The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

gradem.io - a math solver saas

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

real_rbl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
262%
Mar 5, 2019
I finally finished an MVP without letting feature creep get to me. In a way, I always took the path of feature creep because it allowed me to avoid the thing I’m terrible at: marketing & growth. Engineering offers a concrete problem with concrete answers that can be grinded. Growth and marketing less so.

More importantly, focus on features has the added benefit that I can’t fail. I just added new feature X, regardless of how long it takes me to complete is a success every time. Failure to grow is failure. Period.

In a way I’m facing my biggest fear: failure.

My goals going forward are
  1. Growth
  2. Feedback on product
  3. Adding more functional math
I'm all ears to feedback -- ways to improve my landing page, SEO, copywriting, etc. My primary mechanism for growth at this stage is going to where my target audience is: math help forums.

In regards to monetization... my primary goal right now is to get users onboarded and using the product so I can debug issues.

Once I get my analysis engine up and running, I can run a freemium model of x problems a month free and a membership for unlimited anlaysis. I'm also looking into B2B by going after schools/districts to create agreements that would integrate the platform into their existing LMS (learning management solution).. so assignments generated via gradem can be imported directly into blackboard, etc.

I'm hoping for a few growth pathways
  1. Virality via sharing problems/solutions with friends/tutors/teachers
  2. Scraping math help forums etc manually (then automatically) to post links like this. I still need to do some kind of CTA to signup after that demo process.
The two big areas of development for me are:
  1. Building out the analysis engine to support more math
  2. More UI features for "teachers" (assign problems, create groups/classes, etc)

I'll be splitting my time 50/50 between dev & marketing going forward. I'm also trying to figure out the best approach to bring people onboard this project (should I raise? how to split equity with people coming on? this is way past idea at this stage)

I'll be posting updates here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I guess you should not focus raising capital right now. Instead, you should try to get money from the user.

The stage to raise money is when the business is working great and you want to growth. But if you don't have something to show to the investor (cash flow) is going to be difficult to go further. At least in my opinion of course.

By the way, the app looks awesome. Do you think to create and native app (iOS or Android)?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
You don’t need Vulture Capital.

Get your MVP into the hands of users. Join these math forums/groups and talk to your potential customers.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
  1. Growth
  2. Feedback on product
  3. Adding more functional math
I'm literally just spitballing here so feel free to totally ignore me if you hate everything I'm about to type.

1 Growth/ 2 Feedback
I think you need a quick sales video or a slightly sexier landing page? I would need just a little bit more information before I signed up even if it was a free account.
Since 99% of kids right now are currently being home schooled, can you reach out to schools near you and see if they would be willing to have kids try this? It's literally the perfect timing since the school year is ending soon anyway. Once different age levels tests it, you should be able to get more ideas for future services and improvements that can be made.

3. Will be able to happen easily once 1 and 2 are done

This is a STEM tool-- school districts have budgets for stem educational products. Not to mention there are hundreds of websites that specialize in stem tools and toys (STEMfinity | STEM Education). There are also grants that some of these companies offer. You could look into those. Honestly my suggestion would be to license this to one of the big guys in the STEM Education industry.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

real_rbl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
262%
Mar 5, 2019
I guess you should not focus raising capital right now. Instead, you should try to get money from the user.
Get your MVP into the hands of users. Join these math forums/groups and talk to your potential customers.

Agreed. My goal right now is to spend 50% of my day on the marketing side and reaching out to users to get feedback and iterate.

The other 50% I know I need to iterate on dev wise I'll be working on too (enhancing the level of math that is supported & building out the analytics engine).

By the way, the app looks awesome. Do you think to create and native app (iOS or Android)?

No I'll stay 100% web app (with future PWA support). All my projects 2020 and forward will be web app only for a multitude of reasons:

1. In accordance with CENTS principle, I give up control by using an app platform.
2. For the handwritten recognition / analytics engine to work, you need an online connection. App doesnt work offline anyways so no advantages to being native.
3. Browsers are becoming basically as good as being native on device. So just develop to one platform (web) and it can be used on any device. (scale engineering efforts)
4. Barrier to entry is low providing a link vs making someone download an app.

This is one of my answers to the question "What's one truth that most people disagree with you on"... web apps are the future.

1 Growth/ 2 Feedback
I think you need a quick sales video or a slightly sexier landing page? I would need just a little bit more information before I signed up even if it was a free account.
Since 99% of kids right now are currently being home schooled, can you reach out to schools near you and see if they would be willing to have kids try this? It's literally the perfect timing since the school year is ending soon anyway. Once different age levels tests it, you should be able to get more ideas for future services and improvements that can be made.

Yeah I definitely need some kind of tutorial page or something... currently my "lead" is to link directly to the problem they are trying to solve (without requiring login). I put that link in the OP.

This is a STEM tool-- school districts have budgets for stem educational products. Not to mention there are hundreds of websites that specialize in stem tools and toys (STEMfinity | STEM Education). There are also grants that some of these companies offer. You could look into those. Honestly my suggestion would be to license this to one of the big guys in the STEM Education industry.

I have loftier aspirations but yeah we'll see how the initial traction goes and pivot accordingly. Thanks for the link -- not heard of those guys.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
My main feedback is that the user interface (especially landing page) needs a lot more work especially if young students will be using this.

Some inspiration: gameball.co and cloudways.com.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.