The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Granite Countertops - Training & Tools?

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I recently got a quote for Granite Countertops for the flip I'm working, and I was astonished. Here's how it broke down:

Materials: $352.80
Installation: $1818.00
Labor to undermount sink: $200.00

So it's almost all labor... $2000 worth....

The guy said that some of his regular builder/flipper customers do buy the stuff from them and then install it themselves for big savings, but I'm wondering how to get my crew the right training / tools to be able to do this.

Anybody that has done it before please respond with your reco's, as I'm googling and haven't found much so far... I'm also asking my guy at the Granite place if he knows anyone local...

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What is the square footage of the top? Should come out to $40-80 sq foot dependent on material grade.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I found a cool website called www.toolocity.com that has all the tools you need to do it yourself along with videos. I dunno if I would want to devote the kind of time required though, since it looks very intensive.

What I'm investigating now is -- would it be a significant savings to have the granite company fabricate it completely and have my guys just carry it in and install it... (I understand granite installation only requires the use of liquid nails to hold it into the cabinets and nothing else?

-Hakrjak

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
What thickness? Any seams?

That is where you may run into problems... if you want seems blended and polished, errrr, I dunno, it's not hard, but you can understand the complications.

Mounting: yes, silicone or construction adhesive. All you're trying to accomplish is self leveling and a tiny bit of adhearing. Same for the backsplash. Be sure to caulk the joint with a small bead of clear silicone after install to prevent water damage.

Same for the sink, but dependant on counter thickness... you can use mounting hardware, but again, if it's thin, you run the risk of cracking it when drilling, ESPECIALLY, without the proper tools. Flipping the top and adhering the sink is common practice as well, but the obvious cure time is annoying.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Oh geez, I just realized what you really asked! lol

YES, I would have it fabricated. The cutout for the under mount sink should be done on a cnc or with a slab saw if you want it to be perfect.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I found a cool website called www.toolocity.com that has all the tools you need to do it yourself along with videos. I dunno if I would want to devote the kind of time required though, since it looks very intensive.

What I'm investigating now is -- would it be a significant savings to have the granite company fabricate it completely and have my guys just carry it in and install it... (I understand granite installation only requires the use of liquid nails to hold it into the cabinets and nothing else?

-Hakrjak

I don't think that materials $352 includes cutting to size, cutting the hole for the sink, polishing and edging the granite. Don't forget the holes for the faucet!

So the first thing I'd ask is what the cost is to deliver the slab of granite, cut, polished and edged to my door.

I think the toughest part about the installation is making the seam invisible.

How do they do granite in colorado? Do you get a 1.25" slab or a 3/4" slab? Do they stick plywood under the slab and then glue an extra piece at the lip so the granite looks thicker than it is?

Here in Phoenix they go the cheapo way with the plywood. Back in Chicago it was full 1.25" slabs.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Most everyone these days is using pre-finished granite tops that are either 8' or 10' long, 26" deep, and have a standard bullnose on them.

We used this for our last project and-- get this-- the granite top (needed 2, before cuts) were actually CHEAPER than laminate tops at Home Depot!!!

Thing is, you either need to cut them down yourself (sinks are hard, the rest is easy), or hire someone.

And since all the granite guys are now having to use these prefinished counters, ALL of them have raised their rates. Our granite guy used to charge $500 a day to fabricate (incl install)-- NOW he charges $900 a day, to make up for the fact that he doesn't get paid for fabrication anymore!

-Russ H.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I find granite isn't that much more than corian. Unless you are doing some weird shape or something.

Sounds like they are padding the install. Tell them the economy sucks and they need to do better. Tell them no one is making any money now and you can't afford to pay them much more than what corian would cost. If they balk F them, lots of granite guys.

Keep it simple to, don't create extra work. Standard everything to minimize cutting! No extra cut outs for the sink like for soap dispensers! Simple, simple, simple.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Eh, I tried the "get creative" approach, but it looks like they must be getting plenty of business still because they replied that this was the lowest they could go on price.

I think I might just go with laminate tops for $900 including install. Although I'm competing with a house down the street that has granite so I'd almost like to have it, even though I've got 250 more sq ft and am going to be able to offer my house at probably $30k less than the house down the street...

- Hakrjak

- Hakrjak

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
It depends on the house. If its a middle of the road house for your market corian counters should be fine, thats usualy not a deal breaker.

Sometimes on the new houses we will drag our feet on installing the carpets and counters, this way if someone has to have XX we can bargin it in.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.