elgreco
PARKED
Hello everyone, here is my introduction.
I live in Boston and I'm here to learn. Nowhere close to being a millionaire at the moment but I'm finally ready to change that. I read MJ's book and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I really expected to be cross-sold a bunch of services and it ended up being anything but that. Text book S-U-C-S (Superior Unexpected Customer Service)! I can't remember the last time I inhaled a book this quickly. Very inspirational, so thank you MJ. I had already started making changes in my career by the time I picked it up, but it definitely kicked my thinking to another level.
I come from a web consulting background. I spent over ten years working on web software projects for large companies. What attracted me to consulting at first was the diversity or projects and the learning opportunities. But it eventually started becoming repetitive and limited in growth and income opportunities. Consulting does reach a plateau after which your only way up is to become a partner or VP of some sort. I certainly didn't envy the VPs in my company, so two years ago, I made a move.
In late 2009, I joined a web startup that an ex-colleague of mine had already founded. I had worked with him before and I already respected him for what he brought to the table. We are still working at growing the company today. We have grown to over 12 employees and, while it's hard work, things are looking up. There is still something missing though.
While it's a startup, it's not mine. I'm employee #1 with early stock but still not a founder. Also, since we are short on programmers, I end up doing most of the tech work; the "business types" are doing all the brainstorming and thinking and handing down their ideas to get implemented. So, while the upside is much better, I still feel like a cog in the wheel. Time to change this.
Like MJ said, I'm ready to stop handing over control to others and take over. The current startup gig is great in terms of time flexibility, so I can leverage this to put my free time to good use. I'm currently brainstorming ideas that I can quickly prototype. The plan is to have something going in a few months that I can truly invest my extra time on and grow to a full-time gig. A final change of lanes if you will to the driver's seat. My goal(s): getting out of debt and reaching the financial and time flexibility to visit my family in Greece (where I'm originally from) whenever I feel like it.
I'm hoping to learn a lot from the more experienced folks here and at the same time, I'll do my best to contribute back what I know and what I learn.
Looking forward to meeting you all.
I live in Boston and I'm here to learn. Nowhere close to being a millionaire at the moment but I'm finally ready to change that. I read MJ's book and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I really expected to be cross-sold a bunch of services and it ended up being anything but that. Text book S-U-C-S (Superior Unexpected Customer Service)! I can't remember the last time I inhaled a book this quickly. Very inspirational, so thank you MJ. I had already started making changes in my career by the time I picked it up, but it definitely kicked my thinking to another level.
I come from a web consulting background. I spent over ten years working on web software projects for large companies. What attracted me to consulting at first was the diversity or projects and the learning opportunities. But it eventually started becoming repetitive and limited in growth and income opportunities. Consulting does reach a plateau after which your only way up is to become a partner or VP of some sort. I certainly didn't envy the VPs in my company, so two years ago, I made a move.
In late 2009, I joined a web startup that an ex-colleague of mine had already founded. I had worked with him before and I already respected him for what he brought to the table. We are still working at growing the company today. We have grown to over 12 employees and, while it's hard work, things are looking up. There is still something missing though.
While it's a startup, it's not mine. I'm employee #1 with early stock but still not a founder. Also, since we are short on programmers, I end up doing most of the tech work; the "business types" are doing all the brainstorming and thinking and handing down their ideas to get implemented. So, while the upside is much better, I still feel like a cog in the wheel. Time to change this.
Like MJ said, I'm ready to stop handing over control to others and take over. The current startup gig is great in terms of time flexibility, so I can leverage this to put my free time to good use. I'm currently brainstorming ideas that I can quickly prototype. The plan is to have something going in a few months that I can truly invest my extra time on and grow to a full-time gig. A final change of lanes if you will to the driver's seat. My goal(s): getting out of debt and reaching the financial and time flexibility to visit my family in Greece (where I'm originally from) whenever I feel like it.
I'm hoping to learn a lot from the more experienced folks here and at the same time, I'll do my best to contribute back what I know and what I learn.
Looking forward to meeting you all.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
