all three (Gymshark, HoCB, MdV), partly out of envy, but mostly because I don't see the value in what they've built. Yes, they are very successful businesses (which I respect), but what did they do that the millions of other wannabe's did not? Easy to have values when you're getting 100's of orders per hour - a more prudent lesson would be how the demand was created to get to that level.

One company (or at least the founders of) I respect is Represent clothing. The guy behind it (and I just found all of these on Twitter) drives a Lambo and their company is rocking it. The company grew, ostensibly, because Justin Bieber started wearing some of their clothes.

If you want my 0.2 (I've looked at the above in some detail), it's mostly a numbers game. The Gymshark thing grates me because the guy's being called a visionary which I disagree with.

The big thing all of the above managed to do was create social proof, mostly with influencers, but also with celebrities and other noteworthy people: -
  • Gymshark was the first to get involved with fitness influencers.
  • Maniere de Voir was set up by an ex-professional soccer/football player, who managed to get his teammates to wear some of his stuff.
  • House of CB was originally called Celeb Boutique (tapping into the desire of millions to mimic the clothing of their favourite celebrities), which then pivoted into its own-name brand - having styles which the founder managed to get worn by the likes of Jennifer Lopez.
  • Represent had Bieber wear some of their stuff.
The point of writing this is that it's easy to look at these stories and think they had some sort of visionary reason to make the companies... but, at the heart of it, most of them made a "me too" (or at least a slightly different) product and got it positioned in a way which built rapport with a certain demographic.

The explosive nature of their growth came from the way in which social media has made virality accessible without $millions in ad spend.

Not to detract from what they've done (that's not my point) - the point is that I would be very careful about what you choose to believe about their "come up", or (more importantly), how you or I could replicate it.

-

Some good interviews with the aforementioned folks:

Represent Clothing
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3yACmVwyCg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eccXXS2qJW0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZXNmbiRvtw

Manier de Voir
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDBn0AVZyYs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfnjSTLtHIY

HouseofCB

----------------------------------

EDIT
If anyone is interested (and whilst I remember), I posted almost exactly the same sentiment (to what I outlined above) to a blog I read about the company. You can see my comment under the name "Hank Primrose": Gymshark Analysis - How Successful Are They Really?! - Normanie

Last edited:

df1992

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
May 26, 2020
London
The Gymshark thing grates me because the guy's being called a visionary which I disagree with.

Personally I'd argue that anyone who has built from a garage to a business worth $1.3bn is a visionary + a very hard worker.

The big thing all of the above managed to do was create social proof, mostly with influencers, but also with celebrities and other noteworthy people: -

most of them made a "me too" (or at least a slightly different) product and got it positioned in a way which built rapport with a certain demographic.

For sure, Gymshark absolutely nailed working with influencers specific for their audience and created crazy social proof. Literally every fitness person on insta wears Gymshark. But they also absolutely nailed the product for that audience.

I'd argue that most products (unless genuinely innovative) are in some shape or form "me too", but Gymshark created their own demand.

Thanks for the videos, i'll check them out.

Ps. I'm actually not a fan of the GymShark clothing (I haven't got the body for it lol) but just a massive fan of the story and personally find it inspiring. I love seeing the success of someone who has clearly worked hard and built a brand from nothing.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
Ps. I'm actually not a fan of the GymShark clothing (I haven't got the body for it lol) but just a massive fan of the story and personally find it inspiring. I love seeing the success of someone who has clearly worked hard and built a brand from nothing.

I'm not knocking their success, just saying don't see the guy as a visionary.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I'm not knocking their success, just saying don't see the guy as a visionary.

Every video I have watched of him he is painting a vision.

If you watch enough videos you see the older things he mentioned are now complete and he is moving on to the next level. There is a consistent pattern of vision > completion.

Not quite sure how you define visionary but he passes the test 100% in my book.

---

His buddy he started it with (and who had 20% shares) got 100 million pounds for selling his shares to allow for an outsider investor to move in. Quite a crazy week for that lad I am sure ha!

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
Not quite sure how you define visionary but he passes the test 100% in my book.

Someone who went against almost insurmountable odds to achieve something no-one thought possible.

I don't want to poo-poo the thread, just don't see how the guy's a visionary. He'd be a visionary if he sat there in his garage and said "one day, we're going to do X and make Y impact".

They sell leggings. They received a ton of orders for said leggings and used the money to fund further expansion (as any half competent business manager would do).

They have no unique IP, their R&D is non existent and have no economic moat. If he/they were truly visionary, they'd have innovated heavily on their product (like Dyson) and created new market segments they could take ownership of... similar to Apple under Jobs or Fairchild & Intel under Noyce.

Robert Noyce, thinking about it, is someone I would consider visionary. The following interview was conducted in 1981... 13 years before the Internet started to take off:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG2jwWtjyXU

--

His buddy he started it with (and who had 20% shares) got 100 million pounds for selling his shares to allow for an outsider investor to move in. Quite a crazy week for that lad I am sure ha!

Absolutely :cool:

df1992

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
May 26, 2020
London

Wow I bet that lad is having a fantastic week haha.. epic.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
  • Gymshark was the first to get involved with fitness influencers.

So a guy who followed his vision to build his company and used marketing that was relatively new in the niche to plan for the future grew the company to $1 billion dollars, and now took on outside investment to prepare his company even more for the future is somehow not a visionary. :cool:

but what did they do that the millions of other wannabe's did not?

Grow a billion dollar company

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
How many people would order some product from China, run FB ads and then giveup after no sales?

Once again execution trumps all.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I've been following Gymshark's story for a while, glad to read he's finding major success.

Also growing a billion dollar company in 8 years is absolutely ridiculously bonkers, no idea how anyone can downplay that.

It's an incredible effort, awesome to see.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
So a guy who followed his vision to build his company and used marketing that was relatively new in the niche to plan for the future grew the company to $1 billion dollars, and now took on outside investment to prepare his company even more for the future is somehow not a visionary. :cool:

Grow a billion dollar company

By this logic, Kylie Jenner is also a visionary.

now took on outside investment to prepare his company even more for the future is somehow not a visionary.
Companies do this all the time, it's called Series A.

How many people would order some product from China, run FB ads and then giveup after no sales?

Once again execution trumps all.
This has been my point exactly. Gymshark always had sales. If he'd done it for 15 years without sales and kept at it regardless of what other people said, then, yes, I'd have said he was a visionary.

They set up a dropshipping store - which originally sold supplements. They pivoted to clothes because it was more profitable or something. At no point in the beginning was it about trying to revolutionize the fitness industry, that is a confirmation bias.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
At no point in the beginning was it about trying to revolutionize the fitness industry, that is a confirmation bias.
Vision and revolutionizing an industry are completely different things. You can have the "vision" of selling a lot of fitness apparel (or widgets, or whatever). Doesn't mean you have to portray yourself as the next Steve Jobs-like visionary though. To me this is just "strategic thinking".

I cringe everytime I see those visionary, changing the world, etc, rah-rah lines. But it works well in the social media fitness bubble, where every fitness influencer is also a motivational guru. So it makes sense for the founder of one of the biggest brands to portray that image, too. Definitely a very smart guy.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
Vision and revolutionizing an industry are completely different things. You can have the "vision" of selling a lot of fitness apparel (or widgets, or whatever). Doesn't mean you have to portray yourself as the next Steve Jobs-like visionary though. To me this is just "strategic thinking".

I cringe everytime I see those visionary, changing the world, etc, rah-rah lines. But it works well in the social media fitness bubble, where every fitness influencer is also a motivational guru. So it makes sense for the founder of one of the biggest brands to portray that image, too. Definitely a very smart guy.
Agreed.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
uEPF4dC.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.