The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Group Buying / Daily Deal Site Idea

Idea threads

DustinG

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 28, 2011
An idea I've been kicking around for the last few days is either or Group Buying or Daily Deals (or maybe a combination of them both) site focused on the ski/snowboard industry. The goal would be to let Ski Resorts offer lift tickets and hotel packages at discounted rates.

Could potentially solve 2 problems.

1. Lift tickets are expensive. People don't want to pay full price for lift tickets. While ski areas often offer discounts, they are often small (10-15%, which is not usually enough to convince someone to go to one mountain over another). 50% off lift tickets entice a greater # of buyers.

2. Ski areas are always looking to draw more visitors on non-peak days. While ski areas are expensive to run, they do not hold inventory (at least regarding selling lift tickets). It's not like a restaurant, where offering a 50% discount, and then paying another 25% to the group buying site, usually eats away at their profit. While ski areas make a majority of their money on lift tickets, increasing visitors also results in more people to spend $ in their restaurants and shops.

One of the biggest challenges to this would be the sales end of it, and getting through to the decision makers are large resorts to try to convince them to run deals. Sustaining the business outside of ski season could also be challenging, but there would be a potential to feature lodging deals during other months, for example. The main competition would be the large sites like Groupon & Living Social, as well as local sites. There doesn't seem to be any other sites out there primarily targeting the ski/board industry.

Does anyone on here have any experience running daily deals or group buying sites on here?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BrucetonGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Sep 28, 2011
There is some more competition other than Groupon and Living Social.....

Liftopia.com

Competition is healthy though...just look at all of the travel sites out there. Best of luck!

DustinG

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 28, 2011
There is some more competition other than Groupon and Living Social.....

Liftopia.com

Competition is healthy though...just look at all of the travel sites out there. Best of luck!

Liftopia focuses on selling discounted lift tickets (usually at 10-15% off). They are not a group-buying or daily deals site.

BrucetonGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Sep 28, 2011
There doesn't seem to be any other sites out there primarily targeting the ski/board industry.

This is what I was going off of. I am not sure how big of a group you are looking for. I can buy 8 lift tickets on the site at discounts between 35%-45% this isn't 10%-15%. I'm not trying to stop you from pursuing the business, I am just showing you that there is competition out there.

If you follow the Groupon model, it will take a LONG time to make money. Groupon deals in different industries and still struggles to operate in the positive. Here's an article on Groupon that is worth reading if you are thinking about going down this road.

http://www.businessinsider.com/blodget-groupon-analysis-2011-8?op=1

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DustinG

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 28, 2011
Thanks for the info. You're probably right.

BrucetonGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Sep 28, 2011
Thanks for the info. You're probably right.

Again, not meant as discouragement but rather just some "market research" to show you what you are up against. If you are still interested in pursuing this business, I would really concentrate on their site (Liftopia) and find 1-5 things that you could do differently or approve on and take it from there. It seems to me (after Googling) that this is really the only "player" in the market right now. As I had mentioned before, there are many travel sites so why can't there be more than one site like this?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.